Stiff preowned scarf

Birdonce

Jul 28, 2014
Couldn't find a recent thread on the subject - I just bought a preowned scarf from one of the major reseller sites and when I got it, it felt very stiff and not soft at all. I honestly questioned the authenticity until I compared other characteristics like the hem stitching, etc, to my other scarves and it was the same. I don't know of it was previously starched or if it was improperly washed/damaged or what. I really like the pattern and hadn't seen it elsewhere in the color way I found (Sous Le Cedre, vibrant multicolor) so I'm not eager to return it if I can make it feel like my other supple scarves. Any thoughts? I've contacted customer service (though it was a final sale) but if I can wash it and make it silky again, I'd rather do that.

Couldn't find a recent thread on the subject - I just bought a preowned scarf from one of the major reseller sites and when I got it, it felt very stiff and not soft at all. I honestly questioned the authenticity until I compared other characteristics like the hem stitching, etc, to my other scarves and it was the same. I don't know of it was previously starched or if it was improperly washed/damaged or what. I really like the pattern and hadn't seen it elsewhere in the color way I found (Sous Le Cedre, vibrant multicolor) so I'm not eager to return it if I can make it feel like my other supple scarves. Any thoughts? I've contacted customer service (though it was a final sale) but if I can wash it and make it silky again, I'd rather do that.

Yes, it's common. I have scarves that are stiff like that, and they are authentic Hermes. Most of these are vintage. One I can't even fold it without being too bulky (vintage Cuirs du Desert). The newest one with this characteristic is my turquoise Pique Fleuri de Provence.

It's normal for some older scarves to be very stiff. I can actually make my Azulejos stand straight up on my neck if I want to, lol. On a bright side, it could be waterproof that way. Don't worry, give it a rinse in cold water and it should be soft enough for use.
Stiff feel is not actually a sign of fakes, it's actually the un-supple feel of silk that signals that.

LOL. Okay, decided to keep it. Also retailer did not respond to my email (grumpy)
Excuse the terrible picture - I have no good spots for selfies so taking this at work. Using my new MaiTai scarf ring too

Attachments

• photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 245
LOL. Okay, decided to keep it. Also retailer did not respond to my email (grumpy)
Excuse the terrible picture - I have no good spots for selfies so taking this at work. Using my new MaiTai scarf ring too

Thanks for sharing, this looks great on you, birdonce! Very chic ensemble! :smile:

I've also experienced stiff scarves, both newer and older. I do think it's just due to the amount of starch applied to the fabric. I prefer my scarves to have more drape, and I've found a quick hand wash, once or twice, is usually is enough soften them.