Strap shortening and glue marks

muchstuff

Incorrigible Bagaholic
Authenticator
Jun 6, 2014
Posted this in the care and maintenance but there's not much traffic there so am reposting...

Can anyone who has had a bag strap shortened post a pic of what the join looks like? I have to get my strap for my drop bucket shortened and there's no way other than cutting it to do so.

Peace, if you read this I tried to PM you because I know you had yours done but your inbox is full...

Also, anyone have any advice on how to remove old glue (not fresh) from leather? TIA!

Nope, want to try to remove it, as the leather is very light-coloured. And I'm adventurous :lol:

I would agree that I would leave it 'as is', especially given that it's a light colored bag. You would have to use something super-duper gentle, and even then .. :?:

Given that I've been with the brand since Day 1, I have never attempted to get rid of excess glue as I heard horror stories about others who tried in the past.

I would agree that I would leave it 'as is', especially given that it's a light colored bag. You would have to use something super-duper gentle, and even then .. :?:

Given that I've been with the brand since Day 1, I have never attempted to get rid of excess glue as I heard horror stories about others who tried in the past.

Thanks for the advice, we shall see once the bag arrives!

Hi Much, here you go. Mine was cut equally at the centre. If you see carefully, the cut was not "straight" at each side, but with a gradient, so that it can be sewn back nicely & smoothly. Hope you get what i mean.

Oh.... on a side note. Keep the cut portion of the strap, it may become useful 1 day. Well, the leather is good. I use the cut portion to make a "stopper" for my Chanel Bucket bag. ;)

Attachments

• 20160513_123814_resized.jpg
    20160513_123814_resized.jpg
    873.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 20160513_123751_resized.jpg
    20160513_123751_resized.jpg
    702.9 KB · Views: 137
  • 20160513_123707_resized.jpg
    20160513_123707_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 132
Hi Much, here you go. Mine was cut equally at the centre. If you see carefully, the cut was not "straight" at each side, but with a gradient, so that it can be sewn back nicely & smoothly. Hope you get what i mean.

Oh.... on a side note. Keep the cut portion of the strap, it may become useful 1 day. Well, the leather is good. I use the cut portion to make a "stopper" for my Chanel Bucket bag. ;)

Wow, whoever did that was thinking...I've been worried that I'd end up with a thick seam right at top of my shoulder. Hmmm, will take this pic with me, thanks!

You are most welcome!

I was really impressed with the result too. It's good to know that he was really thinking of how to minimize the "alteration look" as much as possible ;)

Good luck with yours !

Wow, whoever did that was thinking...I've been worried that I'd end up with a thick seam right at top of my shoulder. Hmmm, will take this pic with me, thanks!

You are most welcome!

I was really impressed with the result too. It's good to know that he was really thinking of how to minimize the "alteration look" as much as possible ;)

Good luck with yours !

I have a great alteration/designer/fantastic person so I'll show her and see if she feels up to the challenge...thanks peace!