Style Names: their Origins & Meanings

NerdyBirdy1982

Birdy is back
Sep 2, 2008
I was thinking about some of the style names and was wondering how you guys would feel about a thread dedicated to explaining some of the meanings behind the names... I think it would be interesting to see the connections!

For example:

Decollete – play on the root French verb that means to give a low neckline, revealing cleavage- except for Louboutin, it’s all about toe cleavage!

Pigalle: name of the old Parisian red light district- also a big source of inspiration for Louboutin’s red sole.

Feticha: derived from the term fetish

Bruges: a central city in Belgium…maybe there is more meaning

Bourges: a landmark in France, but perhaps tied to bourgeoisie?

I bet a lot of you have some insight to some of the more playful style names and I'd love to hear them. I don't think we've done a thread about this...sorry if we have!

Some of they style names also seem to have more obvious connections but I wonder if they're not so obvious...maybe there is more of a story. Miss Moneypenny, Catwoman, Batgirl.... what about Tashaf, or Pilot and even Ron Ron?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sing Sing = a maximum security prison in the Village of Ossining, Town of Ossining, New York, United States. It is located approximately 30 miles (48 km) north of New York City on the banks of the Hudson River. Ossining's original name, "Sing Sing", was named after the Native American Sinck Sinck tribe from whom the land was purchased in 1685.

info from Wikipedia

Decollete – play on the root French verb that means to give a low neckline, revealing cleavage- except for Louboutin, it’s all about toe cleavage!

Feticha: derived from the term fetish

Bourges: a landmark in France, but perhaps tied to bourgeoisie?

I bet a lot of you have some insight to some of the more playful style names and I'd love to hear them. I don't think we've done a thread about this...sorry if we have!

Some of they style names also seem to have more obvious connections but I wonder if they're not so obvious...maybe there is more of a story. Miss Moneypenny, Catwoman, Batgirl.... what about Tashaf, or Pilot and even Ron Ron?

You're right! I'm french, and in french Decolleté is the noun, not the verb but you're right as for meaning; this is the name for a type of shoes too, which are "décolletées", showing toe cleavage :smile:

If I well remember, there's no S to Bourge/s? If there's one, it is the french city, if there's not, bourge means "rich", this is pejorative, and a little argotic. If he used this name nonetheless, it may be a sort of provocation.

As for Feticha, I'm wondering if there's any connection to french "chat" (cat) because he could have written fetisha. Red soled shoes often make me think of red cat's paws! And the sculpted heel reminds me of a delicate doe's leg, but it could be the shape of any other delicate animal's leg, such as an elegant cat.

As well, Ron-ron is the french for purr. He seems to love cats! :smile:

I assume Lady Page is a tribute to Betty Page who died this year and was a major figure and inspiration of fetish :sad: and Lady Lynch to David Lynch, as the red patent ones really look like a lower version of one of his designs for Lynch's pictures and exhibition - you can see them in the intro video on the official website's homepage, though they were much more breathtaking IRL!

Madame Claude: Fernande Grudet (born in 1923), also known as Madame Claude, is the most famous French procurer. In the 1960s she was the head of a French network of call girls who worked especially for dignitaries and civil servants.

Rolando: Rolando is a Spanish given name:
Rolando originates from the ancient meaning of "warrior". Its presence is said to be from Spain, however it was also found in Italy many centuries ago.

Miss Marple: Jane Marple, usually known as Miss Marple, is a fictional character appearing in twelve of Agatha Christie's crime novels. Miss Marple is an elderly spinster who acts as an amateur detective, and lives in the village of St. Mary Mead

from Wikipedia

Last edited:
Péniche is also the word for "houseboat", and there are lots of them on the Seine, Paris.

Spartenvol seems inspired from "spartiate" ("Spartan shoe", sandals which are en vogue at this time.) Envol evokes a lighter shoe (flight/takeoff)

Clichy is a city near Paris, and also the name of a boulevard near Pigalle in Paris. I think this is it, as you can find stage apparel there.

Last edited:
C'est Moi - I heard means 'It's Me' so a shoe that gives a statement you are coming? Or look at me I'm here?

Buenos Aires - It's the capital and the largest city in Argentina so I'm not sure of its meaning for a shoe?