Stories to brighten our day - add your own

I have another of my own "good news" stories to contribute.

I'm so impressed with Pinterest and it's quick action on an infringement complaint. In less than 12 hours, the reported pin was removed! I've never seen any site that acts as quickly!

About a month ago, (July 8) I found sellers on Poshmark with pictures that were stolen from some of my listings. I filed takedown requests to PM and after several days and followups, the listings were removed. And on ebay, it too can take from 24 to 72 hours to get infringing listings removed through VeRO complaints.

Last night while looking for something on Pinterest, I found pins that showed my images, the same ones that were removed from Poshmark. Clicking on the pins redirected back to Poshmark showing that the listings were removed but since the pins remained on Pinterest, I reported. (I have no issue if someone finds one of my own listings and pins it to Pinterest. Then the link redirects back to where I'm selling it.) But when it sends a user to another site where someone uses stolen pictures and particularly one that I'm not a fan of, that's a problem.

Not only do they act quickly but their reporting form is among the easiest I've used.

I'm impressed. Kudos for Pinterest.

Bumping. I have a story. Last fall I sold something to a lady who wanted me to upgrade to priority w/ signature confirmation (listing was first class) after she purchased (and was willing to pay for it via PayPal) if I could. I immediately blocked her (knee-jerk reaction) and then told her I couldn't do that, but I was willing to add signature confirmation to first class for no extra charge. She said just to send it without confirmation, because she didn't want me to lose money. She left positive feedback when she got it.
Anyway, a few weeks ago she messaged me, and said she was disappointed that she was blocked and couldn't purchase from me (she tried to add something to her cart and eBay wouldn't let her). I unblocked her, apologized, and told her it was a knee-jerk reaction, and I forgot to un-block her (because ultimately it was a positive transaction). She then purchased that (expensive) item plus several others, and left really nice positive feedback :smile:

Bumping. I have a story. Last fall I sold something to a lady who wanted me to upgrade to priority w/ signature confirmation (listing was first class) after she purchased (and was willing to pay for it via PayPal) if I could. I immediately blocked her (knee-jerk reaction) and then told her I couldn't do that, but I was willing to add signature confirmation to first class for no extra charge. She said just to send it without confirmation, because she didn't want me to lose money. She left positive feedback when she got it.
Anyway, a few weeks ago she messaged me, and said she was disappointed that she was blocked and couldn't purchase from me (she tried to add something to her cart and eBay wouldn't let her). I unblocked her, apologized, and told her it was a knee-jerk reaction, and I forgot to un-block her (because ultimately it was a positive transaction). She then purchased that (expensive) item plus several others, and left really nice positive feedback :smile:
That’s great that you ended up with such a nice customer! I am very curious (as someone who buys and does not sell) why her original request was refused and she was blocked? This is something I would also request and be willing to pay for and I wouldn’t want to offend or be blocked over it. Is this a PIA request? A request that signals trouble?
Where I live in a major city, usps is completely untrustworthy in my area and only priority packages with signature manage to make it without getting stolen. Wouldn’t it be more protection for the seller as well if this request was made at the buyers expense? Please don’t be offended by my question, I really want to know.

Last fall I sold something to a lady who wanted me to upgrade to priority w/ signature confirmation (listing was first class) after she purchased (and was willing to pay for it via PayPal) if I could. I immediately blocked her (knee-jerk reaction) and then told her I couldn't do that, but I was willing to add signature confirmation to first class for no extra charge. She said just to send it without confirmation, because she didn't want me to lose money. She left positive feedback when she got it.
I am very curious (as someone who buys and does not sell) why her original request was refused and she was blocked? This is something I would also request and be willing to pay for and I wouldn’t want to offend or be blocked over it. Is this a PIA request? A request that signals trouble?
Where I live in a major city, usps is completely untrustworthy in my area and only priority packages with signature manage to make it without getting stolen. Wouldn’t it be more protection for the seller as well if this request was made at the buyers expense? Please don’t be offended by my question, I really want to know.
I'm not meepabeep but I can comment and would probably do the same thing.

If a buyer wants to make a special request that would require a change from what the listing says (especially when such a request would cost the seller more money to ship), such a request should be made before the purchase is made. This would allow the seller to revise the listing so the buyer could choose and pay for the more expensive shipping service.

By doing it after the fact, the buyer puts the seller in an uncomfortable position of either having to eat the additional shipping cost. Ebay doesn't allow the seller to charge more than the listing states even if the buyer requested it.

Reactions: chicinthecity777

If a buyer wants to make a special request that would require a change from what the listing says (especially when such a request would cost the seller more money to ship), such a request should be made before the purchase is made. This would allow the seller to revise the listing so the buyer could choose and pay for the more expensive shipping service.

By doing it after the fact, the buyer puts the seller in an uncomfortable position of either having to eat the additional shipping cost. Ebay doesn't allow the seller to charge more than the listing states even if the buyer requested it.

