Such an unfair ticket.

MJDaisy

OMFG.
O.G.
Dec 28, 2007
Today I got a parking ticket. I've never gotten a speeding ticket before, or any kind of ticket for that matter. What I find unfair about it is that I was parked in front of my friend's house in her residential neighborhood...my license plate tags were expired. I completely understand that I deserve a ticket if the car was being driven, it was my mistake that I didn't notice that they were expired and I shouldn't have been driving around in the car. But what I find unfair is the way the ticket was given. I wouldn't be as mad if I had been pulled over or if I had even been in a public area like a mall parking lot...but I was in front of her house right by where she parks her own vehicle. What if I had lived at her house and couldn't afford to get the plates replaced yet and left the car parked or something? I wasn't even driving the car...I'm so mad! Am i being outrageous? Is this common???

sorry you're mad, but it's common. Get over it. If you're on a public street, regardless of whether the car is being driven, you/it can be ticketed.

Don't know what the laws are like where you are, but where i live, if you rememdy the problem w/in ten days, the ticket will be dismissed. You do have to pay fee of about $10 though.

sorry you're mad, but it's common. Get over it. If you're on a public street, regardless of whether the car is being driven, you/it can be ticketed.

Don't know what the laws are like where you are, but where i live, if you rememdy the problem w/in ten days, the ticket will be dismissed. You do have to pay fee of about $10 though.

really? that is helpful information...i'm going to take it to get fixed this weekend.

don't forget - the tag usually expires at the end of your birthday month - an easy way to remember - it's ironic that they make it a nice little bday present bill to pay.

Sorry you're mad but it's a valid ticket. As an owner of a vehicle, it is your responsibility to ensure your car's required registration, license plates, insurance, inspections, whatever etc. are current. Not noticing your registration had expired is not a legitimate excuse to a law enforcement officer, KWIM?

In my state, the DMV mails registration renewal forms about 1 month prior to expiration, and in the documents it states if you do not plan to renew right away (or cannot pay to do so), the vehicle is prohibited to be on public streets and must be stored off public streets.

As coach4me said, depending on your state's laws, renewing your registration and showing proof may allow the court to dismiss your ticket. Where I live things that can be fixed quickly by the owner are called "fixit tickets."

Good luck.

I don't think unregistered cars are even allowed to be on the street. If your tag is expired then it's illegal. the street is a public area. if it were in her drive way that would be a different story because that's her personal property.

I got a ticket for expired tags because i moved during the time when they would normally send them out. i completely forgot about it and got pulled over a few months later. yea it sucked, but oh well, my fault for not remembering and checking into it.

there's a show called parking wars about parking attendants. they are generally there to make sure everyone is parked where they should be, but they will also give out tickets if they notice that their tags are expired.

just think of it as a lesson learned.

hmm yes it seems perhaps the ticket was not unfair...just unwanted? haha i needed to vent. thanks ladies...i'm gonna try to get the car fixed to lower the price of the ticket.

Yep, any car on a public road has to be registered and have a valid tag. Doesn't matter if you're driving it or not. Now, if you were parked in her driveway, that's considered private property, a different story.

Be glad you only got a ticket. Where I live, they'll tow you (I swear the homeowners association gets a kickback from it) for anything expired on the car. Me + 3 friends have all been towed because of expired emissions/state inspections. Totally suck because then you pay $125 to get it out + having to get the inspection.

Yep, any car on a public road has to be registered and have a valid tag. Doesn't matter if you're driving it or not. Now, if you were parked in her driveway, that's considered private property, a different story.

Again, local laws make a difference. In some states the license plate fee is actually a tax and even if the car is off the road in your driveway or yard, you can be ticketed or the car impounded.

Recently there was a story about Toledo, OH ticketing cars parked on unpaved (gravel) driveways at the owner's homes. Seems the ordinance specified paved driveways only in an effort to keep people from parking on their front lawns.

An expired tag is an expired tag, period! yes, you deserve the ticket, whether driving the car or not, the tag should not be expired. Doesn't matter that you were given the ticket while parked.

And, as Charles said, if you had been in her driveway on her private property, that would have been a different story. But since you were on a public street (residential or not) then the ticket is valid.

Again, local laws make a difference. In some states the license plate fee is actually a tax and even if the car is off the road in your driveway or yard, you can be ticketed or the car impounded.

Recently there was a story about Toledo, OH ticketing cars parked on unpaved (gravel) driveways at the owner's homes. Seems the ordinance specified paved driveways only in an effort to keep people from parking on their front lawns.

From what I understand, the fact of owning a car does not require you to register it. Therefore, if you own it, and are not driving it, you should have a right to keep it on your private property. Shouldn't matter the state. That seems like something easily taken to court over.

From what I understand, the fact of owning a car does not require you to register it. Therefore, if you own it, and are not driving it, you should have a right to keep it on your private property. Shouldn't matter the state. That seems like something easily taken to court over.

Actually it does. It's considered personal property in some states and you have to pay annual taxes on it even if you never drive it. Even if it's undriveable. Those annual taxes are assessed based on Blue Book value and are paid via the registration through the county clerk's office. The only way to avoid it is to have the title listed as "Junked".