Strange Buyer, Advice Needed!!

st.love

Aug 2, 2012
I have an interesting situation.

So I have a vintage LV bag listed with a starting price of $149.99 and a BIN option of $180.

A buyer messages me asking if I would take $170. I said sure, I will lower the BIN to $170. I lower the BIN, and she then messages me and asks if the bag is in great condition and if it comes with lock & keys (this bag style does not come with lock & keys). I responded to her and said no, please read the description this is a vintage bag in good "vintage" condition, and this style does not come with lock & keys. I then reminded her that I do not accept returns.

A few minutes later she places a bid on the item for $149.99. I thought it was strange that she didn't use the BIN, but didn't think much of it.

Then she messaged me and said "I'm sorry but my husband won't let me pay more than $140 for the bag, I can't buy it sorry!"

I said "Okay I understand but you have already placed a bid of at least $149.99 on the item, if the auction ends and no one else bids the item you are required to pay for it."

She then responded "Yes I wish I could get it at that price I really love it!"

So I said "If you can't pay for the item please try to retract your bid."

And finally she said "What do you mean retract??"

:confused1::wtf:

I am so confused. Can I block someone who has already bid on an item? What should I do in this situation??

I have an interesting situation.

So I have a vintage LV bag listed with a starting price of $149.99 and a BIN option of $180.

A buyer messages me asking if I would take $170. I said sure, I will lower the BIN to $170. I lower the BIN, and she then messages me and asks if the bag is in great condition and if it comes with lock & keys (this bag style does not come with lock & keys). I responded to her and said no, please read the description this is a vintage bag in good "vintage" condition, and this style does not come with lock & keys. I then reminded her that I do not accept returns.

A few minutes later she places a bid on the item for $149.99. I thought it was strange that she didn't use the BIN, but didn't think much of it.

Then she messaged me and said "I'm sorry but my husband won't let me pay more than $140 for the bag, I can't buy it sorry!"

I said "Okay I understand but you have already placed a bid of at least $149.99 on the item, if the auction ends and no one else bids the item you are required to pay for it."

She then responded "Yes I wish I could get it at that price I really love it!"

So I said "If you can't pay for the item please try to retract your bid."

And finally she said "What do you mean retract??"

:confused1::wtf:

I am so confused. Can I block someone who has already bid on an item? What should I do in this situation??

If you don't want this buyer to have your bag then cancel their bid and block them if they don't know how to retract. You might end up in a situation where this buyer wins and then doesn't pay. Equally, there might be no more bids and she might win and pay at the opening bid price! Depends what you're comfortable with.

If you don't want this buyer to have your bag then cancel their bid and block them if they don't know how to retract. You might end up in a situation where this buyer wins and then doesn't pay. Equally, there might be no more bids and she might win and pay at the opening bid price! Depends what you're comfortable with.

Agree.. and there is no guarantee that should there not be any
additional bids, that she is going to pay!!

If the buyer doesn't know how to retract her bid, you can explain
how she can do it .. if for some reason she doesn't do it, then
cancel their bid & block her...

Thank you I will explain to her how to retract her bid.

Just thought it was strange especially since she has 400+ transactions & 100% feedback and has been on e-bay since 2008! Maybe she is on her spouse's account, I don't know..

Thank you I will explain to her how to retract her bid.

Just thought it was strange especially since she has 400+ transactions & 100% feedback and has been on e-bay since 2008! Maybe she is on her spouse's account, I don't know..

You can also cancel her bid, if she doesn't know how to retract it. I had a bidder asking me that once, and I prefer that I cancel bids instead of the bidder retracting it and listing the reason for retraction that she couldn't contact the seller :sad:.

The number of feedback is irrelevant because she may never had to retract a bid.

Send her this link: http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/bid-retract.html

If she doesn't retract the bid herself, I'd cancel it and BBL her. This sounds like a problem buyer.

That is true but here's what she said:

"What do U mean retract I am new to bidding pls explain"

Just really unusual to me that someone with 400+ feedback would be new to bidding, she must be on someone else's account.

Anyhow, I sent her the link to the e-bay help guide, but now I'm thinking maybe I should just cancel the bid myself?