successful fix for pochette strap!

rrachel

O.G.
Jul 21, 2010
so recently i bought an older obviously used but in great shape mono pochette accessories off of a friend who needed to re-home it for holiday money. the downside was that the entire strap from the looped leather end to the stitching by the d-ring was split. i took it to my sa in hopes he would be kind since i have been so kind to him this year, no luck. i had to pay to have it either re-glued(what i would prefer so the leather matched) or buy a new handle. Soooo.. i decided before paying so much to have an older bag re-glued maybe I should just give it a shot myself. i searched around on here for tutorials but i didn't find much. i am typically rather crafty though so I went into my local sewing/craft store and picked up some clear leather glue. This stuff is used for anything from repairing shoes and handbags to furniture and leather garments. here are the steps i took to successfully repair the handle. try if you dare! (but it was fairly easy/cheap and took me 5 mins to apply and a little wait time to make sure it was dry)

first, i put a big dollop of glue on a paper plate. Then i used a flat end toothpick to apply it carefully and evenly to the strap. Next i stretched the handle to where it was taut and the two sides matched perfectly. I kept the handle taut and laid it across a textbook, then i placed another textbook on top to keep the sides pressed together. Then to apply pressure so that it really stuck I put one of my 10lb free weights on top of the book. I went out to dinner and by the time i was back i checked out the handle and it was as good as new, except better than new because the patina matches the leather tab on the bag! I so did not want to have a light handle and a honey colored tab. Ta-da! i'm proud of my handy work!

Shoebaglady

~Totes & Pockets~
Oct 5, 2011
~Canada~
It looks perfect! I would have never guessed it was in such bad shape. Great job and thank for sharing the tip!

rrachel

O.G.
Jul 21, 2010
thanks! =]
now i'm considering repairing some of my inexpensive leather shoes! i'm on a roll! hehe

Lilarose

Sep 27, 2009
What a clean and neat job! You saved yourself a BUNDLE of $ doing it yourself. Looks great!

deem0nessa

O.G.
Jan 7, 2009
Good job!!.....that took lots of confidence and it paid off well as your crafty talent was put to good use!!!

st.love

Aug 2, 2012
New England
Thanks for sharing this, I am considering doing the same with my pochette strap which has split right down the middle, my only concern is, did the glue make the leather stiff at all??

st.love

Aug 2, 2012
New England
so recently i bought an older obviously used but in great shape mono pochette accessories off of a friend who needed to re-home it for holiday money. the downside was that the entire strap from the looped leather end to the stitching by the d-ring was split. i took it to my sa in hopes he would be kind since i have been so kind to him this year, no luck. i had to pay to have it either re-glued(what i would prefer so the leather matched) or buy a new handle. Soooo.. i decided before paying so much to have an older bag re-glued maybe I should just give it a shot myself. i searched around on here for tutorials but i didn't find much. i am typically rather crafty though so I went into my local sewing/craft store and picked up some clear leather glue. This stuff is used for anything from repairing shoes and handbags to furniture and leather garments. here are the steps i took to successfully repair the handle. try if you dare! (but it was fairly easy/cheap and took me 5 mins to apply and a little wait time to make sure it was dry)

first, i put a big dollop of glue on a paper plate. Then i used a flat end toothpick to apply it carefully and evenly to the strap. Next i stretched the handle to where it was taut and the two sides matched perfectly. I kept the handle taut and laid it across a textbook, then i placed another textbook on top to keep the sides pressed together. Then to apply pressure so that it really stuck I put one of my 10lb free weights on top of the book. I went out to dinner and by the time i was back i checked out the handle and it was as good as new, except better than new because the patina matches the leather tab on the bag! I so did not want to have a light handle and a honey colored tab. Ta-da! i'm proud of my handy work!

Sorry I didn't realize it was an older thread & should have quoted so you would see it, please let me know how the strap is holding up, thanks! :biggrin:

gyfbless

Jul 16, 2015
This is so great! I am crafty at all. I was trying to take off the strap and adjust its position. Then I realize there is a little part that splits as I laid it even. So I found some glue and apply to it. However, since I didn't pull it taut to apply. As a result, when I was pushing it to make it stay together, the split becomes even larger and larger. Now almost 1/3 of the strap are splitted. I also didn't wait it to dry before I push them, so the glue came over to the leather surface and I was stupid enough to use a tissue to get rid of the glue and the tissue got stuck to the surface. I tried to wash the glue off and followed your steps. I hope it will become better, as I have almost already damaged it. Thanks a lot for sharing!