Suggestions for a good investment bag???

shihtzulover

Jul 20, 2018
I'm heading to Europe next week (London, Paris, Italy) and I believe the prices are a bit cheaper there. I already have the Chloe Small Faye Bag in black leather.

I thought the Gucci Mini Dionysus in Ebony/Taupe was pretty cute, but I'm worried it might go out of style in a few years. I'm 20 so I'm hoping to use these bags throughout my life. LV is nice too but I'm not sure what style would suit my age (?) Preferably something I can wear casually and dress up too.

I am looking into bags that are timeless/versatile but still on trend! (Under $2000 US dollars since I'm still in college lol )
I am open to suggestions :smile:

I wouldn’t look too far ahead. Buy something you love that you’ll get a lot of use and enjoyment from now. Tastes change, so does fashion, and your needs will probably be very different in 10 years or so. I’ve found bags and clothes I bought with an eye to the future don’t tend to work out - either the need doesn’t materialise (or changes) or by the time it does, I’m already bored with the idea of it and fancy something else :biggrin:

Buy a bag for love, not for investment purposes.

With that said, most bags lose their value over time. I reside in the LV forum, so I can only speak about that. A Speedy 25B in monogram canvas or damier ebene will hold its value quite well and is suitable for your age and almost any lifestyle. It can easily be worn casually or dressed up.
+1

Chiming in to echo the speedy! Perfect for your age and lifestyle and fits the budget too. Plus I'm always looking for vintage speedys, and I'd probably pay the same price as new for a particular piece .Plus they're durable!

Reactions: shihtzulover
I'm heading to Europe next week (London, Paris, Italy) and I believe the prices are a bit cheaper there. I already have the Chloe Small Faye Bag in black leather.

I thought the Gucci Mini Dionysus in Ebony/Taupe was pretty cute, but I'm worried it might go out of style in a few years. I'm 20 so I'm hoping to use these bags throughout my life. LV is nice too but I'm not sure what style would suit my age (?) Preferably something I can wear casually and dress up too.

I am looking into bags that are timeless/versatile but still on trend! (Under $2000 US dollars since I'm still in college lol )
I am open to suggestions :smile:

I would skip the Gucci mini Dionysus, it’s not the most classic bag it’s more of a trendy item. As my first investment bag I chose the Louis Vuitton speedy 35 in monogram with the bandolier strap so I can go hands free and it’s one of my most used handbags, I take it everywhere with me because it matches any outfit and I love traveling with it because it fits lots of stuff and its stylish! The size 25 could be really good for you depending on your lifestyle and maybe in Damier ebene if you want to dress it up but I think the monogram is a classic :smile:

Reactions: shihtzulover
You might be able to get the YSL into your price point on the secondhand market. You can get a lot of styles into your price point on the secondhand market.

Look for classic shapes and styles, like the Speedy B, or a satchel, hobo, tote, etc. with timeless details and probably in a classic color like black or brown or a mono print. Stay away from trendy colors and trendy looks like wings or dionysus or rings (like on the Faye) or mini- and micro-bags, etc. Most bling probably goes in this category too. If in 2028, your bag is going to scream that it was bought in 2018 because that's when that particular detail was popular, skip it. There are dozens of bags that would fit these criteria. Gucci's Guccissima line has several looks that might work for you. Some of them might be a little mature for you, but they have a lot of nice classic styles.