Step-daughter's Christmas gift - I need your help!

ok this is straight from my 'to-buy' list...the LV Pochette Marelle. It is so beautiful and not everyone has it. As a 25 year old girl i'm sure she goes out a lot...either on dates or else with girlfriends. This is the perfect clutch that will draw everyone's eyes her way. The big bonus...it's only $500.

If she doesn't like LV...I would go with a pair of shoes. Gotta love Fendi's shoes :smile:
Pochette Marelle

Baggaholic said:
I would purchase one of those mall gift cards with the Visa/Mastercard logo's on them - I know that the Simon card is good at any location, and since you guys are in Jersey she can go the the designer outlets there and get alot for the money! yo0u will always know that she got what she wanted!
It will be a great surprise, my daughters and step-daughters always look forward to those gift cards because they know they will go on their shopping spree's.
I would purchase a cute pair of pearl earrings and beautiful card to go along with the gift card. A classic,... pearl earrings with a diamond drop.

ooooh good idea baggaholic! wanna be my mom? :biggrin:

i'm about that age and would LOVE that gift. the pearl earrings make it personal enough that it still feels special and sentimental, but the gift card would make me seriously giddy.

visa and american express do prepaid gift cards as well that just like a credit card. you can use them anywhere that takes that type of card.

amercat said:
At lunch the other day, I asked my 25 year old stepdaughter if she would rather have one big gift this year instead of a number of smaller ones. She is interested in the one bigger gift and she wants it to be a surprise.

I'm surprised that as a member of TPF that you wouldn't automatically think of a bag for your stepdaughter. If the watch or jewelry approach does now work for her, how about buying her an experience? I'm not sure what kind of experience $1000 would buy, but maybe a trip somewhere or classes in something that she's really into but wouldn't buy herself or couldn't afford? Tell me what you get her eventually!

Don't get her a LV bag. Some people aren't into monograms and it's tough to buy a bag for someone because your own personal taste is probably different. Personally, amongst my 25 year old friends, they'd rather have something more "young" designer. Example: Marc Jacobs rather than Louis Vuitton. I think a watch would be great too.

Maybe try to dig around and wait a little longer to come up with an idea. Maybe she'll hint at something? Or ask one of her friends. I'm around her age and a nice watch or a handbag sounds good. A lot of my friends and I also like getting David Yurman jewelry as gifts. $1000 for studs will only get you like .25 in each ear, which, for me is OK for every day wear, but too small for special occasions or once I get older. I also like the idea of a nice piece of jewely and a gift card so she can shop for the rest... or you can go the route my parents take which is they take me out for the day to shop and pick out my own gifts.

Good luck :smile:

mas2388 said:
amercat said:
At lunch the other day, I asked my 25 year old stepdaughter if she would rather have one big gift this year instead of a number of smaller ones. She is interested in the one bigger gift and she wants it to be a surprise.

I'm surprised that as a member of TPF that you wouldn't automatically think of a bag for your stepdaughter. If the watch or jewelry approach does now work for her, how about buying her an experience? I'm not sure what kind of experience $1000 would buy, but maybe a trip somewhere or classes in something that she's really into but wouldn't buy herself or couldn't afford? Tell me what you get her eventually!

mas - You are sooo right - I did think of a pocketbook first! - but felt just a tad guilty imposing my addiction on her....

Everyone's ideas have been great. It is rich food for thought & I will post what happens when the time comes.

Well, David Yurman is always a good choice for me. What about a Michele watch? Or a nice LV/Chanel bag. Well, okay I'm 19 and those are some of the things I want...yeah okay I know I won't get them all but they will always be on my list :lol:

Here's my update as promised!!

We ended up getting my stepdaugher a right hand ring in white gold with a total of 50 points of diamonds. Her ring size is 4 3/4 so a lot of rings just looked so wrong on her petite hand.

The ring she picked was well inside the budget I set, so I went ahead and got her the LV monogram speedy, too. Her ring box is wrapped and inside the speedy -- along with about a dozen dimestore treasures - all about the size of that ring box. She will go crazy with the small boxes trying to find the one with the ring.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions - you gave me a lot of food for thought!

wow that sounds like a great gift and really wonderful presentation as well. she'll have so much fun opening the presents that it will really be an experience she will remember. in the end, it's not about the objects as much as it's about the feeling you get when you open them. you have one lucky stepdaughter!