Suggestions for a Diamond Necklace for Wedding

Firstly - CONGRATULATIONS on your upcoming marriage! :yahoo:

I love a good hunt for great jewelry! (I went on a similar hunt for my own wedding 2+ years ago - but more on that later.)

I couldn't find anything with just diamonds in that price range, but here are some alternatives... if nothing else, they make for great eyecandy on the screen! And having a little color around your neck on your wedding day might actually work out well!

66. 0 Carat Multi-Gem Briolette Necklace In 14kt Yellow Gold - $350+

199242c.jpg

72.0 Carat Multi-Gem Briolette Dangle Necklace In 14kt Yellow Gold - $895

155516c.jpg

Cultured Pearl and 32.80 ct. t.w. Citrine Briolette Cluster Necklace - $275+

(I had trouble attaching the pic, but you can click the link...)

If you're set on a classic, non-colored necklace for your wedding, may I echo a previous suggestion of pearls? My grandfather bought me a pearl necklace for my wedding - 9mm pearls, I think. Actually, my grandfather gave me money to buy something wedding-related, and my mom and I worked with a jeweler and we got to choose the strand before it was knotted (they're pinkish, I think). I wanted to get something smaller like 7-8mm, but my mom insisted on 9mm, and I am so glad she did! The pearls seemed really huge to me at first, but they really stood out on my wedding day, esp in the pics, and they're classic! I've been able to wear them on a few occassions since the wedding, and everytime, I get tons of compliments! We spent less than what your budget is, and I got matching pearl earrings, too. We bought the set at a jewelry/gem wholesale show that comes around my area a few times a year, so the pearls look like I spent a lot more on them.

If you want something classic that will last through the years, and you can't find the perfect diamond necklace, then I say go with pearls! However, if you really want the briolette look (which I love too, btw!), then perhaps gemstones (w/ some diamonds, maybe) might be the answer!

Just my two cents! Good luck with your search!

Pearls are great--so romantic and pretty for a bride.

At my wedding, I wore a gold necklace. It depends on your dress, too--how simple or complicated it is--that will determine what sort of necklace will work as well.

More options! :smile: It only has one briolette, but sparkles all around.

Ladies 16" Chain with Round/Marquise and Drop Briolette Diamond Pendant Diamond .82cttw - $2,185

59733.JPG

The pictures from my previous post are from a place called Ross-Simmons. I've never heard of the place, found it online.

However, this necklace is from Solomon Brothers, and while I haven't had the opportunity to purchase from them, they came recommended on a forum called DiamondTalk - as you might be able to tell, before I started to love handbags, I loved jewelry. :graucho: I don't think DiamondTalk is nearly as active as it once was, though...

Ooo--that piece is very bridal-y!

Ross-Simons is okay. I've bought pieces there before, but sometimes the quality isn't that good--it goes piece by piece. Luckily, they accept returns if the quality isn't up to snuff. I've bought 4 things there and 2 have gone back. YMMV.

If you're set on a classic, non-colored necklace for your wedding, may I echo a previous suggestion of pearls? My grandfather bought me a pearl necklace for my wedding - 9mm pearls, I think. Actually, my grandfather gave me money to buy something wedding-related, and my mom and I worked with a jeweler and we got to choose the strand before it was knotted (they're pinkish, I think). I wanted to get something smaller like 7-8mm, but my mom insisted on 9mm, and I am so glad she did! The pearls seemed really huge to me at first, but they really stood out on my wedding day, esp in the pics, and they're classic! I've been able to wear them on a few occassions since the wedding, and everytime, I get tons of compliments! We spent less than what your budget is, and I got matching pearl earrings, too. We bought the set at a jewelry/gem wholesale show that comes around my area a few times a year, so the pearls look like I spent a lot more on them.

If you want something classic that will last through the years, and you can't find the perfect diamond necklace, then I say go with pearls! However, if you really want the briolette look (which I love too, btw!), then perhaps gemstones (w/ some diamonds, maybe) might be the answer!

Just my two cents! Good luck with your search!

mangowife,
I'm in the SF area as well, and would love to check out this jewelry/gem wholesale show. Can you provide more info? Also, are there any admission requirements? TIA!! ;)

mango, that is gorgeous! Thank you! Sending it to my fiance now for his opinion!

Glad you like it!

Looking at the other gemstone necklaces now, I don't think they'd go well with anything but a super simple wedding dress. They do look a bit more costume-y than I'd prefer. What was I thinking? :shrugs:

mangowife,
I'm in the SF area as well, and would love to check out this jewelry/gem wholesale show. Can you provide more info? Also, are there any admission requirements? TIA!! ;)

Sure! My MIL introduced me to the jewelry/gem shows. She also got me into beading necklaces/bracelets/earrings - really addictive stuff! :rolleyes:

Anyway, the traveling gem show is: International Gem & Jewelry Show, Inc. . Upcoming shows are listed on the website. Looks like the next one is in April. Not sure where you live, but the show is at the San Mateo Expo Center. They have booths and booths of jewelry, ranging from little cz rings/cute stuff for little girls all the way to huge diamond rings! Lots and lots of diamond rings. :smile: There are also a lot of booths that sell beads - both glass and real gemstone ones. You can also pick up jewelry-making supplies there. I like the variety of stuff they have available, there's something there for everyone. In the back of the center, there's a wholesale area which you need a resale license to enter. My MIL has a resale license, so she gets me in. Not sure what it takes (application/fees) to get a resale license.

Parking is usually $7 and admission is something like $6-$7. My MIL goes often enough that she has her name on some of the vendor's mailing lists, so she gets coupons for free admission. I sometimes get coupons for $1 off.

I should mention that there is a second type show at the San Mateo Expo Center, but that's more like a "gift" show - shoes, clothing, little knick knacks are sold. Way less jewelry than the "real" shows, but okay if that's what you're looking for. Just stick with the website above and you'll be fine.

HTH!

RE: the San Mateo Show:

Often the dollar off admission coupon is available on the web. I just went in November and I printed it out from the web.

Can I ask...Mangowife, do you remember which vendor you purchased your pearls from?

Thanks

Can I ask...Mangowife, do you remember which vendor you purchased your pearls from?

Thanks

I'm sorry, I don't! Not off hand, anyway... I might have their business card around here somewhere... I do remember they owners were Asian, and they're from Washington State (I believe).

But, there are plenty of vendors at these shows that sell pearl strands, and they're willing to make a necklace for you. It sounds like you're familiar with these shows?

RE: the San Mateo Show:

Often the dollar off admission coupon is available on the web. I just went in November and I printed it out from the web.

Thanks

Don't forget to consider some of your fellow tPF members. Not just me, but there are several of us who make jewelry, including pearl necklaces. For MUCH less than typical retail prices.