Strap on the Carly

LauraOTR

Nov 9, 2008
I just got a blue med. leather Carly from the outlets, and while I love the purse, I'm not digging the extra wide piece on the strap. I get that it's for 'comfort', but it makes it slide off my shoulder more easily.

Has anyone heard of taking that extra piece off the strap? It slides, but not easily over the rings, so I'm not sure if that's *supposed* to be an option, or if I'm going to ruin the purse if I try it. :confused1: Any thoughts?

That was the reason I got rid of mine!! Sliding off my shoulder drove me absolutely insane!! I wouldn't cut that piece off just in case later on down the road you need to sell it or something...no one would probably want it with that piece cut off. (to answer your question, its not supposed to come off unless you cut it off..)BUT....if you don't forsee ever getting rid of it, cut away. I just wouldn't want you to find out that it would still slide off your shoulder with that piece gone (if it does)....that would stink!! Good luck!:smile:

I like mine with the wide strap but I know this had been discussed on here before and someone on here did cut hers off. :wtf: Personally, I wouldn't, but if it is all that bothers you and you know you will not sell it in the future or anything then do what you like. GL, the Carly is a great bag! :tup:

Maybe it's just me, but my Carly slides when I have the dogleash clip to the front. Change the bag around to where that clip is behind my shoulder - all of a sudden, no problemo! Go figure.... You might try it - when you look at the strap, it's a little longer from the edge of center leather piece to the edge of the bag on the side with the dogleash clip. It's an inch or two shorter on the other side of the center piece, the side with the little extra leather section. Clear as mud??? :weird:

It makes me shudder to think about, but other members have done this. I think it worked for at least one person, but I could never do it, myself. I don't have slipping problems with very many bags, thankfully.

On the RM SF there was someone that had a cobbler make a special "grippy" thing for a slipping shoulder strap and it work, was removeable and didn't involve cutting anything. Relatively inexpensive from what I remember....I'll try and find the thread.

omg, i had the same problem, it's been bugging me for years, but i have never had enough courage to cut if off.. i asked the sa's numerious times if theres another way than cutting, but they said no. I m trying to figure out if i'd like it more with the cut off shoulder strap piece, but i m a bit scared that it won't change anything either... I'd love to see/hear from someone who already cut it off and is happy...

I don't seem to have this problem with mine. :shrugs:

I have noticed that the straps on the Carly do tend to take a little time to break in, but once broken in, that wide part of the strap totally molds to the shoulder.

yeah, my shoulder strap has worn in, but i hate how it feels when i m holding the bag in my hand. The strap is just too think to hold in one hand... I was already hoping coach would make more "rolled" straps on shoulder bags, maybe like the sabrina handles, even a tiny bit larger, that would be awesome! Does anybody have a picture of the bag with the handle-part cut?

I also find it way more comfy to wear it this way with the dogleash at the back. You should try this. It might make a huge difference.

But whoa...I would never recommend using scissors on a leather purse (and especially not a bag as expensive as that) - if the slippage is really a problem, you should return it...because what if you cut the strap and it ruins the bag? Then you can't return it, you'd have a hard time selling it, and you wouldn't be able to wear the bag. I just see too many potential disasters if you take matters into your own hands - literally.

Maybe it's just me, but my Carly slides when I have the dogleash clip to the front. Change the bag around to where that clip is behind my shoulder - all of a sudden, no problemo! Go figure.... You might try it - when you look at the strap, it's a little longer from the edge of center leather piece to the edge of the bag on the side with the dogleash clip. It's an inch or two shorter on the other side of the center piece, the side with the little extra leather section. Clear as mud??? :weird:

:s the thought of scissors near my carly = No:huh:o:huh:!

hehe but try like they suggested to wear dog leash on the back... then if you know for sure you're keeping it and it still bothers you, go for it!