stupid birkin drama...need some advice...sorry long

LOL, Are you related to freud? Just a little justification, right?

Actually, it is making my resolve even stronger, so I can be really surprised. I am not a very good actress. I want to continue to be the good DIL, lol.

I know she is jealous, and must not be a very 'giving' person...everything is 'about something' with her. Last Christmas, we gave the in-laws a package to Pebble Beach. We had just gone and they kept raving, how wonderful for you guys...what a course, etc...so we just knew we had to get it for them. It was pretty expensive, green fee's alone there are $450 ea, plus you have to stay there to play....so the whole thing was over 5,000 for a few days of golf and spa stuff, ...but it wasn't about the money....we were just so excited to think of something they would truly love, and not spend the money on for themselves. My MIL cried when she opened it....I had got a bunch of cheapy golf stuff and put it in a box, and at the bottom was the gift certificate....DH's brother and wife, said, "oh, had to show they rest of us up"....DH said, it's not about that, it's about making them happy...and we did! SIL said, maybe they really don't want to go, don't you think if they really wanted to go, they just would...:wtf: does mil look like she is not thrilled

How catty and petty of her! A grown up woman resorting to such childish behavior. Shame on her! :yucky: :yucky: :yucky:

I am sorry that she said that to you, and that she ruined your surprise. That would have hurt my feelings terribly. She does sound very jealous. I agree that you should just not even bother to respond to her negative comments, just continue to be the classy lady you are. It is obvious that your mother-in-law and father-in-law care a great deal about you or they would not have sent you such a lovely gift.

I just hope she is not setting you up for a disappointment of some sort - like it is something from Hermes but not a Birkin? Could she be so mean that she would not only criticize you for the Birkin wish but also set you up for a fall? I don't want to throw cold water on the Birkin thing but do want you to be prepared just in case - on the other hand what else could come in such a big box - maybe a different style?

yes yes, respond with hiheels' suggestion, that is what I call reverse psychology.

Slug: Don't you have enough things already?
You: Yes. Actually, I do... I'm feeling truly blessed!
Slug: So you are probably going to rub my face in it now!
You: Probably not, I'm going to be too busy enjoying my gift and appreciating what a good life and parent-in-laws I have.
Slug: (angrily) What the hell did you do to deserve it?!
You: Parent in laws are the best!! Oh my goodness! Everyone -- you gotta hear the message Slug left for me! You are all going to die laughing, it is soooooo funny!
Slug: (mortified) er...er...er...
You: (proceed to play message) Isn't she so funny? She's adorable.
Everyone: (silence) ...o. m. g. that b:censor: tch!!!!

The one thing I find the most annoying is that she must have known that this gift was supposed to be a surprise.....and she let the "cat out of the bag" on purpose. That's truly mean......she has a black heart.

....hmmm.....LET 'ER HAVE IT, Msb! PLAY THE TAPE!!!!!! ...and then say someething like ...."ooops! I hit the wrong button! Silly, silly me!":angel:

The one thing I find the most annoying is that she must have known that this gift was supposed to be a surprise.....and she let the "cat out of the bag" on purpose. That's truly mean......she has a black heart.

....hmmm.....LET 'ER HAVE IT, Msb! PLAY THE TAPE!!!!!! ...and then say someething like ...."ooops! I hit the wrong button! Silly, silly me!":angel:

Lol, that would be hilarious and just awful for her if the tape was played. She deserves it though, she's evilllllllll:yucky:

do I smell jealous, jealous, jealous!!!:whistle:

Everyone here is right...take the high road and kill her with kindness! At least now we know you got a birkin! :yes:

You never did anything rude, they asked what you wanted and you gave them an answer! I guess your SIL has never heard of the term "ask and you shall recieve!" ;)

Rainrowan, loved your little scenario:roflmfao:

Intellectually I know that we should feel sorry for nasty, jealous people like this, but on a practical note, I would prefer to just kick them in the butt:upsidedown:

Jealous, catty women are particularly "little" people...and I'm not talkin' dress size.

Wouldn't it be fun it Mrs Roberts had Lolo's/Dressage Queen's riding crop available to give this chick a whack if she opened her mouth:yahoo:

i'm new here but would like to show my support for you, msbroberts. it is so easy to get caught up in others' dramas and pettiness, and to take it all personally. but NONE of it is personal; none of it has anything to do with you. you have obviously established a warm, generous and giving relationship with your in-laws, and they, in turn, share these qualities with you. receiving your gift with that spirit of openness and gratitude and love will not only honor yourself at your best; it will honor your in-laws, who will take great pleasure in your happiness with the lovely gift they've chosen for you, whatever it may be.

there is certainly no need to reduce your willingness to receive in order to "fit" the smallness and pettiness of your SIL's mindset. nor should you be expected to apologize in any way, shape or form for their (perceived) largesse or your expression of desire for this item. this exchange is beyond her comprehension and none of her business. clearly your SIL is someone who holds back and exudes resentment, and her world mirrors that withholding and smallness right back to her. your world, on the other hand, mirrors generosity. you're enjoying an elevated state of living, and get to exult in all the pleasure of giving and receiving that characterize the best in yourself and your in-laws. your SIL is clueless to the fact that it's her own limited perception and ability to share and give of herself that influence and reduce her experience to one of pettiness and scarcity. it's sad, but it's not your problem.

your ability to bring out the best in yourself and in others has served you well and will continue to do so, whether it is expressed tangibly or intangibly. enjoy your birthday celebration and remain in that loving state of being that you've established. your sincere delight and pleasure in receiving your gift will be a joy to your generous in-laws, who wish only that you love it and use it in good health. and if your SIL misinterprets, resents and uses this to reinforce her own smallness of spirit and fearful, withholding nature, which she will; it's none of your concern, and certainly will never merit the dignity of a response.

yes yes, respond with hiheels' suggestion, that is what I call reverse psychology.

Slug: Don't you have enough things already?
You: Yes. Actually, I do... I'm feeling truly blessed!
Slug: So you are probably going to rub my face in it now!
You: Probably not, I'm going to be too busy enjoying my gift and appreciating what a good life and parent-in-laws I have.
Slug: (angrily) What the hell did you do to deserve it?!
You: Parent in laws are the best!! Oh my goodness! Everyone -- you gotta hear the message Slug left for me! You are all going to die laughing, it is soooooo funny!
Slug: (mortified) er...er...er...
You: (proceed to play message) Isn't she so funny? She's adorable.
Everyone: (silence) ...o. m. g. that b:censor: tch!!!!
You are an evil genius:lol:
I can't believe the nerve of some people, you are a better woman than I . I probably would have called her & asked wth was wrong with her parents, raising such a rude child.