Stiff scarf.....?

Have a heart, Hermesgroupie.... I have it all planned out: Shopmom is merely the diversion here. My best method of getting an H bag is getting Claude out here, especially considering the proximity of an interesting variety of wildlife. Yes, I'll have a special order custom made
elephant skin birkin by Claude himself (omg what a horrible thought; mind you, I'd be able to get a matching set of luggage out of one hide alone...)

lolo said:
Have a heart, Hermesgroupie.... I have it all planned out: Shopmom is merely the diversion here. My best method of getting an H bag is getting Claude out here, especially considering the proximity of an interesting variety of wildlife. Yes, I'll have a special order custom made
elephant skin birkin by Claude himself (omg what a horrible thought; mind you, I'd be able to get a matching set of luggage out of one hide alone...)
Oh, no! I just got a visual of a Birkin with tusks sticking out!

I'll tell you something even MORE horrible if you like: ponyskin!!! I have noticed other bags (not H, of course) advertised as "ponyskin". Every tme I see it I hope that it is a euphemism for some kind of plastic (yes, for once i would approve of plastic) because the alternative is too horrible to contemplate. Surely no one really makes ponies into bags? Tell me it ain't so!

OMG.....I go off for a little dinner and look what happens. I come back and I'm on a Safari with all my bags (forget about DH), some wildlife and Claude!

So....if I soak that scarf in cold water then what? Hang it to dry? Put it in the dryer? Use a hair dryer on low?

Honestly....I've never felt such a stiff one before....

DON'T PUT IT IN THE DRYER!!!!!!!

OK, soak it in cool water, you may need a LITTLE ivory soap (or something very mild)......then place it betweek two white towels and roll it up (to absorb excess moisture) then lay flat to dry?

K.....I'm going to try this in the AM and see what happens. Soak in cold water with soap, press excess water out and lay flat to dry. Good God what we go through for a silk scarf.

But I found out today that what I thought was a current issue is really vintage so I'm happy! LOVE those vintage scarves!!!!!

Boy K....if I lived near you I'd be over your house all the time smooshing that kid! What a peanut!!!!!

Pavement was reissued in I believe 2001 (need to check). Maybe earlier, but it was definitely reissued.

To make it softer, just put it into cold water (for safety's sake put one of those little towels in that soak up excess colour), with some woolite. Wash it swiftly. Rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse and if you think you're done rinsing, rinse again. Roll up in a big terry cloth towel, make sure that the scarf doesn't touch itself (can't explain it better). Lay over a towel on a rack to dry. Iron.

Well I'm a little late to the parade...but how weird???!!! Anyway, I would also think a gentle handwashing would help the stiffness...good luck and let us all know how it turns out! So which bag on safari??!!!

hello2703 said:
Pavement was reissued in I believe 2001 (need to check). Maybe earlier, but it was definitely reissued.

To make it softer, just put it into cold water (for safety's sake put one of those little towels in that soak up excess colour), with some woolite. Wash it swiftly. Rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse and if you think you're done rinsing, rinse again. Roll up in a big terry cloth towel, make sure that the scarf doesn't touch itself (can't explain it better). Lay over a towel on a rack to dry. Iron.
If Pavement was reissued then the scarf Shopmom has could be a reissue that fell into that period when Hermes changed the sizing of the scarves. Between 1997-2001, the sizing used made the scarves stiffer. I have a scarf from this period and it always unknots for this reason. I still love it though.

Hi HG and others,

I just checked, it was reissued in 2003. For the 2003 version I found 2 different versions of where the copyright C is placed. For the 1970's version I believe there is no C. Pictures are courtesy of designersilkscarf.com.

Attachments

• Pavement 2003 Maurice Tranchant Hermes Paris.jpg
    Pavement 2003 Maurice Tranchant Hermes Paris.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Pavement 2003 Maurice Tranchant blue Hermes Paris.jpg
    Pavement 2003 Maurice Tranchant blue Hermes Paris.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 68