Stinky Cat

Dec 2, 2005
I :heart: my little kitty, but lately she sometimes has a strange odor, especially on her feet. :yucky:

I don't know what is causing this... Does anyone else have a stinky cat?

To be honest, I often don't notice the smell, but my family members do and have complained to me. :rolleyes: She is the first full-on furry pet I have ever owned (had some fish that died, and a canary that had a heart attack), so I don't know if cats need to be washed or wiped down regularly. I noticed that Petsmart and some other places carry "cat bath" wipes. Should I be using these?

My cat is sometimes smelly! He always cleans himself after using the litterbox, but for some reason, sometimes he'll still smell. We have a "shampoo" that we spray onto a cloth that we'll wipe him down with. He used to hate it, but now he'll tolerate it if we hold him. I prefer the spray to wipes cause the wipes always dry out before we finish them.

If the smell is coming from her feet, it might be residue from the litter box. What kind of litter are you using, the clumping kind or clay? I find that clay tends to smell because you're not scooping everything away. But yes, you can try using wipes on her feet and body. It'll get rid of the odour and dirt and dander as well! :yes:

Your little stinker is so cute!!!

I think the smell could be from the litter box... you could always get cat bath wipes from the pet store to wipe her little paws

She's cute! I've never noticed that problem with my cats, but like the others have said she may just need to have her paws wiped down after using her litter box.

Is there anyway you can describe the smell? It could be from the food you are feeding her or if you are giving her any kind of supplements. Sometimes, certain foods get into their skin and coat and can make the cat stinky. Generally, you don't need to use products like the wipes because cats are meticulous about their cleanliness.

One of our cats smells dreadful after eating a certain brand of dry food. The other cats tolerate it just fine, but it obviously disagrees with him to make him smell like that. Unfortunately he loves it and I have quite a time of it keeping him away from it.

I'm just wondering about the safety of the spray shampoo and wipes mentioned above - if there are any chemicals in those products, the cat is going to ingest them when it grooms itself ... which couldn't be good for the cat.

^ Lol! Love that song...

Thank you everyone for your very useful advice, I think you are right and it is probably the litter. I recently switched to a natural wheat litter called "Swheat Scoop" for Muffin in an effort to be more environmentally friendly. I think she doesn't like it as much, so maybe she is not covering her litter well? I guess I must change her litter more often now...

I just bought some of the wipes, she yowled while I wiped her paws and immediately started cleaning them afterwards, but the smell is gone! :wlae: