Stuck in a satchel rut... or just hitting my style stride?

I have a variety of other styles from past points, but I'm a satchel woman too - HH Mercer satchel, HH Gaza satchel, HH Pastis frame bag on its way (technically not a satchel since HH has another Pastis style so designated - but really, close enough!).

I also love the HH Suki (waiting for emerald in spring 08) and HH Mosaique satchel - but just look at the pics you put up, Jandelvis - they have completey different personalities! Suki is quite proper, Mosaique far more louche. Suki goes to hotel teas and the Met, Mosaique goes to non-chain coffee bars and open studios. Gaza goes wherever she pleases and is always prepared for any eventuality (that leather that looks like its been around a few times and all those pockets, you know!)

You don't need a hobo bag to feel more casual - and I think Pastis strikes a good balance. She can do the lady-like thing (frame, kiss-lock) yet has an undercurrent of edge (vintage leather, leather-covered studs) so should be comfortable with herself anywhere!

As a size compromise (although I don't like my satchels too too big), I often use a vintage clutch as a wallet/essentials bag, toss it in the satchel, and then take it out and about on its own as needed during the day. Diana Vreeland once said that everybody has style - its just that not everybody has good style. You do, my dear - embrace it!

^ Another purse twin! GlamaRuth - I've been admiring your collection for some time now... i am floored by your ability to tuck away the Prune Gaza for it's intended use as a baby bag - oh, the restraint! But you will be the most styling mama for miles around, for sure. i too am twitching in anticipation of the Suki in Emerald, and i can't wait to see your real life pics of the Pastis...

and thank you so much for your kind words - i've heard the diana vreeland quote somewhere before but to hear it applied to my choices is beyond flattering! i am an admirer of your strong sense of personal style... i am working towards cultivating my identifiable, unique aesthetic - letting it unfold through trial and error, experimentation and a few blunders ;) When a friend or my bf remarks, "wow that is so *you*!" i can't be more pleased.

To add to GlamaRuth's inspirational quote, Nan Kempner said:

"I really do love clothes. Isn't it awful? It's a disease, like being an alcoholic. I'm addicted. I suppose there are things that are worse for you, though, And it's awfully nice to be wrapped in beautiful things. It makes us feel infinitely more beautiful than we are."

Maybe it is as simple as going after what we think is most beautiful... something that may be as unalterable or undeniable as our eye color or which man/woman we find most attractive out of a line-up ;)

^ Another purse twin! GlamaRuth - I've been admiring your collection for some time now... i am floored by your ability to tuck away the Prune Gaza for it's intended use as a baby bag - oh, the restraint! But you will be the most styling mama for miles around, for sure. i too am twitching in anticipation of the Suki in Emerald, and i can't wait to see your real life pics of the Pastis...

Thanks! Not so hard to put away the Gaza (am I crazy to admit that sometimes I take it out just to touch it?), as I got it right after my first HH (Mercer triple-c) from the Big Bang sale, which I love using everyday. The Gaza price on ebay was simply too good to pass up. I waited two years to get the Mercer, and now that I have seen and used HH in real life, I am becoming insatiable! After the Pastis gets here, I shall force myself to wait on the Mosaique (and hope it doesn't sell out). Emerald Suki shall be ours, though!

If I can figure out how to load pics, I will post the Pastis, as well as the Inka, Margot, and Gaza hobo I got as gifts for best friend, sister, and sister-in-law, plus the Mercer and Gaza - and I'll even throw in a selection of vintage bags (most from my grandmother, the original GlamaRuth, some from my own hunting).

I've found that satchels are overall the most workable bags for me, so the majority of my bags now fit into that category. IMO it's a good thing to know what works for you, as it helps narrow your focus and keeps you from being tempted by every pretty bag that comes down the pike.

Suki is quite proper, Mosaique far more louche. Suki goes to hotel teas and the Met, Mosaique goes to non-chain coffee bars and open studios. Gaza goes wherever she pleases and is always prepared for any eventuality (that leather that looks like its been around a few times and all those pockets, you know!)

Oh GlamaRuth - I adore your writing! How would you describe Kiss Kiss's personality? Where would she be most at home?

And ITA about the variety in in your range of satchels Jandelvis. In fact, I have been thinking how my 'style-groove' is the subset of satchels - boxy with thousands of pockets! I do wish that my taste were more frivolous - but I always get drawn to their earnestness. I do love the purses that you gravitate to - and your pointing them out allows me to give them a second look.

I have been thinking about extending my collection, so that I can keep my beloved satchel packed for the week (I even have a pocket for paperclips - you know - for that one occasion per year when you need one!) - but I have a range of 'little things' to play with for the weekend.

Oh GlamaRuth - I adore your writing! How would you describe Kiss Kiss's personality? Where would she be most at home?

Hmm... I have a bag of my mom's from the early 60's that is similar to the Margot Kiss-Kiss (hand-held, boxy tweed body, brown leather trim). I would say that the Kiss-kiss could be carried by a girl going out to lunch with with Grandma, but she might have to be careful about letting anything tumble out from that oh-so-proper exterior. Maybe she'd keep her subtle lipstick, compact, always-paid-off credit card, and theater tickets in the kiss-lock sides, but keep her purple gloss, after-club essentials, and crumpled cash for late-night taxis securely zipped away in the middle? Or Grandma could carry it, slung over her forearm, when she surprises the girl by leaving lunch on the back of her (much younger) boyfriend's bike.

I do love the look of a satchel-the Chloe Heloise, to be specific. And I'm not sure that one would necessarily be a satchel. But its out of my budget (completely) so I'm making do with what I've got. I'm enjoying some Cynthia Rowley leather bags right now. I just recently got out of this "thing" with bags where everything had to fit in there "just so". Does anyone know how hard that is???:wacko: But I'm embracing a medium shoulder bag & everything is tossed in-sort of.:P So I'm feel that I'm starting to hit my style stride-larger & black leather. This has been long time coming b/c I do believe you gravitate towards what you like & what you know works well for you.

maybe you just gravitate towards HH. ;)

Satchels are versatile shapes and great for everyday use... so there's no reason why you can't buy as many as you want! as long as you keep a good variety in styling and color, why not! Satchel away!

Yeah, you are definitely just hitting your style stride. I also :heart: satchels. I went out on a limb and bought a Botkier Sasha duffle and, while I love it for traveling because of its size, it doesn't get that much use normally. Just go for the satchels!