Successful cleaning of verdigris from glove leather vintage Dooney

mellopan

Aug 12, 2015
Some of you might remember me posting about a tan Dooney sling pack a while ago asking for advice on cleaning off verdigris from the leather. I decided to pass on that one but purchased a similar style in black. Little did I know, the black bag was also full of verdigris (first picture) on its hardware and some greenish gunk all over the drawstring :nogood:

Fortunately, I was able to clean it off pretty easily! So I just wanted to share what I did and hopefully it might help someone else :smile:

For the hardware I dipped a q-tip in white vinegar and swabbed it on, then used a paper towel to dig in the grooves and half push half wipe off the verdigris. It comes off pretty easily but it's just in quite deep between the grooves so I had to dig a LOT. In hindsight, it would have been easier with a toothpick or something similar.

For the drawstring, I used vinegar again, scrubbing slightly with my nail after dabbing on the vinegar, then wiped it off with a paper towel. Again this came out pretty easily so I think the leather was not discolored, just surface gunk.

After this, I removed and washed the straps with a bit of ivory dish soap in warm water, and used a toothbrush to scrub the buckle where I couldn't dig out the verdigris in the "solid brass" indentation. This went pretty well so I decided to go ahead and wash the whole bag (as Coach rehabbers like to call dunking) since I didn't like how floppy it was and I wanted to reshape it to a better form! While it was in the water I also made sure to scrub the hardware with a toothbrush in hopes of getting out whatever verdigris that I missed before. To shape I just stuffed the bag with paper towels and let it sit on its side until it was mostly dry (second picture). Then I removed the paper towels and started applying conditioner, letting it dry and repeat for a few coats (I only have Lexol which seems like it doesn't reaaally do much so I always apply several coats)

That's all and I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to get rid of the verdigris. The third picture shows the bag after all the cleaning. Now I only hope the green nightmare won't return :smile:

Attachments

• Dooneygloveleather_before.jpg
    Dooneygloveleather_before.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 408
  • Dooneygloveleather_drying.jpg
    Dooneygloveleather_drying.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 400
  • Dooneygloveleather_after.jpg
    Dooneygloveleather_after.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:
Reactions: fluffypants
Thanks everyone! The leather is a bit more stiff after washing but I'm sure it'll soften up after I use it more. This bag has the thickest softest leather I've ever owned, I want to get more of this collection!!

Thanks everyone! The leather is a bit more stiff after washing but I'm sure it'll soften up after I use it more. This bag has the thickest softest leather I've ever owned, I want to get more of this collection!!

What collection is that? I don't think I have ever seen that style of bag. Great job on the rehab!

What collection is that? I don't think I have ever seen that style of bag. Great job on the rehab!

I believe it's from the glove leather collection! This is the first time I've seen it as well, I happened across a tan one and this one on eBay about 2 weeks ago!

Here's a listing for the exact same one http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=151828007541&alt=web

Although I think that's a bit overpriced. I bought mine for just under $30. This bag's drawstring and brass circles look in pretty bad condition, maybe even worse than mine. Although it does have a special duck fob :O

I believe it's from the glove leather collection! This is the first time I've seen it as well, I happened across a tan one and this one on eBay about 2 weeks ago!

Here's a listing for the exact same one http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=151828007541&alt=web

Although I think that's a bit overpriced. I bought mine for just under $30. This bag's drawstring and brass circles look in pretty bad condition, maybe even worse than mine. Although it does have a special duck fob :O

Thanks for the link. Yours definitely looks better than that one!

Update!

Unfortunately, the verdigris came back soon after I cleaned it :sad:

Now I suspect maybe the vinegar caused more verdigris, so I tried using a dry toothpick to push out the new verdigris and it has been about a week since then and some are still returning but not nearly as much as when I first cleaned it with vinegar. I hope after another time or two, it'll hold steady to a small amount that I can't see. Fingers crossed!