Suggestions for shopping for a new interview suit/outfit?

Jencine

Sep 18, 2009
I am in no way a working professional, I am actually 25 and back in school... but am on the job hunt. I typically do the nice pants and blouse routine with interviews but would like to have a nice jacket & skirt suit to wear.

Brands & stores I love include; Anthropologie, Nordies/Nordstrom Rack, Old Navy, Splendid, Nanette Lepore.. I'm fine with colorful funky clothing and things of that sort, but do you gals have recommendations on where I should shop for an appropriate, stylish and not totally plain, not-to-old-looking suit? I particularly would love something grey or another color, just not black.

I was already thinking of hitting up Nordstrom tomorrow.. I'm in California and have two malls within an hour with all the usual suspects. (J Crew maybe? Ann Taylor? does Macys have anything good?)

Thanks for your help!
-K

I actually would buy a black suit with a pencil skirt and well fitting jacket. And then wear an unexpected blouse - something pretty and high necked. Maybe a jewel tone. You can look glamourous AND professional.

Theory - basic, well-cut, decent materials & construction, reasonably priced without being cheap looking. There's a Theory store in Santana Row, IIRC (^(oo)^)v

For interviews, I recommend medium charcoal grey with a crisp white blouse and tasteful jewelry. Nude or subtle French nails.

I would check out J crew and mix it with ANn Taylor.

I never cared about ann taylor as it looked so old but i don't know for the past 6 months, they have been more fashion forward and im quite surprised that they actually have nice pieces right now!

Mix and match and don't buy a matchy matchy suit!!

Generally for interviews you want to err on the side of being conservative, so I would go for a classic suit and, depending on the industry/position you're interviewing for, spice it up with accessories like a scarf or necklace, or a pretty blouse.
J.Crew or Theory are great choices for classic, basic suits. Banana generally has good choices but I find they're not as well made as J.Crew. And don't forget you get a 15% discount with a valid student ID at J.Crew! Go for classic colors like black, grey, or navy and make sure it fits you perfectly- get it tailored if necessary. When a suit fits well, it will look polished, not boring, no matter what you wear with it.

J.Crew makes GREAT suits. I have one in black and I have the jacket, skirt, and pants, so I can mix and match. You can use your student discount, but I'd wait until they are doing a 20 or 25% off your entire purchase of a certain amount and you can get it for a great deal. I paid full price for mine though, and it was worth it- the quality is great. I want to add that I'm in my mid twenties and in grad school and I don't feel like it is an old lady suit, it feels very young and modern. I have the Super 120's.

i bought 2 suits from express a couple of weeks ago. they're tailored enough for someone petite like me and look classic but not old ladyish (i'm 21 so i want to dress professional but not like a grandma).

i was also just in united colors of benetton yesterday and they had grey suits as well as your basic black. i think the suit jackets were $130 ish. express' are $100.

i also remember over the summer when i shopped at mango they had nice suit separates. i would have bought some if i had enough room in my luggage!

Theory suits if you want something longer lasting. I would try and find it on sale since we're heading into the holiday season. If you don't care as much about quality, I would buy Banana Republic. Their suits are pretty well cut, but they will not last long term (I have worn out their suits before)

i bought 2 suits from express a couple of weeks ago. they're tailored enough for someone petite like me and look classic but not old ladyish (i'm 21 so i want to dress professional but not like a grandma).

i was also just in united colors of benetton yesterday and they had grey suits as well as your basic black. i think the suit jackets were $130 ish. express' are $100.

i also remember over the summer when i shopped at mango they had nice suit separates. i would have bought some if i had enough room in my luggage!

I had an express suit and I felt ridiculous in it, no offense. It was really cheap looking and not tailored very well.

I actually would buy a black suit with a pencil skirt and well fitting jacket. And then wear an unexpected blouse - something pretty and high necked. Maybe a jewel tone. You can look glamourous AND professional.

My thoughts exactly! Or a pretty, light fabric - I have a blouse that's made of the most wonderful material, light and transluscent, with a large pussy-bow that can also be worn in a loose knot. This, under a well-tailored suit (with something worn underneath of course) makes me feel like a million dollars.

As someone in their mid-20s who is frequently conducting interviews I would warn you away from looking too stylish especially at our age, unless the job is in a creative field. The gorgeous green-and-gold shoes I wore to my first interview? NO. I got the job despite myself, but black courts would have been much more appropriate.

You want to be STEALTHILY fashionable, use dog-whistle tactics... wear well-tailored pieces and beautiful designer suits if you like, but make them UNDERSTATED so that people who don't know much about fashion (and to whom fashion is not a priority) will not notice and presume you're a bubblehead.... but people who DO know and appreciate fashion will notice your classic black courts are Manolos.