Travel Street fashion question in Roma ( ...and around the world).

Elissabeta

I always smile...
Jun 28, 2009
Ok here I am again ....what about that ????

This weekend I was with my hubby in downtown of Roma and I saw a girl wearing great clog boots. My first tought was Marni , but the girl was far from us , sa I decided go fallow....the closer look changed my opinion about the boots brand but I still like it . I nicely asked if she speak English , she said so so ...I told her that I like her boots and what brand they are ....hmmmm....she ....looked at me and said... why ??? What is your problem about my boots??? ...I answered nothing just like them a lot. She turned back to her friend and she said in Italian that I am crazy and walked a way.
Something like that happen to my friend too, only she was just ignored .

So my question is ....am I allowed here to tell people an the street that I like something ??? Is this ok to ask about brand??....or I will sound crazy ??

In US people feel free to stop you an the street and ask those questions , I always gave them clear answer . They ask where you got this, what season , how much you paid, if you have any idea where to buy it , and if just somebody said I love it !!! I always answerd .... thank you very much .
Its totally normal and very nice.

What about other countries ??? I would like to know for future . Thank you .

Maybe it was just a miscommunication? I know I've asked people in Spanish-speaking countries (Spain, Mexico, Peru) about shoes/clothes/etc on the street and never had a bad reaction. Same in English-speaking countries. I've never tried in other places (Spanish is the foreign language that I'm very comfortable speaking).

I bet it was just miscommunication.

I don't think it is common to compliment strangers on clothing in any city, but for most people it would be a pleasant surprise when it happens.

(And during fashion week, people are dressing to be noticed! Most people will oblige when asked to have their picture taken.)

I'm not familiar with that practice at all and I go between the UK and Ireland. It's kind of considered rude to ask those questions unless very close friends.

I wore a new pair of boots today and 3 separate women asked me about them. One girl even wrapped her hand around my calf to touch the leather and I didn't flinch! One asked me where I got them, who made them and how many people have freaked out over them. Another came to me from across the room and said, I am in love with your boots!

It's super flattering and very sweet, because it takes effort for people to express themselves in such a way to a stranger. It's not at all rude or odd and I would definitely ask someone the same thing as you OP if I were in Europe or anywhere else abroad. I think there was miscommunication between you and the lady, that's all. :yes: Not your fault!

I would think this is a personality thing - not everyone likes to be asked about their stuff in the street, some oblige although they don't like it and others just walk away. I have only felt the urge to ask a girl in the street about her outfit once or twice, and I didn't actually ask. certainly in my part of Europe it is not that common.

I see

50% yes ....will ask the street fashion question
50% no

I was wondering what to do in the future situation. My hubby was with me and he live in Italy for 20 years, so he told me that he never seen people asking about that. This girl had no idea we were togather, so she was talking in Italian to her friend about me and what I said , so for sure she knew what I was asking about . Even to this strange end I was so nice and dont wanna make her feel bad . So just smile and said sorry.

In US most often people who dont know me are askig about my outfits etc. than people I know. Sometimes is just quick ... I love your bag , wow nice shoes , cute dress etc. and they walk away. I just stay with nice feeling and smile for rest of the day , and If I can help I always do ....that is also part of my job :biggrin:

For sure I will be more careful in Europe to express what I feel ....thank you!

same here, not common at all to ask about accessories or haircut. It's common to ask about dogs though.

heheheh maryg1....that is so funny , but you are right ....everybody ask us about our dog , and they make compliments an her ...they stop, they ask her name, age , even wanna play :lolots:

I guess it really just depends on someone's personality as mentioned above. I would be flattered if someone asked me about my outfit or complimented on it, and I'm from Europe. :P

heheheh maryg1....that is so funny , but you are right ....everybody ask us about our dog , and they make compliments an her ...they stop, they ask her name, age , even wanna play :lolots:
Yes, that happens very often. It always makes me so proud of my little doggy :biggrin:

I guess it really just depends on someone's personality as mentioned above. I would be flattered if someone asked me about my outfit or complimented on it, and I'm from Europe. :P

Yes, that happens very often. It always makes me so proud of my little doggy :biggrin:

I have to say that if a woman would ask me about my shoes, bags or haircut I would be flattered and would answer nicely, if it was a men instead I think I'd run away!

I'm not familiar with that practice at all and I go between the UK and Ireland. It's kind of considered rude to ask those questions unless very close friends.

I'm in agreement. It's perfectly lovely to compliment someone ("That's a great pair of boots you have on!") but I definitely feel it's rude to ask a stranger for brand or cost. I've noticed that younger people tend to do that, whereas when I'm stopped by those who appear 30yo and over, they tend to pass along a compliment and go on their merry way. That said, when I am asked about the brand or cost of an item by a stranger, I generally smile and say "You know, I can't remember. But thank you for the compliment."

I'm from Europe and I've been asked about the brand of my outfit several times. I see nothing wrong with it. Maybe I would feel a bit uncomfortable if someone asked about the price but that never happened so far.

I think to ask about cost is rude, or I'd feel uncomfortable if someone asked me that.

There is nothing wrong with complements, but I think it depends on the person. I'd struggle to approach someone and complement or ask about a piece.