Sticky inking?

Cornflower Blue

O.G.
Feb 27, 2008
This morning I thought I'd take my Kenyan Oak Jayde out for a spin but when taking her out of her dustbag I was immediately met with resistance.

A small amount of inking from her strap was stuck to the inside of the dustbag. The loss wasn't terribly noticable on Jayde herself, but I became a little bit concerned. I checked all the inking out and it didn't feel particularly sticky to me, flexible yes but not sticky. She had been stored in the bottom of my wardrobe, and I'm in NI where we have occasional bouts of heat but it's not really the norm, so I'm at a bit of a loss really as to why it should have happened.:shrugs:

Has anybody else had this sort of thing happen and if so, what's the general consensus on it all?

Snowshoe

Sexy Lexy .
Sep 30, 2008
Windsor Berkshire
my oak bays felt slighty sticky when we had heatwave in june. i asked the sa @ sheton and she said if u wear hand cream this can make this happen.

Jenova

Jul 15, 2007
UK
The inking on the handles of my Black Bayswater went really soft and sticky last summer and stuck to the wall of my study / the dustbag / literally everything they met. The stickiness didn't completely go away in cool weather. I think it is rubber degradation or something and once it starts it keeps on going.

You can send the bag to Mulberry to be reinked for a relatively low fee - £16???? + shipping costs. I just stripped lots of my really thick inking off using a sharp kitchen knife and nail varnish remover. It seems to be stable now and the handles don't look or feel very different. I will send it to the bodyshop for a 'respray' later if the problem reoccurs.

Several other people have mentioned this and I think one of them was either Mulberrymania or Jazzyjay with an Emmy that got hot in a car. Someone on either the Bal or Chloe Forum had a dire sticky Mulberry bag (which stuck itself to neighbouring bags) too.

I don't believe that hand creme theory because my stickiness occured where nothing touched the bag. I think it is age and/or heat related.

Last edited:

flyvetjo

Jo
O.G.
Jan 24, 2007
UK
The inking on the handles of my preloved choco phoebe did the same thing. I sent it off to SM and got them re-inked for £15

Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam
Some one once gave me the tip to put some talcum powder on the sticky inking.
But I was so fortunate never to have that problem, so I did not try it and am not sure if it works. Maybe you could try it on a small part?? If you do, please let us know your findings!

Cornflower Blue

O.G.
Feb 27, 2008
Thank you ladies:smile:. It sounds as if it might be a combo of heat plus age, and never underestimate the power of handcream:biggrin:! (I say this because that reminds me of the wear problem with BE pewter, caused it would seem by sweat and sun lotion).

Hmmm:thinking:I shall be keeping a close eye on it, and might even try the possible talc solution:nuts:! As I say, it's not very much at the minute but I'd be well chipped off if it started sticking to what I was wearing...:sweatdrop:!

And it's good to know that it can be re-inked if needbe.