Suggestions needed

vtfroggie

>.<
O.G.
May 14, 2008
I purchased a bag off of the bay last week that was listed NWOT and further in the listing NWT/NWOT was defined as never washed nor worn, no flaws.
I picked up the bag this morning from the post office and looked it over to make sure it was in as-described condition. Upon inspection of the inside, I immediately knew that it had been worn. There are some light marks (make-up, perhaps) and a small pen mark on the interior. Nothing major, but enough for me to notice. I was already having a bad morning, so I was furious at the fact that it had been used, though it had been listed as NWOT and suggested to be a great gift.
I had to stop by DH's place of work before heading to school for the day anyways, so while I was there I had him look it over. He told me that he thought the bag was fine, especially knowing that I could clean up the interior with no problem. He then proceeded to tell me that I am far more picky about my bags than most, so to most people it would still look like a NWOT bag. I suppose it frustrates me b/c even if I use the bag 1 time before selling it and I know that it is in brand new condition, I still list it as having been used.
So my question is, should I just side w/ DH, wipe down the interior lining, and let it go? I've been pining after this bag for over a year now and think it'll meet my expectations once I've got the interior cleaned. While I wouldn't have paid quite as much for the bag had I known it was used, the price I'd have been willing to pay for a used bag in this condition wouldn't necessarily be considered significantly less.

Jun 25, 2008
I think your DH is not the right person to get an opinion about something like this. Of course he's going to say you're too picky. Even when you're not picky they tell you you're too picky.... A NWT/NWOT bag is not supposed to have signs of wear. Period. It's supposed to be new and unused. Having said that, I have seen super picky people drive themselves crazy over the most insignificant details. Even a brand new bag will have a mark or two when looked under a magnifying glass.

Anyway...it's impossible to say whether or not your being too picky about this bag without seeing the bag. You could post photos from the auction and photos taken by you showing the wear you're describing. That would help others give an educated opinion about whether or not you got a SNAD and should file a PP dispute to get your money back or try to negotiate a partial refund with the seller due to the interior's condition.

:smile:

abbiesmommy

Dreaming of LV.....
Apr 5, 2009
Agree with Karmen,I would like to see photos of the mishap going on to tell you how I too would feel.Agreed-- DH they do not wear or use bags--well most do not :P ,so probably not the best to judge.I too agree a NWOT AND NEW means to be BRAND SPANKING NEW,However I have seen threads where a girl said she listed a bag NWOT and only used it a few weeks??? OK Do not agree with that one bit to me a NWT OR NWOT is just that-- brand spanking new I have never carried or used it ,or I removed the tags expecting to use but NEVER EVER DID.I too would be annoyed by the fact she was NOT honest in her description because yes I agree if you have used the bag only a day it is still USED...Not NWOT...Agree also if you know upfront a bag is even slighty used then it would be your decision how high to bid and if you even want that particular bad or a different one...

Ellie Mae

Peace B with U
May 24, 2008
NEW, IMO means "unused". Per ebay listing policies, new is unused.
There was a thread recently on the ebay forum as to opinions of "new".. and opinions varied. There is currently a thread on the General Handbag forum whereby a poster states she buys clothing, wears it once and returns it to the store. And sees nothing wrong with that. :nuts: SO, i suppose even buying directly from the store, it may have a tag and we may think it's new!

An item being represented as new should not EVER have been used, IMO. I too would be irritated by this mis-representation. What to do depends upon how much you want the bag and the price paid. At the very least, I would probably have a convo w/ the seller about the fact that the bag has clearly been used. Seller's response may give you some insight as to how to proceed, and will help you assess what feedback you want to leave.

kristikate

Oct 21, 2009
I would agree with the previous 2 posters. It would be a much different situation if the description had stated 'gently used'. But NWOT means NEW. You bid according to false information. I hope the seller would be willing to do a partial refund.

MarneeB

~Love My Dogs~
O.G.
Mar 15, 2009
I would have expected a NEW, NEVER USED bag also. Event though the spots may be small and easy to clean, the fact is the bag's not the way it was described. I think it's up to you on whether you want to clean it and keep it. I would definitely contact the seller and let them know it's not new as they may have thought. Maybe you could get a partial refund, since it is used and you may not have bid as high had you known that.
I think if the bag's not NWT or NWOT as listed, then it is indeed as SNAD case. Good luck!

alij78

Nov 26, 2007
I agree, new without tags implies the item has not been used at all- I would perhaps contact the seller with pictures of the marks and ask for a small refund explaining you would not have paid as much if you knew the bag had marks etc. She may be completely reasonable and perhaps shocked herself that such marks are there in the first place having genuinely not known

abbiesmommy

Dreaming of LV.....
Apr 5, 2009
NEW, IMO means "unused". Per ebay listing policies, new is unused.
There was a thread recently on the ebay forum as to opinions of "new".. and opinions varied. There is currently a thread on the General Handbag forum whereby a poster states she buys clothing, wears it once and returns it to the store. And sees nothing wrong with that. :nuts: SO, i suppose even buying directly from the store, it may have a tag and we may think it's new!

An item being represented as new should not EVER have been used, IMO. I too would be irritated by this mis-representation. What to do depends upon how much you want the bag and the price paid. At the very least, I would probably have a convo w/ the seller about the fact that the bag has clearly been used. Seller's response may give you some insight as to how to proceed, and will help you assess what feedback you want to leave.
Agree with above..email the seller and go from there..and BTW EM---YUCK!! Wearing a item and returning it....GROSS...:sick:

vtfroggie

>.<
O.G.
May 14, 2008
Thanks ladies for the advice. I tried to take pics of the spots on the lining, but with the lighting in the house (and w/ or w/out flash) they weren't showing up. I may try again tomorrow if it will stop raining long enough for the sun to come out.
I talked it over w/ DH some more and he finally agreed that he too would've paid less having known it was used. I'm going to contact the seller and go from there.

abbiesmommy

Dreaming of LV.....
Apr 5, 2009
Thanks ladies for the advice. I tried to take pics of the spots on the lining, but with the lighting in the house (and w/ or w/out flash) they weren't showing up. I may try again tomorrow if it will stop raining long enough for the sun to come out.
I talked it over w/ DH some more and he finally agreed that he too would've paid less having known it was used. I'm going to contact the seller and go from there.
Agree FULLY!!! At least you would have had the option to either pay less as it is NOT NEW Or forget this one and find another one--BRAND NEW.You are doing the right thing,keep us posted ...

redskater

bags,books & Kitties
O.G.
Jan 2, 2008
what do sellers not understand about NWOT??????? I've had this happen a few times and it just infuriates me. If there is make-up or pen marks then the seller should have enough sense to check the bag out carefully before saying NWOT. I'd get a partial refund.

ladyisobel

Sarah
O.G.
Mar 22, 2006
Yes, i would contact the seller and go from there, do people really think they can get away with this sort of thing ? As i'm sure we all do it when we receive a purchase, we check it over fully...with a fine tooth comb ! Any flaws will stand out a mile when you think you're buying NWOT.
Let us know what she says .

vtfroggie

>.<
O.G.
May 14, 2008
I contacted her and she responded back quickly. She apologized for the oversight and offered a partial refund. I sent her a response back accepting the partial refund and it is currently pending in my paypal acct.
This is the first time that I've had an item arrive not as described, so I'm very happy that everything worked out well.