study at us

  1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. i am considering to study master course at US .

    i hope someone here can help me..

    do i must take Gmat exam? I done my bachelor degree back at yr 2001.. so it is quite a long time ago.. I also done a graudate diploma at 02.

    and also .. do I have to take the course from the same field as what I studied before? ( eg .. i done commerce degree, can I do master in IT?)

    I am seriously thinking about moving to US and seems this is no easy way to obtain a visa .. my friend suggested study a master course ans then try to find a job is the most easy path..
  2. The GMAT exam is for graduate business schools (MBA studies). If you are interested in studying IT, you will take the GRE exam. More information is here:

    For graduate (master's) degree programs in IT, you will need to have experience or demonstrated proficiency in an IT field - in other words, master's programs will not teach you IT from the beginning if you have no knowledge or experience now.

    There are fields in which you could apply to build upon your commerce education - you could look into business (MBA) or other fields, like international relations, economics, etc.

    Obtaining an F-1 student visa to study in the US is a detailed process, and you will need to be accepted by a US university and demonstrate you are able to pay the tuition and fees and fully support yourself during your studies. Here are some websites to check out on this:

    I hate to be a downer, but you should know that getting a job in the US after your studies could be very difficult, as US visa restrictions for legal non-resident aliens are quite strict. One visa option you may have heard of is the H-1B visa. This type of visa is available in capped numbers (65,000 in 2009) and designated for individuals pursuing jobs in "specialty occupations" as defined by the US government. The visa process requires that a company sponsor an individual for this visa, which includes application and other fees, totaling into the US$thousands per application. A potential employee must have very unique skills for companies to agree to sponsorship.

    More here:

    During these tough economic times with hundreds of thousands of layoffs and rising unemployment rates, my guess is that not many companies are open to sponsoring H-1B visa holders in 2009.

  3. IT requires a computer science and/or computer engineering, or even at some schools now they offer IT as a major. You will be required to take the GRE exams, by the way, which are just advanced SATs...but are crucial to getting into a good graduate program.

    There really isn't a field per se in "commerce" - I'm assuming this would be business? Either way, as said from the post above, you're far better off sticking with that.

    I work in High Tech and trust me - IT is a very hands-on type of position requiring a LOT of experience. It's not the safest bet to jump into if your major is completely unrelated.
  4. thanks for all the resource and opinion... hmm maybe i should stick with business? I just hope to find a job in the future once i finished my school... and I need to choose the right direction.

    Seems like moving to US is a big and long process to me...
  5. Chloe, if you want to move to another country for studies/work, have you looked into Canada? I am no expert in the immigration laws there but my understanding is that they are much easier than US immigration laws.
  6. redney

    yes i have been looking around , seems most of the countries have working holiday scheme.. except US.. and the Gmat exam seems not a easy task for me. ( someone havent been study for almost 8 years)
  7. You may also be required to take the TOFEL exam depending on where you end up applying.

    I do know that having a F1 Visa can limit where you work and how much you can make. See if you can get a graduate fellowship or assistantship for the program. A warning of sorts, in the business field the competition for these aids is very competitive.

    It will definitely take some time and redney provided you with some excellent advice.

    Also, something you may want to consider is coming to the US as an exchange student. What may be in your best interest is to enroll in say a Master's program in Aust. (University of Sydney comes to mind) and come study in the US for a year.

    And another suggestion.......perhaps look into MBA programs here...(that's Master's of Business Administration)...where at that time, you may have to end up taking IT/web classes as electives.
  8. i am doing some research tonight again... i have 1 big problem .. it is the reference letter. I left my previous uni at 2001.. it is long long time ago.. and I cannot remember any professor's name.. as i am not those top student anyway.. my grade was average.. I am not sure how can I obtain a reference letter for the application but i do have some reference letter from previous employer .

    Do all university require the reference letter??? I am seriously thinking maybe i should start from bachelor degree..
  9. ^^^Letter(s) of reference are a standard part of an applicant's university admissions materials, both for bachelor's and master's studies. Have you worked since 2001? Do you have a supervisor during that time who can write a letter of recommendation for you?

    i:heart:bags has good advice about the TOEFL exam requirements, exchange programs and MBA too.

    I don't think you will need to re-do your bachelor's study - this seems like a waste of your time and money.

    Good luck and keep us updated! :flowers: