Stick with CFs or consider seasonal flaps now

vilette21c

O.G.
Jun 23, 2008
Been looking at previous threads before and it's been a while since it's been discussed so here it goes.

I've heard there's a looming price increase this end of May and I've been thinking if I should still stick to buying a CF. These drastic price increases seem to affect the core bags (CF, boy, gabrielle, 19, coco) the most and I find myself looking at seasonal flaps. For one, I am intrigued with Fashion Therapy because it seems like a cross between the CF and the 19. How do seasonal flaps fair now in the resale market? There was a time their resale was horrendous but am wondering now. I just don't think I can keep up with the price increases considering the quality (at least I've noticed) has gone down.

With seasonal bags over time, they don't hold their value. Maybe if you buy and sell within a short amount of time. I typically get about 50% back on past seasonal flaps (many years later.) Maybe I hold on to them too long; however, I don't usually buy my bags with the intent to resell them. I've only sold a few because it had been 8-10 years and I never used and wanted to make room in the closet for something new.

My advise would be to get your classic flap now, if you know ultimately that's what you want. Take the money you would spend on seasonal and get your HG bag.

I recently sold my coco handle after 2 years and I got the same €€ then what I bought her for two years ago. I also sold my Deauville after 8 months, never used and got the same €€ as where I bought if for as well. But I don’t think the coco handle is a seasonal bag, it’s becoming a classic more and more imho.

The reason the price increases affect the classics is because classics hold value. Seasonal bags do not hold value over time and the losses can be really substantial. This past year the seasonal bags did better on resale value since people were shopping at home instead of travelling, and seasonal bags can also resell well if you turn them around before people forget they exist. But you're always better off with a classic.

Agree with tlilrascal. I took a hit on my seasonal bag, INTM tote, CC tote and another Chanel bag with the handle that came out about 4 years ago. I held on to them too long perhaps. Factually, I took the biggest resell hit on my Chanel bags. I didn't buy with the intent of selling them. If you want a classic, and know of a possible price increase, get it soon. I want another mini-rec before any more price increases!

Reactions: vilette21c
Such a good thread @vilette21c , my thoughts exact!
since yesterday i got this bad itch to buy something as well and am deliberating between classic flap or seasonal bag. But i think my heart wants a classic flap only!
I have made several mistakes in the past buying a seasonal trendy bag and got bored and sold them for a huge loss!
Chanel deauville is now part of permanent collection and will get by hit price increase every time there is one.
Coco handle is really popular but i think with another increase, price will be too high to justify !

The classic flap am after gets released only in 21B so i got to wait and accept that there will be an increase!

Last edited:
Such a good thread @vilette21c , my thoughts exact!
since yesterday i got this bad itch to buy something as well and am deliberating between classic flap or seasonal bag. But i think my heart wants a classic flap only!
I have made several mistakes in the past buying a seasonal trendy bag and got bored and sold them for a huge loss!
Chanel deauville is now part of permanent collection and will get by hit price increase every time there is one.
Coco handle is really popular but i think with another increase, price will be too high to justify !

The classic flap am after gets released only in 21B so i got to wait and accept that there will be an increase!

I sometimes wonder: People buy these core bags especially the CFs because they think the bags will retain their value but what if it comes to a point when the price is too high that people opt to buy from the store instead? Wouldn't this result to a lower resale value, less demand? I, for one, will never consider buying an Hermes B or K in the resale market. For something that expensive, I would rather get them from the store and not have to worry about authenticity. This makes the seasonal flaps more attractive now because 1) since they're priced lower, they'll be easier to resell (and make small profit) and 2) they aren't a lot of replicas vs fake CFs.

Also, I've noticed that the resale market is so saturated with Chanel bags. Wouldn't this affect the resale value of these bags in the future?

Reactions: platanoparty
Been looking at previous threads before and it's been a while since it's been discussed so here it goes.

I've heard there's a looming price increase this end of May and I've been thinking if I should still stick to buying a CF. These drastic price increases seem to affect the core bags (CF, boy, gabrielle, 19, coco) the most and I find myself looking at seasonal flaps. For one, I am intrigued with Fashion Therapy because it seems like a cross between the CF and the 19. How do seasonal flaps fair now in the resale market? There was a time their resale was horrendous but am wondering now. I just don't think I can keep up with the price increases considering the quality (at least I've noticed) has gone down.

I don't think it ever hurts to consider a bag/style/brand/color. Considering doesn't equal buying, after all. Never know if you might find a treasure. And if you don't, and least you you know you aren't missing anything. I think it's also good for practicing keeping an open mind.

I hope I don‘t hurt anybodys feelings but seeing the seasonal, at least the ones that were supposed to be a substitute to the classic bag, they mostly looked less well made to me. And I’m not talking about the interior. Talking about unnecessary details that made the bag look off as opposed to more distinguishable. This would be for example a shoulder-leather part on the straps, Added stitching and lines, weird colors of the hardware, bag looking „very light“ but not in the good way. I just don’t think Chanel honors the seasonals enough. IMO there would be much more room for creativity. Instead they give me the impression of: ok, now to the cheaper category, let’s just mix and match anything that will change the look of the classic. However I have noticed that more recently, in earlier collections they were quite some seasonals which I really liked. Maybe it’s because their price gaps weren’t that large and Chanel didn’t differentiate so much in the craftsmanship compared to now.

I hope I don‘t hurt anybodys feelings but seeing the seasonal, at least the ones that were supposed to be a substitute to the classic bag, they mostly looked less well made to me. And I’m not talking about the interior. Talking about unnecessary details that made the bag look off as opposed to more distinguishable. This would be for example a shoulder-leather part on the straps, Added stitching and lines, weird colors of the hardware, bag looking „very light“ but not in the good way. I just don’t think Chanel honors the seasonals enough. IMO there would be much more room for creativity. Instead they give me the impression of: ok, now to the cheaper category, let’s just mix and match anything that will change the look of the classic. However I have noticed that more recently, in earlier collections they were quite some seasonals which I really liked. Maybe it’s because their price gaps weren’t that large and Chanel didn’t differentiate so much in the craftsmanship compared to now.
Not offensive at all i have noticed this with latest releases too, like for example the sweet classic flap That got released! The strap was super thin, seams looked ugly.

i agree that not enough attention is paid to these seasonal bags. Might be lucky to find one that is well made and has a great design !

Reactions: ijustneedthis