Stumped - Fix My Routine, Please!!!

RaquelleBelle

*Bags*Charms*Toys*
Jul 5, 2008
Hi all,

I've been nosing around for a long time looking at products and such you guys have talked about but it just sort of left me more confused. So if you have skin sort of like mine, or are really bored, or maybe just wanna help a girl out, please help me fix my routine!

So, yea. Here is my currect routine, which has been followed for quite some time:

Morning & Night Wash: Clearasil Stay-Clear Oil-Free Daily Face Wash

Occasionally St. Ives Apricot Scrub w/ Salicylic Acid afterwards

ALWAYS after washing my face day & night: Stridex Alcohol-Free Maximum Strength Salicylic

Sometimes if I'm really broken out, I'll rub lightly all over my face before going to sleep:

Foundation: Physician's Formula Talc-Free Mineral Wear Liquid Foundation

And then I top it off with their Mineral Wear loose powder and a bit of their blush/or/bronzer.

Use these throughout the day- go through so many packs a month!!! Clean & Clear Oil-Absobing Sheets

And well, all of this works okay for me, I feel like it maybe I should look for something better?

I guess I'm just so insanely confused b/c their are foundation primers out there, and I heard those help w/ oil production, then others say it breaks you out... And some say even if your skin's super oily you should use moisturizer but everytime I try my oil gets 3X as bad, where I go through even more blotting sheets. Then you hear mineral makeup is best... bah! It all confuses me.

I guess what made me want to make a change is my mother told me I am starting to get WRINKLES by my eyes! I'm only 20 years old! I think what she sees though may be my foundation sort of "wrinkling" at the corners of my eyes due to all the oil. But then again I think part of it may be to the insane damage I gave my skin when I was younger - loading a thick layer of harsh chemicals on my face every night before bed! I would wake up for middle school and beginning of high school with a red peeling face! I thought it looked better than acne at the time! Plus I did use to worship the sun, but don't worry I stopped that when i was 18.

My acne is not severe, but it is worse then say, light. I tend to get a lot of whiteheads mostly. The bigger blemishes come during my time of the month lol. I don't have any serious-serious scars but I do have lots of tiny little pin-head sized ones due to excessive picking when I was younger. (I was actually diagnosed with body dysmorphic disorder, so I'm not talking like your average run of the mill teenage girls picking at their pimples picking. - wow, can't believe I admitted that.) My pores are really large.

And yes, I've gone to a derm before, but they just put me on different pills and I didn't really like that b/c I am against taking all sorts of drugs unless it's an absolute must. Plus, I took them for the allotted time period and they didnt improve anything. Just kept giving me....well...erm, "problems" below the belt.:yucky:

As you can see, my skin is a mjor source of frusteration for me and quite frankly it wears me out just thinking about it.

I'm not even going to get started on the skin on my body and it's oiliness and terrible bacne.:cursing:

Please, can anyone help? Advice, recommendations, etc?

I am trying to drink more water and lessen my intake of pop and fast food.

That's pretty easy, the hard part for me is eating more veggies!

First things first. Diet and lifestyle. Exercise and what you eat are very important. Do cardio at least 3 times a week and eat loads of vegs and fruit. Also, pop in vitamin c and e pills. Multivitamins are great too.

Since you have very oily skin, I would recommend Cetaphil's Oily Skin Cleanser - ask your dermatologist. It's super good.

Don't overdose on Salicylic acid - it'll only worsen things. Try Ole Henriksen's line of toner and moisturizers - they work wonders. I like the collagen booster and the moisturizer for oily skin. Also, do check out Skinceuticals. Their Renew Overnight (this has salicylic acid though) is fantastic, moisturizing and prevents breakouts.

As for make-up, try to go au naturel and just cover up with concealer where needed.

And always, always, ALWAYS wear sunscreen everyday - rain or shine.

I agree with vogue - don't overdo it with the salicylic acid. It can make your skin think it's dry which will make it produce more oil. It just exacerbates the problem. Apply it only directly on blemishes, not all over your face.

I also think it's important to avoid touching your face as much as possible. If you have one whitehead and pop it then touch another part of your face, you're just spreading the bacteria around. If you use a sponge or brush to apply your foundation, make sure you clean it after EVERY USE.

I would get rid of the stridex, change to a more gentle face wash (the cetaphil is a good choice), and apply benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid only on actual blemishes. I would also try a very light oil-free moisturizer with sunscreen - oil of olay makes a good one.

Good luck!

I agree with the previous posters. Your routine is overloaded with Salicylic Acid products. I don't see a moisturizer in the routine. I have been using an Olay moisturizer that contains Salicylic Acid. It's kept me from breaking out further while keeping me from getting dried out, which just leads to more grease. I would try cleansing with the Cetaphil and then smooth on a thin layer of moisturizer that is formulated for blemish prone skin. The one I mentioned that has Salicylic Acid is Olay Total Effects with Blemish Control. Neutrogena also makes a similar product. Either way, gently cleanse and moisturize. Spot treat pimples if you really must.

