Travel Studying in Wien! Advice?

In two weeks I will be heading to Vienna to study for a year!

I’ve been very busy this summer (and using that as an excuse to delay packing) but it is coming up quickly, and I need a lot of advice!

First – for anyone here who has studied abroad for a year (or even a semester) – how on earth did you pack? I spent about two months reducing my coat list to two coats, and even that took a tremendous amount of effort. My father will be taking me, so I can take over his luggage limit as a last resort, but I would really like to pack the bare minimum.

As I will be there for a year, I can travel quite a bit and stay at each place longer. I have done most of Western Europe and some of Eastern Europe, so does anyone have any recommendations of places I should visit and the best times to go?

Also, any advice or recommendations from people who are from Austria or have been to Vienna? Places and experiences I shouldn’t miss, warnings about weather, shopping, food and so on. I also need to find a place that does waxing – any recommendations?

Thanks, everyone! I cannot wait! :yahoo:

I have not stayed in Wien but I can advise you on how to pack. Which country are you residing currently? Can you give more details like will you be staying at a student housing unit as part of the college, or your own rented apartment? Reason being most student housing units will already provide you with bare necessities like cookware, iron, ironing board, mop, broom, vacuum cleaner, etc. Otherwise you will have to provide.

Besides packing for 4 seasons clothing you might want to add the following:
* slow cooker (electric)
* hiking backpack
* hiking boots (you may not go hiking but they're great for short travels around Europe)
* mug, plates, cutlery for 1 person
* camera
* laptop

I think that's about it, you can buy all your consumables in Wien. You might want to get a part time job to supplement your pocket money so you can afford to travel extensively. Wow you're lucky to have a parent travel with you. I had to pack everything myself and was unaccompanied.

The only thing I'm thinking of right now is. Lucky you! Bring skiing clothes

In two weeks I will be heading to Vienna to study for a year!

I’ve been very busy this summer (and using that as an excuse to delay packing) but it is coming up quickly, and I need a lot of advice!

First – for anyone here who has studied abroad for a year (or even a semester) – how on earth did you pack? I spent about two months reducing my coat list to two coats, and even that took a tremendous amount of effort. My father will be taking me, so I can take over his luggage limit as a last resort, but I would really like to pack the bare minimum.

As I will be there for a year, I can travel quite a bit and stay at each place longer. I have done most of Western Europe and some of Eastern Europe, so does anyone have any recommendations of places I should visit and the best times to go?

Also, any advice or recommendations from people who are from Austria or have been to Vienna? Places and experiences I shouldn’t miss, warnings about weather, shopping, food and so on. I also need to find a place that does waxing – any recommendations?

Thanks, everyone! I cannot wait! :yahoo:

I have been to Klagenfurt last year. It's not Vienna but I've learnt that the stores close at 6 pm!! I don't know if it is the same in Vienna as it's the capital city but be sure you check the closing times of supermarkets!
If you need advices on Italy or London I'll be happy to help you! :smile:

Wien is very very beautiful!
it is cold in winter,and it usually snow .
You must visit Prague in czech republic!Prague is the most beautifull city i've never seen!
Innsbruck and Salzubrg are beautifull too...
In Christmas time there a lot of event!and you can see also the Sudtirol in Italy:Bressanone,Brunico,Vipiteno(amazing!)...

Thank you for your responses!

VPT - I am from New Jersey but go to college in Montreal (so I am actually looking forward to a milder winter). I will be staying in housing about 40 minutes off campus, with a kitchen on the floor.

Mediana - I will! :tup:

Alice from Italy - I will be visiting friends in Florence - any recommendations?

dreamss - Prague is definitely on my list!