Stay awake or be put to sleep?

Binks

Feb 11, 2013
Hello, I thought this would be the best sub forum to ask this question.

I'm 15 years old and I am going to have braces. I have been assessed and because my teeth are above a certain number on 1 to 10 I am allowed to have the braces done on the NHS for free. However to have those put on I need to have four teeth taken out and one of them is my last baby tooth so I will also need the one below that removed so in total I will have 5 teeth removed.

I have a phobia of needles and my dentist has given me the option of having the removed when i'm awake (using needles to numb my gums) or have them removed whilst under either gas/air or local anaesthesia (which would also require needles in my hand or arm which I think is not an option).

Is gas/air a good way to get it over with or is it a horrible feeling as I've been told because I've had many bad experiences with needles and they make me very anxious. Or shall I try and get them removed when i'm awake, my dentist was very understanding and told me I can get one removed at a time as opposed to 2,2 and 1.

Thanks

Last edited:

I'm 15 years old and I am going to have braces. I have been assessed and because my teeth are above a certain number on 1 to 10 I am allowed to have the braces done on the NHS for free. However to have those put on I need to have four teeth taken out and one of them is my last baby tooth so I will also need the one below that removed so in total I will have 5 teeth removed.

I have a phobia of needles and my dentist has given me the option of having the removed when i'm awake (using needles to numb my gums) or have them removed whilst under either gas/air or local anaesthesia (which would also require needles in my hand or arm which I think is not an option).

Is gas/air a good way to get it over with or is it a horrible feeling as I've been told because I've had many bad experiences with needles and they make me very anxious. Or shall I try and get them removed when i'm awake, my dentist was very understanding and told me I can get one removed at a time as opposed to 2,2 and 1.

Thanks

go under... why do you want to stay awake...

That's what I was thinking, however my mother thinks that I should try the needles whilst i'm awake and if I can't cope go with the gas.

you can also go under from an IV injection if you prefer injections ^^ the gas is not so good i think because it's really hard to control the amount of gas so more risk of waking up in the middle...

Thanks
Just to share with you my experiences, I went under general anesthesia to remove 4 of my wisdom teeth and post surgery I had zero pain, I opted for local anesthesia when I removed 2 teeth for braces and I swear it hurt like mad after the extraction cos the anesthesia effect wear off in an hour and my wound were still raw.
I personally feel it's better to go under GA if you are going to have so many teeth removed cos you will feel less nervous and definitely lesser pain.