Sulfate free shampoos/conditioner leaving hair greasy?

LV Luvr

O.G.
Nov 27, 2006
So I have been using sulfate free for awhile. Shampoo only on the top and conditioner only on my ponytail. It seems when I get out of the shower it's like I haven't even conditioned my hair for one. and then secondly the next day or so it's very greasy. I almost want to go back to one with sulfate because i think my hair looked so much healthier. Anyone else have this problem?

Also I got the BKT and it seems that it's even greasier. ugh nastiness.

If sulfates worked just fine on your hair and it looked better, why would you switch? Just curious. Most people use sulfate-free because it makes their hair appear better. If it's not working for you, don't use it. The clarifying shampoo also is a good idea if you need sulfate-free for some other reason.

If she uses products w/ sulfates it will reduce the length of her BB.

Which line are you using? I didn't find sulfate-free to make my hair greasy and I've tried at least 3 lines - Enjoy, BB Acai & Coppolla. I did find my hair was a bit oilier when my BB was fresh though. I think our oil glands are reacting to the chemicals.

I have really oily skin, so my hair gets greasy looking pretty quick. I find that with sulfate-free shampoos, I have to put a little more effort into scrubbing my roots all over, otherwise I get greasy patches where I was lazy. Contrast that with when I used shampoo with sulfates in it - I mainly only scrubbed the top, and then lightly scrubbed the shampoo through the rest of my roots and the length of the hair while rinsing the shampoo out, no greasies.

My hair is thick (lots of strands) but fine in texture of each strand. After using sulfate-free shampoos for over a year, my hair is generally a little flatter to my head on top but feels fuller and with more movement throughout the length than it was when I used the other shampoos. Shampoos with sulfates definitely left the hair with a little more body at the top of my head though.

Hope that helps.

What brand(s) of shampoo and conditioner are you using?

If you are trying to go sulfate free, using products with silicones in them may build up on your hair and make it look worse.

I use a sulfate free shampoo 2-3x/wk, conditioner wash 1-2x/wk and just water wash 1-2x/wk. My scalp is no longer greasy and oily!

I have no suggestions, as most sulphate-free although good for the first wash, leaves my hair more parched than The Sahara after a while which is the complete opposite to your experience, but is still very annoying..

Agreed with Swanky.

If you had BB done to your hair, it's highly-recommended that you use any Sulfate-Free shampoo (conditioner doesn't matter). Otherwise, it's going to shorten the life of your BB/Keratin.

With regards to clarifying shampoo, make sure to use the one that's Sulfate-Free especially if your hair is color-treated. Yes, there's such a thing :biggrin:. A good product to look into is called Pureology. They have different types of shampoo; Hydrate, Volume, Repair, Smooth...They pretty much everything if you need.

G'Luck!

One more thing: Sulfate-Free shampoos are lather-free (with the exception of Paul Mitchell). Meaning they aren't supposed to "bubble". So, maybe you're using more than required which is why your hair tends to be oily (?)

Sometimes when I use sulfate-free, I feel like my hair is not totally clean...like it's flat and dull. I use Loreal Everpure.

I found that the longer I used it, the better my scalp adjusted to it. Also batiste dry shampoo is amazing! You can get it at sally's. It absorbs excess oil and gives you volume and texture as a result.

I have no suggestions, as most sulphate-free although good for the first wash, leaves my hair more parched than The Sahara after a while which is the complete opposite to your experience, but is still very annoying..

Have just realized something to make me eat my words, because I regularly use a sulphate-free Kerastase product called 'Chroma sensitive - Caressing cleansing balm' every other wash (every other wash as it's so darn expensive) and I really love it! It makes my hair all silky and lovely, and for a lazybones like me, is also super fantastic because there's no need for conditioner - an application of 5 pumps does it all, which means a quicker shower!:biggrin:

I had the BB last year and switched to the sulfate free shampoos. I did find my hair greasy and flat afterward too . I was using Loreal's Everpure line. Then last month I got another BB type treatment and my hairdresser recommended trying the Bamboo line from Alterna. I was skeptical but I got the shampoo and conditioner for volume and the dry oil mist. It smells great and works. I am able to wash/cond every other day or if I wanted to go longer.