Structure and durability of reissues

ngbranda

Nov 20, 2016
Hi ladies, I went chanel shopping after work today and have my eyes on this lovely navy blue chevron reissue in the 255 size with gold hardware. It was love at first sight and the size fits very well to what I need - cross body/shoulder both look great with enough space for essentials. Plus it's aged calf skin hence it wouldn't show scratches. But I'm sitting on the fence because,

1. The gold hardware looks faded and I'm afraid after daily usage the gold will fade even more. Is this true for those who own a reissue with gold hardware?

2. The leather is meant to look aged so there are creases here and there. I was told with more usage the creases will increase. Do you experience this too?

Would love to hear from anyone who has experience wearing a reissue!

Attached a picture from a fellow tpfer with her beautiful navy chevron reissue

IMG_1492097156.989771.jpg

I love my Reissue. It's almost three years old. The hardware looks the same. The material looks the same. Of all the major bags I've purchased, this is the one that's stayed the course and I still regularly use. I fell in love with what I now know is the 224, but ended up purchasing the 225 and even today could not be happier. Love my Reissue.

Wow such a beautiful reissue! I love the antique gold hardware but my SA has confirmed that the hardware will definitely wear off but in more than 10 years. And the creases will increase with more wear as well..

I absolutely love the blue chevron with gold hardware but I don't know if I can live with the wear and tear as a daily bag especially with such an expensive bag.

I love reissues, but i prefer the quilted on compared to the chevron. Chevron looks very modern & beautiful, but from my experience, chevron tends to get 'creases' between each of the chevron at times depending on usage. Though it can be reduced by stuffing the bag. I dont mind the aged calfskins natural creases, i think it added more character to the bag.

As for the ghw, it will faded over use & time. Chanel do offer replating it back (within 5 years), or you can send to other leather repairs experts (i.e leather surgent). Good luck in deciding!

I posted a reveal about a year and a half ago of a reissue with the same leather as the one you posted:

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/reissue-shopping-bag-instant-reveal.919588/

I use this bag almost every day, and hardly ever wipe it. She is a workhorse and still looks great. It can get warm here in Hawaii and so the chain can have some hand-sweat on it. I tried cleaning one side of the chain and comparing it with the other side at one time and could not tell a difference, thus I do not bother to clean the chain. I do not wipe the bag either. Every time I do, I honestly saw no difference, so why rub on it un-necessarily.

The structure of the bag has not changed. Nor has the shine or surface of the leather.

Here are two pictures I just took now. She looks pretty much the same :smile: I would not worry if I were you.

Attachments

• 20170417_145458.jpg
    20170417_145458.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 702
  • 20170417_145650.jpg
    20170417_145650.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 708
Hi ladies, I went chanel shopping after work today and have my eyes on this lovely navy blue chevron reissue in the 255 size with gold hardware. It was love at first sight and the size fits very well to what I need - cross body/shoulder both look great with enough space for essentials. Plus it's aged calf skin hence it wouldn't show scratches. But I'm sitting on the fence because,

1. The gold hardware looks faded and I'm afraid after daily usage the gold will fade even more. Is this true for those who own a reissue with gold hardware?

2. The leather is meant to look aged so there are creases here and there. I was told with more usage the creases will increase. Do you experience this too?

Would love to hear from anyone who has experience wearing a reissue!

Attached a picture from a fellow tpfer with her beautiful navy chevron reissue

View attachment 3666467
I love this bag. Its so classic Chanel.

Wow such a beautiful reissue! I love the antique gold hardware but my SA has confirmed that the hardware will definitely wear off but in more than 10 years. And the creases will increase with more wear as well..

I absolutely love the blue chevron with gold hardware but I don't know if I can live with the wear and tear as a daily bag especially with such an expensive bag.
I would take the SA's comments/confirmation with a grain of salt since it's been proven many times over that they don't many things about the Chanel brand, including new or old materials and how they wear.

Last edited:
I love reissues, but i prefer the quilted on compared to the chevron. Chevron looks very modern & beautiful, but from my experience, chevron tends to get 'creases' between each of the chevron at times depending on usage. Though it can be reduced by stuffing the bag. I dont mind the aged calfskins natural creases, i think it added more character to the bag.

