Stud earrings you can wear 24/7

Sep 13, 2007
I've been hunting for cute pairs of stud earrings that are comfortable to wear day and night, that don't poke you when your head is on a pillow, that have secure backings that don't fall off, that are fine to wear in the shower. Can anyone recommend pairs like that? Sterling or 14K is fine.

Years ago one was able to buy earrings with rounded backs that were comfortable to wear day and night, and didn't fall off. But today it seems all the earrings come with butterfly clutches that may or may not stay on at night.

Screw backs are good for security but I find them REALLY uncomfortable. Also, the posts tend to be thicker and sleeping with them could potentially stretch out your piercings. My ear lobes tend to be sensitive, so, YMMV.

I like the Tiffany DBTY earrings. I sleep with them and find them very comfortable. I don't shower with them though because I am always paranoid about losing earrings (and other jewelry) down the shower drain.

Another option would be huggies. They aren't studs, but I find them to be the most comfortable type of earring to sleep in. I love the Roberto Coin baby hoops. They retail for about $880 but if you wait, you can find them on sale sometimes.

Sue - Check out body piercing jewelry. My wife has a couple of pairs of threaded studs, intended for a labret piercing, she wears in her lobes when she doesn't feel like anything fancy, like when we're traveling. They are straight with a CZ on one end and a flat 'plate' on the other. She sometimes wears them for months at a time. Since they thread on they are very secure. You can get many types with anything from a gold ball to a diamond on the front. Straight barbells can also work. Go to a body piercing salon and see what they have.

Bob

I've been hunting for cute pairs of stud earrings that are comfortable to wear day and night, that don't poke you when your head is on a pillow, that have secure backings that don't fall off, that are fine to wear in the shower. Can anyone recommend pairs like that? Sterling or 14K is fine.

Years ago one was able to buy earrings with rounded backs that were comfortable to wear day and night, and didn't fall off. But today it seems all the earrings come with butterfly clutches that may or may not stay on at night.

While I don't have any specific recommendations, I would think screw backings are your safest bet if you're going to be keeping the earrings on for extended periods of time.

Screw backings are the most secure. I wear them even when swimming. Never lost them in 16 yrs.

Where do you folks find screwback earrings? Is this a jewelry store thing? I've seen them on some Blue Nile diamond earrings, but nowhere else.

Screw backs are good for security but I find them REALLY uncomfortable. Also, the posts tend to be thicker and sleeping with them could potentially stretch out your piercings. My ear lobes tend to be sensitive, so, YMMV.

I like the Tiffany DBTY earrings. I sleep with them and find them very comfortable. I don't shower with them though because I am always paranoid about losing earrings (and other jewelry) down the shower drain.

Another option would be huggies. They aren't studs, but I find them to be the most comfortable type of earring to sleep in. I love the Roberto Coin baby hoops. They retail for about $880 but if you wait, you can find them on sale sometimes.

Thanks for the recommendations of Tiffany and Roberto Coin earrings, Shopgirl. I have read others on TPF reporting that screwbacks are uncomfortable, although I'd like to try them just the same. Do the Tiffany DBTY earrings have what's called a tension back. Like this:
http://www.tiffany.com/jewelry/earr...wse&searchkeyword=&trackpdp=rv&fromcid=297647

I do have some gold huggie-style earrings, but they kinda got smashed in my pillow and now they're lopsided. But they're not high-end earrings. I also have hoop wire earrings but those seem to get tangled in my hair at night and get pulled off my ear. But you say you haven't had this problem with the Roberto Coin earrings? Can you recommend a style?

I've been spending a lot of time in my jammies lately because of health issues and I feel so much better when I'm wearing a pair of earrings. Just don't feel like myself without earrings. ;) But most of my earrings are leverback, which fall off in bed, or are big and jazzy. Any recommendations are much appreciated!

Just one type I found -

http://www.tribalectic.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=873&idcategory=68

Where do you folks find screwback earrings? Is this a jewelry store thing? I've seen them on some Blue Nile diamond earrings, but nowhere else.

Thanks for the recommendations of Tiffany and Roberto Coin earrings, Shopgirl. I have read others on TPF reporting that screwbacks are uncomfortable, although I'd like to try them just the same. Do the Tiffany DBTY earrings have what's called a tension back. Like this:
http://www.tiffany.com/jewelry/earr...wse&searchkeyword=&trackpdp=rv&fromcid=297647

I do have some gold huggie-style earrings, but they kinda got smashed in my pillow and now they're lopsided. But they're not high-end earrings. I also have hoop wire earrings but those seem to get tangled in my hair at night and get pulled off my ear. But you say you haven't had this problem with the Roberto Coin earrings? Can you recommend a style?

I've been spending a lot of time in my jammies lately because of health issues and I feel so much better when I'm wearing a pair of earrings. Just don't feel like myself without earrings. ;) But most of my earrings are leverback, which fall off in bed, or are big and jazzy. Any recommendations are much appreciated!

Sue - Check out body piercing jewelry. My wife has a couple of pairs of threaded studs, intended for a labret piercing, she wears in her lobes when she doesn't feel like anything fancy, like when we're traveling. They are straight with a CZ on one end and a flat 'plate' on the other. She sometimes wears them for months at a time. Since they thread on they are very secure. You can get many types with anything from a gold ball to a diamond on the front. Straight barbells can also work. Go to a body piercing salon and see what they have.

Bob

Oh thank you so very much, Bob! I was thinking of going to a tattoo/body piercing shop and checking out their jewelry figuring that surely they'd have something durable and comfortable. Now I will definitely do this. What your wife wears is just what I'm looking for. Thank you!

Big Purse Sue have you thought about la pousette backs? They are a tension back, rounded and I have had earrings changed to this backing, but I have had the backs work on most posts. Then you can use any earrings you want! :flowers:

Big Purse Sue have you thought about la pousette backs? They are a tension back, rounded and I have had earrings changed to this backing, but I have had the backs work on most posts. Then you can use any earrings you want! :flowers:

I have never heard of la pousette backs! I googled them and it looks like they would work. Do you have a jeweler solder them to your earrings? Are they available in 14K?

I don't know what your budget is, but screw backs are frequently found on better quality diamond studs. If you get a set of studs made, say, on Blue Nile or Ritani, you can request screw backs instead of the normal push backs.

I have never heard of la pousette backs! I googled them and it looks like they would work. Do you have a jeweler solder them to your earrings? Are they available in 14K?

Exactly! I have had a jeweler solder them on earrings, they come in gold and platinum. I can't remember the prices but most Jewelers can order them for you and put them on. They are very comfortable, more so than push backs, elephants or the screw backs. :flowers:

The only earrings I saw that already came with screw backs were diamond studs...usually over 3/4ctw. You can always have earrings converted to screw backs by a jeweler.

The Tiffany earrings I was talking about were the Diamonds by the Yard earrings like in your link. The tension backs are very secure. I have them in 0.10 ctw in YG and they are comfortable to sleep in. I don't shower in my jewelry so I can't comment on that.

I was recommending the Roberto Coin diamond baby hoop earrings that retail for $880. You can get them on sale sometimes. Here is a pic of them I found on the internet (it's not mine). I did not have a problem with them becoming lopsided, but I only slept in them once. I don't think they would get deformed because I think they are solid gold, but that's just my limited experience. YMMV.

I saw that someone else recommended la pousette backs. They are my favorite! Very comfortable and secure. If you have earrings you already like, you can have the posts converted into la pousette backs. They would change the post so it matches the locking mechanism.

Attachments

• COIE0206K5.jpg
    COIE0206K5.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 7,242