Noted, thank you for the explanation. But she did offer to pay via PayPal for the upgrade, is that not allowed? It seems so reasonable. My only hope is that lots of honest buyers like myself who are completely ignorant of these rules will not get blocked and miss the opportunity to work with honest sellers. I’m aware that one should ask questions regarding the item and do one’s due diligence regarding authenticity before purchasing, but it would have never occurred to me that requesting different shipping would be an issue if I was happy to pay for it. I genuinely learned something new today, thank you.

Noted, thank you for the explanation. But she did offer to pay via PayPal for the upgrade, is that not allowed? It seems so reasonable. My only hope is that lots of honest buyers like myself who are completely ignorant of these rules will not get blocked and miss the opportunity to work with honest sellers. I’m aware that one should ask questions regarding the item and do one’s due diligence regarding authenticity before purchasing, but it would have never occurred to me that requesting different shipping would be an issue if I was happy to pay for it. I genuinely learned something new today, thank you.

This is why when I sell expensive items on eBay, I include the price of signature confirmation in my costs and just ask the buyer if they would like it after they purchase. If they say yeah, I'm not losing money, if they say no, I just make a little more on that sale.

It's allowed but can't be charged after the fact. It would require the seller to revise the listing with the appropriate shipping cost and to refund the original payment. (Refunding the full payment would also cost the seller $.30 fee on Paypal, something the seller won't recoup.) And after refunding, revising the listing with the upgraded shipping and doing as the buyer requested, there's no guarantee that the buyer will follow through on the purchase.

The bottom line is that if the buyer is requesting changes from the seller's original listing and shipping service, it should be asked for BEFORE the purchase. By asking after puts the seller between a rock and a hard place.

Reactions: chicinthecity777
This is why when I sell expensive items on eBay, I include the price of signature confirmation in my costs and just ask the buyer if they would like it after they purchase. If they say yeah, I'm not losing money, if they say no, I just make a little more on that sale.
If the price of the item plus shipping requires s.c. and you don't do it (even if at the request of the buyer), you will lose seller protection.

If the price of the item plus shipping requires s.c. and you don't do it (even if at the request of the buyer), you will lose seller protection.
I never put in the listing that there's signature confirmation included so it's not technically required if I'm understanding correctly? After a purchase and if the item is over $75 USD I just contact the buyer and say, "Hey would you like signature confirmation at no additional cost to you?" Most say yeah, but some say no.

It's allowed but can't be charged after the fact. It would require the seller to revise the listing with the appropriate shipping cost and to refund the original payment. (Refunding the full payment would also cost the seller $.30 fee on Paypal, something the seller won't recoup.) And after refunding, revising the listing with the upgraded shipping and doing as the buyer requested, there's no guarantee that the buyer will follow through on the purchase.

The bottom line is that if the buyer is requesting changes from the seller's original listing and shipping service, it should be asked for BEFORE the purchase. By asking after puts the seller between a rock and a hard place.

Exactly.

That’s great that you ended up with such a nice customer! I am very curious (as someone who buys and does not sell) why her original request was refused and she was blocked? This is something I would also request and be willing to pay for and I wouldn’t want to offend or be blocked over it. Is this a PIA request? A request that signals trouble?

I'm not offended at all. BB's answers explain it perfectly. I couldn't have said it better myself.

I never put in the listing that there's signature confirmation included so it's not technically required if I'm understanding correctly? After a purchase and if the item is over $75 USD I just contact the buyer and say, "Hey would you like signature confirmation at no additional cost to you?" Most say yeah, but some say no.
As far as I know it's only required by ebay for items over $750.

You can run the risk of the carrier neglecting to get the signature but still delivering the package. If that happens, tracking will never show it as delivered and the buyer can claim non-receipt.

Reactions: BeenBurned
You can run the risk of the carrier neglecting to get the signature but still delivering the package. If that happens, tracking will never show it as delivered and the buyer can claim non-receipt.
Really? I've never had that happen before. Even with items that had signature confirmation, they'll end up showing DELIVERED even though me or no one in my family signed for it... now I'm wondering, does the post office forge signatures?

I know I'm not technically required to ask about signature confirmation at all, but being an under 20 college student in which most of my profit goes to book money, I like to use signature confirmation as a way to "protect myself," if you will. Maybe I'll change and just get items insured from now on.

now I'm wondering, does the post office forge signatures?
Yes, it happens.
I know I'm not technically required to ask about signature confirmation at all, but being an under 20 college student in which most of my profit goes to book money, I like to use signature confirmation as a way to "protect myself," if you will. Maybe I'll change and just get items insured from now on.
Signature doesn't protect you when it's not needed. As long as tracking shows delivery, you are protected even if a buyer claims non-receipt. And even if it did go to the wrong address.

As @whateve pointed out, if the item isn't signed for, there'll be no tracking showing delivery, so not only are you unnecessarily spending an extra $3-ish for each item but it's NOT protecting you.

Reactions: whateve