Stretching grosgrain?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I won a cute little pair of espadrilles on the 'bay a few days ago, and they came in today! This is them:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330343293612

The thing is, the right shoe fits perfectly - and the left is just a hair small (my left foot is bigger). My foot will fit in the shoe, but there's definitely a little bit of pudge. I'm probably the only one who'll notice it, but it bugs me. So I'm wondering, will these stretch at all since they have grosgrain uppers? I'm thinking not, but hoping someone else has had experience with this.

I'm at work now, but later tonight I'll post some pics to get opinions on whether my mind is blowing up a minor issue or if they're really small enough that I should put them back up on ebay.

2. In my experience with grosgrain, the fabric is so tightly woven...it doesn't stretch. Not what you want to hear, I know. Sorry.

3. ^yeah, I've had no luck with grosgrain either, and I seriously yanked at the fabric but it just would not give.

4. #4 Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
    Yeah, not what I wanted to hear, but still what I expected :sad: I wore them around for a while today, and they actually are pretty comfortable. I'm still afraid they look too small though, and maybe not very flattering. Tell me what you think (please excuse my nasty mirror & nasty feet):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Too small to look cute on me? I hate to give them up - they're so pretty!

5. I think the espadrilles are a little narrow, but from the side they look great. Mine are a little narrow like that, too.

6. You know, I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you're looking at your foot from directly overhead -- which hopefully only you will be... -- it's not noticeable. Plus, when you're seated, it's probably imperceptible. Any wider, and your feet would probably be flopping around. I think as long as they're comfortable, keep them, because they look super cute.

7. I think they look a little narrow but it's not very noticeable. The most important thing is if they are comfortable or not.

8. I actually have on a pair of Tiburons right now (in gold) and the grosgrain definitely doesn't stretch and I definitely know the issue you're talking about. Mine are pretty much like yours--a little tight, a little narrow, but I love them so I will wear them anyway :P

This is what mine look like (very similar fit to yours)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Ok, you've all convinced me - they stay! Thanks for all the opinions and advice. The fit is actually very comfortable, I was just worried about the top/rear view where my feet hang over a little on the sides. Espadrilles are only in whole sizes, right? So I'm afraid going up to a 39 would be waaaay too big. Also meggyg8r, thanks for telling me the style name - that was my next question. The ebay listing said they were called 'semelle cuir' and I was like "ummmm, probably not."

You may also be glad to know that last night brought some serious exfoliation and painting of toenails :biggrin:

10. Yes, espadrilles are generally only in whole sizes. I'm a US 7.5 and my Tiburons are 39s.. there is no way I could have done a 38. I don't think sizing up would be too bad, to be honest.

11. I don't think they look too small. Enjoy them!!

12. I have the Grosgrain Isa Espadrilles,

[​IMG]

And they stretched in no time. It took them around 15 minutes to feel comfy on the toes. Maybe because the straps were both grosgrain and lambskin? I dunno...I sized up (39) because I wear 38.5, and they are a tad big (the heel "swims"), but I don't mind.
    Just give them time, they look awesome btw, not small at all.

13. I actually think they look perfectly fine. Your over thinking it...just wear them and enjoy!