STIFF scarf

Loony

Purple Love
O.G.
Oct 25, 2006
I received a grail in the post today and it's stiffer than a stiff thing and I'm not quite sure what to do about it :lol: It came from from a reputable seller so I have no reason to doubt authenticity but I've never encountered a scarf this rigid. Any ideas on how to deal with it? Anything I can do to help loosen it up somewhat? Will simply washing it help? :confused1:

Loony, there was a several year period, and I can't remember the exact years (late 90s/early 00s?) when they used more or different sizing. The scarves from that period are much stiffer. I personally love it, but lots more people hate it.

Soaking them gets rid of the sizing. Dry cleaning won't help so much, but you can soak the stiffness out very easily, if you're not intimidated by washing your scarves. Shopmom did have a thread about this over a year ago, I think. She hated the scarf stiffies.

i've had a few stiff ones and i've twisted them into a long length of fabric and then made a rose type looking knot and left them for a while, and then twisted them the other way and done the same thing. after that and washing it tends to relax a fair bit.

Thank you guys!

gga, what you say makes sense, this scarf is from 96 and I also have a scarf from 99, I think, which is also pretty stiff. I'll admit, I'm not a huge fan of the positively starched feel because I prefer my scarves to have a bit of a drape.

I'm not scared of washing them so I'll try giving it a bath. If that doesn't work I might have to frame it or something.

I'm seriously cracking up at "scarf stiffies" though :roflmfao: Cold bath as a relief for a bad case of stiffies, eh? :shame::lol:

Just noticed annanas's post. I'm gonna give the twisting a go now and then wash it.

Hi Loony! Love the Helmut Newton pic, BTW

I have had great luck with washing mine in cold water and about a teaspoon of Dreft, swish it around gently and laying it on towel and then ironing while its damp-they turn out sheeny and soft and smell wonderful.:flowers:

Now I've never tried this, but someone mentioned putting the scarf between the mattress and box spring for a couple of days. I would think a wash would be good - some years H used a ton of sizing on the scarves! Glad you found a grail!

Well, I'm all for a stiffy but not in my scarves! LMAO!!!

I'm with you, LOONY on the scarves that can stand by themselves.....I just run a lukewarm bath with a little gentle liquid soap and give them a nice soak. Roll in a soft towel to get the excess water out and then dry them flat. Take a nice, hot iron to them once their almost dry and most of the stiffness will be gone.

I just got a Reve d'Australia jacquard that's stiffer than a pole and gave it a good soak and most of the sizing came out but it's still stiffer than I like...I like em soft and drapey......ah well.

:roflmfao: Oh, S'Mom! Leave it to you to have me fallin' out of my chair thinking of "stiffies"! What do I say to DH when he wakes up and finds me laughing on the floor (I can't get back up with this crap knee, ya know!). Love it!

And I want to know what Grail Loony got, too!