Storage solution and suggestions?

lacey_stiletto

Handbags Happen
Dec 21, 2010
So excited - I get to set up my "nest" - I have now have an extra bedroom I can convert to walk-in closet/office/vanity area!

I just picked this up from Ikea - http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/20161657/ - it's going to be my desk/vanity and those cubbies are going to be 75% bag storage! (Maybe 100% but I think I'm going to need a few of them for excess cosmetic storage.)

Suggestions for hanging scarves - I would like them out where I can see them but do not want to put any screws or nails in walls.

Also - while I would LOVE to keep my bags out of their dustbags so I can revel in all their glory a lot - I don't think that's wise. Any ideas for labeling the dustbags or cubbies so I can easily locate a bag?

I have a corkboard just waiting for me to decorate it for my fobs! And I am sure I can keep all my wallets and wristlets in pretty boxes on top of the shelving too.

I'm so excited! I can't wait to get the man crap moved out of that bedroom so I can NEST!

This is going to be a wonderful room! I wish you could keep some of the bags out, too, so you could see how beautiful they are ... but I guess fading might be an issue! It's going to be so lovely when you are all organized!

You could make little "faux polaroids" of each bag and pin it to the dustbag ... that might look cool if all of the photos were the same style and add a bit of color. Just a thought!

My bags are on display in my walk in. There's no light from windows and they're all protected on their shelves. But I can open the double door and bask in the beauty that is my coach collection. I love it! I actually use bookshelves with adjustable heights.

I am so jealous. When we built our house we put our master bedroom on the first floor. My DD has moved on but her room is on the 2nd. floor, not a place I can set up my own nest. Unless i piss my DH off and he moves upstairs, hmmmmmmmmm it may be worth it! He can convert upstairs to a man cave with my sons.

You could organize your cubbies by color. I am thinking about doing this. I have a bookshelf with baskets. The purses tend to slide around when they are in their dustbags and the baskets help keep them in their place, but it is still hard to find what I am looking for. Currently I have it organized by style but I still have to look through a bunch to find what I want. Now I am thinking that color might be a better method. I have been too lazy to do the photo thing.

I have this exact same desk. Ikea sells drawers and doors for the cubbies. You could take pics or make a list of whats in the cubbie and attach it to the inside of the door. You could also lay your scarves in the drawers. I think this is a great piece of furniture to store bags in! I've had the same idea myself but mine is filled with home office stuff. Maybe I should get another for my bags :smile:. Excited for you!

I would keep the purses in their dust bags to keep them clean and to minimize fading. Then, I would arrange them either by row or column so that similar colors were together.

Now, do you have any of those lanyard ID cases you don't know what to do with because you only bought them because they were so cute? For some of the bags I have at the top of my closet, I put a picture of the bag in the case and hang the strap from the area where the pull strings are on the dustbag. This way I don't have to pull down all the bags to see what's in the case.

Of course, if you're not as OCD about collecting these as I've been, you can do a variation of putting photos on the bags as mentioned by happibug. I'd laminate the photos and punch a hole in them, then connect to the drawstrings of the dustbags.

As far as the scarves, I don't like mine out because of potential fading/dust issues. I hang mine on one of those fat-tubed hangers I received from the cleaners when I had some curtains cleaned. They're wider than a regular hanger and the tube is bigger so that the scarves don't end up with a crease. Then I put the cleaner plastic bag over them so that I can see what's inside.

Good luck, your new room sounds like a lot of fun!

Last edited:
If you have a lot of bags, you can pull out a few at a time for immediate rotation. Leave them in their dustbag with just the handles or a corner hanging out. (That's what I do!)

For scarves, if you have (or have room for) a garment hanger, I really like huggable hangers for hanging and displaying my scarves. The velvety texture keeps the scarves from sliding off and the thin profile is excellent for saving space. For the scarves I don't have out, I store in one of these drawer organizers: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/closet/drawerOrganizers?productId=10029663

Hopefully that gives you some more ideas :smile:

You could make little "faux polaroids" of each bag and pin it to the dustbag ... that might look cool if all of the photos were the same style and add a bit of color. Just a thought!

Hmmmmm well I guess I can put my expertise to work on that lil project! That would be really cute... wonder if I would have issues if I used say those pearl-tipped corsage pins to pin the image to the dustbag?,,,,hhhmmmmmm

Any room in another country would work for me! Sounds lovely!

Thanks... it's been an experience, that's for sure.

My bags are on display in my walk in. There's no light from windows and they're all protected on their shelves. But I can open the double door and bask in the beauty that is my coach collection. I love it! I actually use bookshelves with adjustable heights.

There's a lot of natural light in the room, which is why I want my vanity in there, but that's not so good for all my bags, so they will have to stay in their little cocoons most of the time. I think I might use a stand to display a couple on a rotating basis, though.

:graucho::graucho::graucho:

I am so jealous. When we built our house we put our master bedroom on the first floor. My DD has moved on but her room is on the 2nd. floor, not a place I can set up my own nest. Unless i piss my DH off and he moves upstairs, hmmmmmmmmm it may be worth it! He can convert upstairs to a man cave with my sons.

This house already IS a man cave, which is why I need a nest before I go mad. I may put a tv and comfy chair in there too and never come out!

You could organize your cubbies by color. I am thinking about doing this. I have a bookshelf with baskets. The purses tend to slide around when they are in their dustbags and the baskets help keep them in their place, but it is still hard to find what I am looking for. Currently I have it organized by style but I still have to look through a bunch to find what I want. Now I am thinking that color might be a better method. I have been too lazy to do the photo thing.

I think tagging the bags but organizing by color would be ideal I label my makeup jars and organize by color already hehehehehehehe....

I have this exact same desk. Ikea sells drawers and doors for the cubbies. You could take pics or make a list of whats in the cubbie and attach it to the inside of the door. You could also lay your scarves in the drawers. I think this is a great piece of furniture to store bags in! I've had the same idea myself but mine is filled with home office stuff. Maybe I should get another for my bags :smile:. Excited for you!

I like it because the desk is a little bit higher than standard, which is great since I am 6 foot and desks are often too low. And I saw that shelving unit with it, my heart skipped a beat. I've been measuring and making room layouts all morning!