Storage Dilema....

lolakitten

O.G.
Mar 11, 2007
I hope this is the right plase to post! Mods, feel free to move appropriatly..

I have a serious storage dillema for my clothing in my home. I don't have alot compared to many fashionable girls here, but although my home is perfect for my family - my closet is TINY! have taken over the master bedroom closet (DH uses his office closet & DD has on in her room), however it's your standard double folding door 610 deep closet. It's very dark & the space is poorly used. I would consider doing a type of California Closets reno but I almost feel like it would be wasted since it is too small.
I work in construction industry, so naturally my fist idea was knock out walls & make it bigger, but it backs onto DH's office which he needs every inch of. It is next to out unusually LARGe & DEEP linen closet which I use half of too keep my handbags. I'm tempted to merge the two & make my closet deeper, but then we wont have a linen closet.

Anyway (if you have read this far - thank you! :flowers:) I would love any ideas you might have!

I have no solution for you but had to respond because I have the same problem and it is so darn frustrating :sad:. Our bedroom is fairly large but the closets are poorly built and are largely dead, wasted space. We have three double door reach-in closets and my fiance is using two of these. Now that I am moving to Boston I need more space!!! There is a large free wall in the room and I was considering purchasing a huge armoire but would prefer to have a wardrobe custom made for the space. Perhaps you can do something similar.

You can opt for a less expensive closet-shelf reorganization version from the The Container Store. Also, how much free floor space do you have in your bedroom?

BTW - I love that you took over the master bedroom closet and kicked you DH's clothes to the office closet. I did the same thing with my bf in our last apt. His clothes were relegated to the 2nd Bedroom's closet. (But I didn't really have a good excuse b/c the master bedroom had a nice walk-in Calfornia Closet. I just have a lot of clothes.)

Do you have any pictures of your current closet? I think it would be easier to suggest ideas if we can see what we're working with. :smile:

I had Closets by Design come out and evaluate my odd shaped side room to see if they could make it into a closet. I thought it wouldn't work until they showed me their design sketch....and amazingly they were able to create a design that gave me everything I wanted. I still was skeptical until it was all done....and it was perfect! Those closet companies do consultations for free; doesn't hurt for them to come out and give you their thoughts. Even if you feel at the end that it's not worth it, you can use some of their ideas and see if you can recreate it through closet organizers at the Container Store or Lowes or Home Depot.

if you have extra space in your bedroom itself, why not add an armoire or wardrobe? also, if you've got space in other areas of the house, it may make sense to migrate some items out of the bedroom altogether - my handbags live in a large cabinet in the living room, while my shoe storage boxes are masquerading as a console table behind the couch! (^(oo)~)

what are the configurations of your regular closet and your linen closet? do you mainly find yourself short of space for hanging or folded clothing?

I've added a lot of space to my closet by hanging sweater boxes for sweaters, PJs, tees, and denim (practically all of bf's clothes except for button-ups and dress/work pants go in one of these too). Also, I noticed that the floor of my closet was not being used efficiently, so I bought a bookcase divided into cubes/cubbies and use that to store my bags under my hanging clothes (lying horizontal), but it can be used as shelving for anything! These are the quick, cheap, and non-commital ways I use to squeeze efficiency and space out of my closets.

Creativity in clothes storage is so important for those of us with limited space!

I'm in the middle of a similar dilemma - I have too much drawer space, not enough full length hanging space for dresses. I am trying to get a rack for coats and trenches that can live out in the foyer that should free up some room.

Having a rotational system where you transition clothes according to season and put off-season clothes into attic/deep storage may be a possible solution for you. I like to keep winter stuff in a large chest during spring/summer.

I've added a lot of space to my closet by hanging sweater boxes for sweaters, PJs, tees, and denim (practically all of bf's clothes except for button-ups and dress/work pants go in one of these too). Also, I noticed that the floor of my closet was not being used efficiently, so I bought a bookcase divided into cubes/cubbies and use that to store my bags under my hanging clothes (lying horizontal), but it can be used as shelving for anything! These are the quick, cheap, and non-commital ways I use to squeeze efficiency and space out of my closets.

i totally agree with the need to make proper use of closet floor space - my apartment only has the 2 bedroom closets - no linen closet, no hall closet, no pantry . . . . so i've made use of all vertical closet space . . . as well as some . . . . other spaces

half of one bedroom closet, linen shelves mostly converted to drawer space and wire freestanding drawer set under hanging clothes (both container store):
attachment.php

other half (yes, that's my vacuum cleaner . . . like i said, no other closets!):
attachment.php

shoes, masquerading as console / sofa table in living room (container store):
attachment.php

surprise! (^(oo)^)v
attachment.php

my handbags live in a large chest (neiman marcus) in the living room, and my empty shoe boxes are in the upper kitchen cabinets - undercounter cabinets currently occupied by books! (^(oo)^)

Attachments

• closet 02.jpg
    closet 02.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 234
  • closet 01.jpg
    closet 01.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 218
  • shoes01.jpg
    shoes01.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 200
  • shoes02.jpg
    shoes02.jpg