Sometimes when you overdue trying to get rid of oil your face you will produce more oil because its not moisturized. If that makes any sense. I would go with a good oil free oil controlling cleanser, a good toner for oily skin, and a light moisturizer oil free ofcourse. I would also try the Queen Helen Mint Jelup mask 2-3 times/week and a good exfoliator too. I guess the main thing is try to even out the PH balance in your skin, I think you might be stripping it to much which is causing you more oil production. Your skin needs to be healthy. Drink plenty of water too :tup:

Aww thank you to all who answered, I really appreciate it!

I was sorta thinking that when I get done washing my face maybe my skin is sort of freaked at the overload of salicylic acid, so maybe that was why it went into oil overdrive. To test this theory I gave up salicylic acid to see what would happen but my skin only got worse. maybe my skin is dependent or I didnt give it long enough?? don't know..

I've just always stayed far far away from moisturizers as the thought of adding MORE moisture to my face freaked me out. Plus, everytime I tried one, it just gave my more blemishes.

I think I just have to find the perfect one, an oil-free, ultra light one with salicylic acid in it.

I heard toner is terrible to use on oily skin as it sends it into oil-overdrive more so than anything else.?

Oh- and I am trying to be healthier, guys! I truly am! I have been drinking a ton more water, and I have been forcing myself (lol I know, I am like a child) to eat more fresh veggies. I love fruit like candy so that's easy. Also trying to walk/jog/run on my treadmill more, though the only time I have to do that is in the am before I go to work or classes, and I am NOT a morning person....:Push:

Thank you all for the advice.:heart:

Now, if anyone actually sees this question, know of any awesome foundations for my skin type? The only thing I absolutely CANNOT go about doing is going sans foundation. I know it's better to let the skin breathe but with my job in retail letting my spotty and super pink toned skin go bare is not an option. I would absolutely DIE if I had to go to work or school without some sort of foundation on. Like, I could go without eye makeup, lipgloss, blush, but I need my foundation and loose powder. Otherwise my confidence would plummet below the floor!:tdown:

Have you tried Powder foundations? MAC studio fix, Armani, Chanel Teint Innocence, Guerlain, are just a few. I personally use the Armani one and I love it, Good even coverage and I never get oily using it! Sometimes liquid can make your skin more oily.. Also alot of girls like the mineral makeup..BE or every day minerals but some girls LOVE it and some HATE it so try samples first if you can!

I often find that when I make a big change in skin care regimens, like going to something way gentler, my skin gets worse before it gets better. Sucks, but you have to give it like a month IME before you really know how well it works. I agree with the others who said to cut back on the salicylic acid. That stuff is really harsh! I have found that my skin is less oily since I a) went on the Pill and b) started using gentle Cetaphil cleanser and a light moisturizer (Clinique). I also use tea tree oil on blemishes instead of SA treatments. Tea tree oil is my first defense, if it's a really stubborn one I'll go to SA but often the TT is enough. Good luck!

I disagree. I think toners are great. But don't use an alcohol based one. It'll only cause your skin to produce more oil. See Skinceuticals Equalizing Toner - it really helps to balance out the skin.

What topical creams/gels has your dermatologist prescribed you? Has he/she recommended ro-accutane to you?

Clinique has some good powder foundations for oily/acne prone skin. If you stop by a counter, I am sure they can help you. I use their Almost Powder Makeup SPF 15, but that is for very light coverage. If you need a little more coverage and oil control, perhaps you could try their Clarifying Powder Makeup:

http://www.clinique.com/templates/products/sp_shaded.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY4900&PRODUCT_ID=PROD3049

They also make a medicated concealer that you can use with your foundation to hide trouble spots while treating them.

Hi RaquelleBelle! I hope you're feeling better (regarding your dumb ex :P)! :flowers:

I can't offer any advice regarding foundation, mostly because I don't wear any! :lol: I used to, but I have super sensitive skin and it clogged my pores and made me break out. So I'm braving it and going outdoors with no skin makeup. :sweatdrop: My skin is slowly getting better since I'm letting it breathe naturally.

I have oily skin like you. I also recommend Cetaphil as a face wash, I use it everyday in the morning and at night and I love it.

Also, drink plenty of water. Since July, I joined the Water Club and drink at least 8 glasses of water a day (80 oz.). It's helped control the oil on my face; I actually find myself needing to blot the oil less and less. :nuts: (And I also go through oil-blotting sheets like crazy!)

Every night, I alternate between St. Ives Apricot Scrub, Queen Helene's Mint Julep Mask, and a honey-and-aspirin mask. These are good for exfoliating your skin, controlling oil, and properly moisturizing your skin. :tup:

Sometimes when you overdue trying to get rid of oil your face you will produce more oil because its not moisturized...

I agree - I sometimes think that the more you strip your face of oil, the more oil the skin produces to compensate and a vicious circle may start.

Maybe a good foaming cleanser in the morning, such as Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel might help? I know it seemed to work wonders on a teenage relative of mine who had terrible acne.

Again, as other posters have suggested, a light moisturiser during the day and a good make-up cleanser at night that isn't too harsh (maybe one of the Shu Uemura cleansing oils suited for oilier skin?). I reckon non-alcohol toners are OK, just to remove residual cleanser if nothing else.

And either a light powder foundation or even a light dusting of loose powder if a compact powder foundation is too heavy?

However, a good dermatologist might be the best route to take.

Good luck and I hope that eventually things sort themselves out for you.:yes: