Sticky handles

There are different threads for sticky handles in the various sub forums.

I was thinking if you could post all the methods that work in one place it would be helpful to other forum members.

The problem I have is where the sealant around the handles has gone and left a sticky residue which leaves marks on anything it touches.

So far I have cleaned the handles and used a baby wipe. What else can I do?

I am so glad to find this post because one of my bags has sticky handles and did not know why or what todo about it. Thanks for the indiaink. I will invest in this because it's annoying to carry the bag with sticky handles. :smile:

Thank you. Have you had success with this? I was quoted anywhere from £50 plus for resealant. If this couldn't be done £120 for new handles.

Would you recommend the brown for dark brown leather or the black?
Yes.

If you'll look at brand new leather bags the next time you are out and about, look at the edge coating, and see what seems to be the most common color, and go with that for your bag.

Hopefully Tandy ships to your country, I never thought about that - is there a leather company there that makes products for leatherworkers and crafts-people?

Yes.

If you'll look at brand new leather bags the next time you are out and about, look at the edge coating, and see what seems to be the most common color, and go with that for your bag.

Hopefully Tandy ships to your country, I never thought about that - is there a leather company there that makes products for leatherworkers and crafts-people?

Hi,

Managed to find a stockist in the UK on eBay and it came with a free applicator. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again. I may have saved myself £120.

So this is not clear. I'm not sure this will work for me because my bag is yellow.
Yellow leather bags usually have brown EdgeKote ... There is not a clear one (not a true edge coating for leather seam sealing, anyway). Perhaps the 'neutral' one will work for you, as b and b has suggested...?

You two are very welcome. This is a great opportunity to take 'before' and 'after' photos... :biggrin:

Do you remove the stickiness before applying or do I just apply it straight away to the edging?

I am so pleased I asked this in the general section as I was at a lost cause especially when it was a gift and couldn't enjoy it properly.

Will let you know when the edge kote arrives and will include before and after pictures. On closer inspection of the bag you can see where some of the original sealant had been and where it has disappeared.

Thanks again indiaink!!