Steve Madden quality :[

1. Hi everyone
    I'm usually not in the shoe forum, I apologize if this thread has already been done!

I was never into Steve Madden shoes but one of my best friends looves the brand so I decided to give it a try.
    I bought a pair of black "Candence" boots not even a year ago and they're already ripped! The leather on the tip on my right boot has completely come apart from the sole, and there is a large rip on the left side of my left shoe! This has never happened to any other pair of boots I've owned, and I babied these boots too. I would always clean and condition them every 2-3 weeks. (I live in Canada so I wear them through the snow)
    Then something unexpected happened.
    My big toe on my right foot actually became infected because of the rip (I didn't notice the rip until after my infection) The Doc said the rip let in dirty snow and slush :[ That explained why my right foot was always colder than my left. I was on heavy antibiotics for a week and I couldn't walk. It was an inner tissue infection, and I had a sharp pain from inside my bone and a fierce burning the surrounding tissues.

I tried to convince myself that I would never buy another pair of Steve Madden shoes ever, but then I ended up buying a pair of the double zippered riding boots about a week ago.
    And here's the new problem: the boots stink to high heaven!!! :sick:
    My brother pointed it out to me at the store but I thought it would go away after.
    Nope.
    I have cleaned, conditioned, water-proofed sprayed them, left them to dry, wrapped them in newspaper to absorb the smell, febreezed the #%&$&@ out of them, AND THEY STILL STINK!
    It smells like an awful plasticy, poorly dyed, chemical leather smell :[
    I don't want to go through the effort of bringing them back and try to get a different pair because they're probably all the same.

I am extremely disappointed in this brand. My best friend has never had a problem with her shoes, so I guess I'm unlucky.
    But that is enough damage to my wallet ($420 for both), my body, and my nose.

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to share :[
    I really hope no one else has had it to the point where they got a tissue infection!

Please let me know your thoughts on this brand

2. I think SM products are junk. I haven't owned a pair since my teen years. Sorry this happened to you.

3. Agreed. Bad quality, overpriced and will smell after a few wears.

4. I'm so sorry that happened to you! :hugs:

I own one pair of Steve Madden boots that I bought about four years ago. For me, they've held up really nicely and every winter, I wear them nearly everyday. They're still going strong. I did buy a pair of ballet flats about a year ago and those were horrible. They stretched out really quickly and now they're just sitting in the shoebox. When I've worn out my boots completely, I most likely won't buy another pair of SMs.

5. All of my Steve Madden shoes have held up well. I've never had a problem with quality. I actually really like Steve Madden shoes!

6. They have some nice new styles out. I am considering trying them. How do Steve Madden usual run?

7. I hate to say it, but, not surprised one bit. Very low quality.

8. As far as the rip in the toe goes - that could potentially happen to even an expensive pair in the wet slushy Canadian winters. I came to that realization a number of years ago and bought rubber boots and snow boots as to not ruin my leather boots.

In regards to the smelly boots - I would take them back and complain. Get a different pair if they give you a store credit.

9. I like some SM styles, but they are really horrible quality. I had two pairs (one sandal, one boot) that fell apart within days of minimal wear. I will never buy them again.

10. I find they run true to size & I can also wear a half size up comfortably.
    I don't think the quality is worth it though :[

Thank you everyone!

d-girl1011 Yeah I think I'm going to go back to proper snow boots.
    no more leather boots for the winter

11. I have SM boots that I've been wearing for at least 3 years now, and they're fine. Maybe you just happened to get some defective ones. I wouldn't say the whole brand is terrible because of this incident.

Also, I have Tory Burch Reva flats that I got last winter, and the bottom front of my right shoe is torn off. They were really expensive. They're also scuffed off like crazy. So apparently the more expensive brands aren't much better than the less expensive ones these days.

12. I had a pair of SM tweed flats that were adoooorable, but yeah... they sucked and pretty much fell apart (and smelled really bad). A couple years ago I had a string of bad experiences with low-priced shoes, so I don't even bother anymore; I just get something nicer at the consignment store.

13. My mom bought me a pair of Steve Madden riding boots last winter & they are already ripped & coming apart! Never again..

14. I agree, most SM shoes are flimsy and bad quality. Some of them are literally built on cardboard, I'm not even kidding. I only have so many pairs because their shops in Australia were closing down a few years ago and at the outlet store, everything was going for $5, $10, $15, $20, so I bought a whole stack of boots, heels and flats. A good supply of go-to shoes for times when I don't want to ruin my good quality shoes. I'd only ever shell out any money for them at that price point though :roflmfao:

15. Sorry that happened to you!

I bought the Iden boots by steve madden and my experience was horrible as well. Steve madden makes very cute, but horrible quality shoes. Since my experience with the Iden boots, I refuse to ever buy a pair again.

I walked ONE day in new york city with those boots, and my feet were killing me. These wedge boots were only about 1 inch high, but poorly made. When I took my shoes off at the end of the day, my left pinky toe on both feet had bled through my socks. It was horrible. And then a month after that, the heel on the right foot just completely fell off. I took them back to Bloomingdales and they happily took them back and apologized for the poor quality (even though it wasn't their fault). I personally think Steve Madden shoes are a little overpriced as well for the quality.