Successful purge of my handbag collection

Swissmiss2000

Sep 14, 2015
Having come to realize there were loads of bags in my collection that no longer saw the light of day, and wanting to splurge on a couple of designer bags, I took the plunge and had a ruthless sort out of my bags. Those that had not been used for at least a year or that didn't spark any enthusiasm when removed from their dustbag were put in the "exit" pile.

Depending on the bags, some went on online auction sites (easy to sell designers such as LV, Tory Burch) and others not-so-high-end, went to a local consignment store.

I also had a sort out of my jewellery and took broken gold chain, single earrings etc to a local precious metal foundery.

With the money from my sales I was able to buy a Chanel GST and a LV Ana clutch (in my photo below). I now own just 12 bags (versus 20 previously). These are, left to right, starting at the back :

FURLA Piper tricolor
CHANEL GST black caviar SHW
CHANEL Jumbo black caviar SHW
FURLA Mini bag cream
FURLA Mini bag red
SALVATORE FERRAGAMO tan shoulder bag
FURLA Mini bag black
TORY BURCH Adalyn clutch gold
JIL SANDER turquoise pouch
LOUIS VUITTON Ana clutch
BOTTEGA VENETA silver shoulder bag

This doesn't mean I won't be buying any more bags though! What do you think would be a useful addition? I am toying with the idea of a Chanel WOC or a larger day bag for spring summer such as the YSL sac de jour

Attachments

• Collection.JPG
    Collection.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 612
WHOO HOO! You did a GREAT job! To get rid of items you don't want and pick up such nice additions. 👍👍😀

What is your lifestyle like? Any bags you tend to reach for more than others - if so why? Are there colors you think you'd want to add to your collection? Favorite brands? If you share some of that we can give better suggestions!

Great job cleaning out the closet! I constantly think about ways to purge old clothes I will never wear, or shoes too scuffed beyond repair. Handbags are hard for me to part with, but you've done a good job.

WHOO HOO! You did a GREAT job! To get rid of items you don't want and pick up such nice additions. 👍👍😀

What is your lifestyle like? Any bags you tend to reach for more than others - if so why? Are there colors you think you'd want to add to your collection? Favorite brands? If you share some of that we can give better suggestions!

Currently the 2 bags I use the most are the GST and the Furla Piper, so daytime biggish bags. Before the purge, 2 others I used the most are in the photos below - a Tods red bag and a Prada straw & white leather. I only got rid of the Tods because I had seen it for too long - used it for years. I loved the look of the Prada bag but the carabinier hook fastener was really fiddly and got on my nerves. I feel I need something this kind of size and in a light (or bright) colour, steering clear of anything too dark. All suggestions welcome!

Attachments

• DSCN0998.JPG
    DSCN0998.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 559
  • DSCN1014.JPG
    DSCN1014.JPG
    1,006.1 KB · Views: 537
Great job cleaning out the closet! I constantly think about ways to purge old clothes I will never wear, or shoes too scuffed beyond repair. Handbags are hard for me to part with, but you've done a good job.

Thanks! I was like you and held on to all my bags. And then when I reduced my level of professional activity to part-time, I obviously had less cash for luxuries. Sorting and out and selling the bags meant I was able to treat myself, and I can honestly say I appreciate my latest acquisitions more than the previous ones, because I've had to be pretty resourceful to get the money to buy them. Also, now that I can see my bags more easily I use them all a lot more. So, tempted?

Thanks! I was like you and held on to all my bags. And then when I reduced my level of professional activity to part-time, I obviously had less cash for luxuries. Sorting and out and selling the bags meant I was able to treat myself, and I can honestly say I appreciate my latest acquisitions more than the previous ones, because I've had to be pretty resourceful to get the money to buy them. Also, now that I can see my bags more easily I use them all a lot more. So, tempted?

Well done, you really did really well

Great job at the purging! I really like the diversity of your collection now. I also really like the BV silver bag. How do you like it? It looks like it can be a great evening clutch.

Swissmiss2000: great job!!!

I did something similar starting two months ago!
I had a few bags that I didn't carry in ages and I knew
I would never carry again. Mostly very colourful bags or less valuable ones like Rebecca Minkoff and MbMJ.
Also I had and still have SLGs I will never use again.
I sold them on eBay and managed not to "loose" any money, since I bought them on sale or some of the things were/are hard to get so ppl would pay full price for them ;)

With the money I'm aready on a waiting list for a LV :biggrin:

I have a lot of clothes and accessories I wanna get rid of as well. But like you know, things that are not great in resale value, I'll go sell them at a local flea market.

Over all, as hard parting with things might be, in the end it feels SO LIBERATING, doesn't it?? ;)?

Great job at the purging! I really like the diversity of your collection now. I also really like the BV silver bag. How do you like it? It looks like it can be a great evening clutch.
I absolutely love the BV silver bag. Not only is it perfect for evenings, it also looks great worn as a shoulder bag against a white shirt and jeans. It's a lot roomier than many clutches and is really versatile. Of all my small bags, it's the one I use the most.

Excellent job on scaling back....,what style of bag are you looking for
I'm looking for something roomy, for everyday (around the size of the Furla Piper I have or the red Tods or Prada straw/white leather bags I got rid of - see my other photos). I'm tempted by a pop of colour but need it to be one that i'll be able to use regularly.

Swissmiss2000: great job!!!

I did something similar starting two months ago!
I had a few bags that I didn't carry in ages and I knew
I would never carry again. Mostly very colourful bags or less valuable ones like Rebecca Minkoff and MbMJ.
Also I had and still have SLGs I will never use again.
I sold them on eBay and managed not to "loose" any money, since I bought them on sale or some of the things were/are hard to get so ppl would pay full price for them ;)

With the money I'm aready on a waiting list for a LV :biggrin:

I have a lot of clothes and accessories I wanna get rid of as well. But like you know, things that are not great in resale value, I'll go sell them at a local flea market.

Over all, as hard parting with things might be, in the end it feels SO LIBERATING, doesn't it?? ;)?
Well done you!
Yes, it's very liberating clearing out stuff that won't be worn again and is just clogging up the wardrobe.
I have found a consignment store locally where I have been able to sell my unwanted dresses and jackets. They split the proceeds 50-50. It's never a fortune but it soon mounts up. She sold 8 of my dresses!
Sounds like you have been busy and successful with your sales. What LV bag are you getting to get?

I absolutely love the BV silver bag. Not only is it perfect for evenings, it also looks great worn as a shoulder bag against a white shirt and jeans. It's a lot roomier than many clutches and is really versatile. Of all my small bags, it's the one I use the most.

Would you mind taking a modelling pic? The BV selection here is very limited. Is it still current?