sterling silver and marcasite

Sep 23, 2006
LAtely, I have been buying a lot of sterling silver rings. I noticed that TJ Maxx, kohl's, and target have some great rings. I bought one today at target that is sterling silver. Yesterday, I bought a sterling silver and marcasite ring from kohl's. Does anyone here like marcasite? I noticed that they are much cheaper stones and they make the rings sparkle. Also, I noticed that the sterling silver tends to look antique with marcasite. Does anyone else buy sterling silver and marcasite rings? Here is a picture of the ring that I bought from target. It is just a plain sterling silver heart ring. It is a ring,but for someone reason the picture doesn't show the loop part where you put your finger. I just wanted to share and see if there are any other sterling silver fans and any other marcasite fans.

Attachments

• 41H1ef7O38L__SS384_.jpg
    41H1ef7O38L__SS384_.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 549
Marcasite can be very pretty. I am not a fan of cheap marcasite jewelry, but the more high-end marcasite is gorgeous. Do a google search of the brand Judith Jack. Amazing marcasite.

So there is a difference in marcasite quality? I didn't know that. I saw someone else mention Judith Jack. I looked up her pieces and they are lovely. I really like this ring a lot.

Attachments

• _5579411.jpg
    _5579411.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 551
I used to sell Judith Jack. Like everything there is a a difference in quality between high and low end brands. If you see any Judith Jack, you can see it's beautifully set. The one thing about Marcasite is that the stones can fall out.. so you just have to be careful.

i have two handmade sterling silver and marcasite rings that i really like (sorry about the crappy pics!). i used to have a huge filigree marcasite cocktail ring, but it was stolen and i haven't seen one like it since. :cry:

Attachments

• DSCF0041.jpg
    DSCF0041.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 529
  • DSCF0057.jpg
    DSCF0057.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 587
  • closeup.jpg
    closeup.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 567
^^ Those are really pretty pictures. I love your rings! I love the amethyst and the marcasite. I saw a ring that amethyst and marcasite recently,but it wasn't quite as beautiful as yours. I'm sorry about the one that was stolen. Did you have a picture of it? If so maybe you can bring it to a jeweler and have it custom made to look similar to the other one? Do they even custom make marcasite jewelry?

thanks! unfortunately i did not take a picture of the ring that was stolen.. i wish i had, because i really loved it. it was quite large and looked like a vertical, feathered wing that folded over on one side, if that makes sense. the whole thing was lacy and covered in marcasites. gahhh. i might be able to draw it from memory, and i'm assuming a jeweler would be able to replicate it (aside from the really fine details which i'm starting to forget). i should definitely look into it! :smile:

Judith Jack is the only marcasite I will buy but be careful with washing your hands or getting the jewelry wet b/c I had 3 macasite stones fall out of JJ and I am about to send it to JJ for repair.

^^ Thanks for telling me that. I wash my hands all of the time with my rings on. Not marcasite because I haven't worn it yet,but other gemstones. I need to be more careful then with marcasite.

In antique marcasite the marcasites are often prong-set. In modern jewelry the marcasites are usually glued and the quality and security of the glue varies tremendously.

There is a wide range in quality in modern marcasite. With the cheaper stuff the stones will fall out before you're out of the store. The high-end Judith Jacks is the best. The stuff she sells on QVC is not so good.

I LOVE that amethyst and marcasite ring! :tup:

I love the way that marcasite shines. It is pretty in certain sterling silver settings. I think marcasite is great for something shiny, but not too expensive. The other day I bought a sterling silver bracelet. It did not have marcasite, but it is pretty thick Italian made sterling silver bracelet. If you get a chance check out TJMaxx for their Jewelry section. THey have great sterling silver and some great marcasite pieces.

I love marcasite, but for some reason I always thought it was a cheap stone? Can it be valuable?

I am looking at these earrings online. Do they look quality or a bit cheap? They want a fair bit of money for them, but I can't help worrying I will be ripped off?

Attachments

• Marcasite.JPG
    Marcasite.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 554