As for the ghw, it will faded over use & time. Chanel do offer replating it back (within 5 years), or you can send to other leather repairs experts (i.e leather surgent). Good luck in deciding!

I love the length of the reissue. Works well cross body unlike the medium flap which I think is the equivalent of the 225 size.
But like you mentioned the creases and hardware fading I don't think I can live with it... I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap to replate the hardware

I posted a reveal about a year and a half ago of a reissue with the same leather as the one you posted:

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/reissue-shopping-bag-instant-reveal.919588/

I use this bag almost every day, and hardly ever wipe it. She is a workhorse and still looks great. It can get warm here in Hawaii and so the chain can have some hand-sweat on it. I tried cleaning one side of the chain and comparing it with the other side at one time and could not tell a difference, thus I do not bother to clean the chain. I do not wipe the bag either. Every time I do, I honestly saw no difference, so why rub on it un-necessarily.

The structure of the bag has not changed. Nor has the shine or surface of the leather.

Here are two pictures I just took now. She looks pretty much the same :smile: I would not worry if I were you.

Your reissue looks amazing! I live in Singapore so the humidity and warm weather would be similar to that in Hawaii. Do you have a medium classic flap that you could compare to the reissue in terms of wear?

I would take the SA's comments/confirmation with a grain of salt since it's been proven many times over that they don't many things about the Chanel brand, including new or old materials and how they wear.

I was actually thinking between this reissue or the medium flap and was leaning towards the classic flap but now after seeing all your comments, I'm unsure!

Your reissue looks amazing! I live in Singapore so the humidity and warm weather would be similar to that in Hawaii. Do you have a medium classic flap that you could compare to the reissue in terms of wear?

I have a medium beige claire lambskin classic flap. It is hard to compare because I wear the reissue every day and the CF when I travel to the mainland or go out. I actually do not wear the CF as much because 1) it doesn't hold near as much and 2) it's lamb. I know they say lamb is sturdy, but my bigger concern is collecting stains.

The CF still looks great as the day I bought her, but of course I have a little color transfer on the back. I decided not to worry about it because it is still a great bag. If I had it to do over, I would have gotten a caviar CF (still beige...). I have a white caviar GST and she takes a beating. I use her as my airplane carry on, pillow, footrest, rain blocker, etc. I just wipe with a towel and she is great. No signs of wear at all. I think if I had gotten a CF in caviar I would have the same experience.

In terms of humidity, I actually live in what is known as a very dry part of Hawaii, so I do not have to worry about mold. If it rains here twice in a year, we complain about it for weeks :smile: My previous house was in a more typically humid area and I had installed a dehumidifier in my closet that ran 24/7. That way my bags and clothes were not affected by humidity.

Reactions: bellebellebelle19
I have a medium beige claire lambskin classic flap. It is hard to compare because I wear the reissue every day and the CF when I travel to the mainland or go out. I actually do not wear the CF as much because 1) it doesn't hold near as much and 2) it's lamb. I know they say lamb is sturdy, but my bigger concern is collecting stains.

The CF still looks great as the day I bought her, but of course I have a little color transfer on the back. I decided not to worry about it because it is still a great bag. If I had it to do over, I would have gotten a caviar CF (still beige...). I have a white caviar GST and she takes a beating. I use her as my airplane carry on, pillow, footrest, rain blocker, etc. I just wipe with a towel and she is great. No signs of wear at all. I think if I had gotten a CF in caviar I would have the same experience.

In terms of humidity, I actually live in what is known as a very dry part of Hawaii, so I do not have to worry about mold. If it rains here twice in a year, we complain about it for weeks :smile: My previous house was in a more typically humid area and I had installed a dehumidifier in my closet that ran 24/7. That way my bags and clothes were not affected by humidity.

Yes, calf/caviar still works the best. I've got a lambskin jumbo for about 5 years now and though it's still in great shape, there's some scuffings here and there whereas if it's caviar, I'm sure it still looks pristine. I've actually decided to get a medium flap in black caviar and am just waiting to receive it!
I think we can never go wrong with any Chanel!