Strap on Vintage Coach Bag - Color Transfer

Valeriee

Jul 6, 2011
I was wondering whether anybody who has experience with the older Coach bags could offer any advice. I have a vintage Chelsea Hobo bag from 1998 - made in the U.S.A. I bought it off of eBay from a reputable seller about two years ago; however, I haven't worn it much until this summer. It is a dark grey color. Today, I was wearing it crossbody with a light colored shirt. When I got home, I noticed that there was a bit of color transfer in the spot where the strap was touching the top of my shirt. I had also spilled a few drops of water on there. Upon seeing this, I wiped the purse with a slightly damp cloth and I noticed that it's only the strap that's causing the problem. The more I did it, the better it got.

Is this normal? If I send the bag in for repair will they be able to perhaps set the color? I'm going to wipe the strap down again with a damp cloth tomorrow to see if there is any more color transfer. I'm thinking that perhaps the previous owner had applied some sort of polish that wasn't wiped down properly in the strap area. Any advice? Thank you in advance.

Hyacinth

Authenticator
O.G.
Aug 19, 2006
Chicago
I was wondering whether anybody who has experience with the older Coach bags could offer any advice. I have a vintage Chelsea Hobo bag from 1998 - made in the U.S.A. I bought it off of eBay from a reputable seller about two years ago; however, I haven't worn it much until this summer. It is a dark grey color. Today, I was wearing it crossbody with a light colored shirt. When I got home, I noticed that there was a bit of color transfer in the spot where the strap was touching the top of my shirt. I had also spilled a few drops of water on there. Upon seeing this, I wiped the purse with a slightly damp cloth and I noticed that it's only the strap that's causing the problem. The more I did it, the better it got.

Is this normal? If I send the bag in for repair will they be able to perhaps set the color? I'm going to wipe the strap down again with a damp cloth tomorrow to see if there is any more color transfer. I'm thinking that perhaps the previous owner had applied some sort of polish that wasn't wiped down properly in the strap area. Any advice? Thank you in advance.
Since the strap on the Chelseas are smooth leather you should be able to use any kind of good leather cleaner on it. I have no idea what the seller put on it but if you need to you could even give it a bath in a mild soap just like the way we "dunk" purses that need a bath. Whatever cleaner you try, try a bit of it on the bottom or other out of sight place on the bag in case the same chemical has been applied to the bag. The Rescue and Rehab Club thread at the Coach Clubhouse section has a ton of recommendations for cleaning and conditioning products. In a pinch you could even use saddle soap as long as it's a smooth leather.

Valeriee

Jul 6, 2011
Thank you for your reply, Hyacinth. The leather is quite smooth. I will try cleaning the strap with mild soap. If that doesn't help, I will try using a leather cleaner.