Suggestions on No Longer Used Bags Would Be Greatly Appreciated

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I have been on this forum for almost three years and have enjoyed every second. I have also bought a large number of beautiful bags, many more than I could ever have imagined. I would like to make my collection smaller. I am afraid to try to sell any on Ebay given some of the horror stories I have read here. Has anyone successfully used consignment shops to sell bags? I would really like to be able to donate them to someplace that would appreciate their value and get the most for them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated; I am sorry if this is duplicative of any other thread or posted in the wrong place; I did not find any in my searches. TIA!

2. #2 Aug 8, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
    HI,
    Maybe try Bonanzle or Craigslist. I know Craigslist is free to post and sell things. Bonanzle charges a small fee. (So I have heard) Consignment shops aren't the greatest place. I have one near me and they price their Coach at 1/3 of the going price (they check Ebay) and then they pay you 50% of the third. (You are paid when you drop your items off) Another consignment shop pays 40% and can drop the price the longer it doesn't sell. (They pay you later)
    Otherwise, would family or friends be willing to buy your handbags?
    Good Luck!!

Lynne :biggrin:

3. I use one consignment shop, but I very rarely sell my bags. I found one that carried other comparable bags at the price I would expect. There are some online consignors, I've never done that but someone else would be able to share their experience. You won't make as much as eBay, but to me it's worth it because I don't have the expertise or feedback, and I sell so infrequently.

4. Thank you both so much; your info is very helpful. I have never used a consignment shop before but I may try to see what is around.

5. The consignment shop I have bought from sells for 30-50% retail and keeps half - so I wanted to try eBay - spent my entire Sunday trying to figure it out!

I'm soooo not looking forward to the questions/drama/other issues I've heard about because I 'don't suffer fools gladly' and get enough of that at work.

After trying to post a picture for half an hour (DH has a Masters in IT and was no help whatsover!) I was ready to keep them, go consignment or just give them to charity!

If you don't need/want the money then maybe a charity that outfits poor/welfare women for job interviews? That's what I will do with anything that doesn't sell.

6. central TX has an organization that collects new & gently used handbags to be given to women in shelters who have left their abusers...the bags are donated, then helpful info is stitched inside the bag then distributed to the shelters...there may be a similar effort in your area.

7. Thanks so much. I will look into all of these.

8. another vote for Bonanzle, it's alot easier and friendlier to use than Ebay

9. Try Bonanzle. It may take a while for your bags to sell but you'll get more money than consigning even if you have to lower your price gradually over time. I find it easy to post pics on there too.

10. If you're not in a rush to sell, I suggest Bonanzle. If you want a good chance at seeing money within six months, I suggest you look elsewhere. I wouldn't be so scared of ebay, either. There are thousands of transactions going off without a hitch on ebay every single day, and the horror stories are just a small percentage. Just my two cents.

As for charities, there's FredeLA. I don't personally have any experience with them but maybe someone else here does.

11. There's www.fashionphile.com here in Beverly Hills. I recently sold three of my bags through them. I did consignment with them and came out quite well.

There's also www.yoogiscloset.com, in Seattle, which I'm in contact with right now to sell a couple of LV Epis. I know those who've done really well selling to them. So, I'll see what they offer.

I believe in flipping bags that I'm no longer using a lot and then move on to something else fabulous.

12. Thank you all so much. This is all so helpful; I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!