Suede shoes help!!

RedSummerSun

Apr 13, 2010
Hi everyone, Im new around here. :biggrin:
Im curious to how you are keeping up with your suede shoes. I have avoided suede my whole life because of a pair that were annihilated by a loving family member who thought it'd be a good idea to put them in the washing machine.
Anyhow- lots of shoes this season are calling my name, and yes they are suede.
What is your experience with suede, good/bad- what to avoid and if they are truly impractical I'd appreciate that too before I go on a shoe spree and end up screwing myself over.
Thanks!!

ByeKitty

Literally amazing!
May 8, 2010
Europe
They're fine, especially the darker colours, when just well taken care of..
Be sure to use protective spray on them every once in a while, especially when you're planning to walk through the rain with them (try to do that as little as possible though :flowers:).
When there's a spot on them, try cleaning with water and vinegar. (this is a nice tutorial: http://www.ehow.com/how_6318961_clean-suede-boots-vinegar.html)

And of course, use a suede brush to keep things looking new and clean!

5elle

May 21, 2009
I actually favour suede over all other materials. Do not wear them in the rain. Otherwise use a protective spray. If you're worried about scuff, a non-suede heel and slight platform will lift you up a little from the danger zone that is the ground.

If you wear black suede shoes and black opaque tights your legs look endless...

Mauricia

Nov 6, 2010
Michigan
I just stick to suede shoes that are for going out rather than wearing during the day. All my black suede heels and boots have held up well, but I mostly wear them indoors at restaurants and bars, or at work. I wouldn't get suede shoes if there's any chance you would get stuck in the rain, although if they're black they would probably not be too noticeably damaged.

kgirl<3

I·R 1/f
Feb 2, 2010
I absolutely love suede! Just don't go running around in puddles or snow salt in them...:P

krinkles597

Jun 29, 2008
NC
I don't have a lot to add except that if you don't like high maintenance shoes, suede is definitely not for you. I love suede shoes but they can be difficult to keep scuff-free.

RedSummerSun

Apr 13, 2010
Thanks for the advice!!! I live in AZ- so I dont think rain, snow or salt will be too much of a problem. I think my biggest worry will be getting them dirty and avoiding bloody scuff marks- I guess just be extra careful when I walk what other options do I have ....

Im finding tons of suede this season, more so than others and very little patent or regular leather shoes when it comes to pumps hmmmmm....

jchiara

is really in love...
O.G.
Oct 4, 2006
Here & There
I love suede. I keep all my suede shoes in their shoe boxes though because they just seem to attract dust (and leather you can just easily wipe it off). I agree with black tights and black suede makes your legs look like they go on forever. Black suede is just so black....