Stay at Home Moms- Any advice of how to save up for your own jewelry fund?

I think what will happen is that he would buy it for me, but I would still have to put my savings towards. So, if I have $2500 in savings, then he would take that and pay the rest. Then, it would be a gift for a few occasions. This would be cool with me- :cool:.

DH and I do it like this too, I think it makes sense for us as well, that way we use household cash/savings etc for other important things and I don't feel badly for us being so indulgent with my bling!

Oh my can I relate!!!
The difference is that while I earned a great living, dh earns substantially more.
I decided to stay home..retired to have four children.
I find it a lot easier to spend money on luxury items when he makes me feel angry or unappreciated. (evil laugh)......

Lol I'm so glad I found this thread. You ladies crack me up. Before I had my baby daughter who will be turning one in 8 days time (gasp) I was a professional earning more money than my dear hubby. Then I had a baby and decided to stay at home and breast feed. Staying at home AND breast feeding has probably been the toughest 2 jobs I've done in my life (I'm still going strong on both). But I miss making my own money and buying things for myself. It sounds odd but I feel shy asking my husband for things when all my life I've gone out and earned it myself. Even though its his duty to provide for me I feel guilty buying luxury items with his money. I can't wait to go back to work. I have an endless number of items on my wish list that needs ticking off hahaha

Wait...
So you three gave your mom the 6K in order for her to buy a nice piece of jewelry.
Your mom then decided against the necklace......but kept your money?
Now your brothers are going to buy the necklace anyway?

She certainly raised three kind, thoughtful, generous children.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you too.. if you get your bracelet and DH paid for it, you can use your savings for your VCA sweet bracelet. :woohoo:

But all that saving and scrimping (and sacrificings) may affect you differently.

My mum has been a SAHM all her life. a few years ago she was hankering for a "grown-up" piece of necklace. Being the filial Asian children who have seen how frugal and self-denying she has been all her life for us, my 2 brothers and i agreed we'll split the balance of $6k if she can save the $10k (yes!! it's a serious piece of necklace!). So, she got on with the whole business of furiously saving for it and between birthdays, anniversaries, bonuses etc, etc., she did really well and managed to save the $10k in 3yrs. the 3 mugs (me and brothers) transferred the monies we promised to her bank account. lo and behold, when she went to the bank and she saw the amount of $16,000 in her account, she changed her mind!! she couldn't bring herself to spend it on a piece of "trinket" (she calls jewelery "frivolous trinkets" now, i put it down to sour-grape syndrom), saying she'd scrimped and saved for years and so, not going to blow it all in one shop buying one thing and instead she bought some bonds...!! haha! but...arrrgghhh...!! it was so frustrating as we know she really deserves it and really wants it. i don't know whether to laugh or cry and felt slightly disappointed as i was hoping to borrow the necklace too. :rolleyes: either that or she's great at manipulating us and sending us on guilt-trip as my 2 brothers have lately been hinting about maybe sharing and just buying it for her as she'll never buy it herself... LOL..!!

now that's something i'm going to try with my children too some day.. :wlae:

I think what will happen is that he would buy it for me, but I would still have to put my savings towards. So, if I have $2500 in savings, then he would take that and pay the rest. Then, it would be a gift for a few occasions. This would be cool with me- :cool:.

I agree, it's a great way to do it :smile:

Excited!!

Ive sold some of my old gold that i dont wear anymore. Instant cash.
Going tomorrow to a city store which is good cos they buy the diamonds, not just the gold so fingers crossed Ill be able to buy a tiffany necklace. Can only dream!

I am a stay-at-home mother who really wants a Cartier Love Bracelet. My husband, who is not a fan of the design, told me to save my money up for it. Okay, that is great, but how we work is that I take money when I NEED it. Although I NEED a Love Bracelet on my wrist (:graucho:), it is not the same as I need a new pair of sneakers, a black dress for an occasion, a new pair of jeans, makeup, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ahh so thats what that bracelet is? like our famous aussie model Lara Bingle. always admired her 'bracelet'. its gorgeous yesss.

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?um=...nw=99&start=0&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0,i:83

:biggrin: tgg, she is such a Scrooooooge sometimes. she sees the amount pilling up in her bank account and likes it that way. she's had a tough time putting 3 children through uni, wiping out her's and dad's life savings. so, she's obsessed with financial security and savings now. but i am fine either way being a mercenary that i am. I see the bonds she bought from the money we gave her as 'inheritance', and if we end up buying the necklace (better still), it means i pay 1/3 but will own it outright someday. I see what i give her as "investments and savings for future" whether she ends up saving it or buy jewellery. In my culture, traditionally, jewellery goes to daughters. And i am the only daughter. Yippee...!!! :graucho::wlae:

so, on my part, i'm not proud to say that it's not totally a selfless, generous, considerate gesture.... :devil: ooops..!!:broom:

Wait...
So you three gave your mom the 6K in order for her to buy a nice piece of jewelry.
Your mom then decided against the necklace......but kept your money?
Now your brothers are going to buy the necklace anyway?

She certainly raised three kind, thoughtful, generous children.

Last edited:
omg...you are way too cute!
:biggrin: tgg, she is such a Scrooooooge sometimes. she sees the amount pilling up in her bank account and likes it that way. she's had a tough time putting 3 children through uni, wiping out her's and dad's life savings. so, she's obsessed with financial security and savings now. but i am fine either way being a mercenary that i am. I see the bonds she bought from the money we gave her as 'inheritance', and if we end up buying the necklace (better still), it means i pay 1/3 but will own it outright someday. I see what i give her as "investments and savings for future" whether she ends up saving it or buy jewellery. In my culture, traditionally, jewellery goes to daughters. And i am the only daughter. Yippee...!!! :graucho::wlae:

so, on my part, i'm not proud to say that it's not totally a selfless, generous, considerate gesture.... :devil: ooops..!!:broom:

UPDATE So, I was able to save up half, and my hubby said he would pay for the rest- :biggrin: . However, I need help finding my LOVE! I have been on the hunt for the last 2 months, but I am coming up short. I do not trust ebay, so that is out. I am looking for an 18k Yellow or Rose Gold in a size 17. I called Yoogi's Closet, Ann's Fab Finds, and Luxury Exchange to put my name down on a waiting list. I also called Beladora, but they suggested ebay (I was a little perplexed by this).

Does anyone else have a store suggestion that I can put my name down. I NEED help; my wrist is naked without my LOVE!

AntiqueShopper said:
UPDATE So, I was able to save up half, and my hubby said he would pay for the rest- :biggrin: . However, I need help finding my LOVE! I have been on the hunt for the last 2 months, but I am coming up short. I do not trust ebay, so that is out. I am looking for an 18k Yellow or Rose Gold in a size 17. I called Yoogi's Closet, Ann's Fab Finds, and Luxury Exchange to put my name down on a waiting list. I also called Beladora, but they suggested ebay (I was a little perplexed by this).

Does anyone else have a store suggestion that I can put my name down. I NEED help; my wrist is naked without my LOVE!

Yay! Congratz!!!!

I think Ann has a size 17 cuff? If ur interested. I haven't seen the bracelet around

Maybe your hubby has a point or two. Maybe sell some of the items but keep the one that he is really keen on. You might never know maybe in 10 years time you will be craving for them if you know what i mean. Hope you will get your LOVE bracelet soon. :smile:

Maybe your hubby has a point or two. Maybe sell some of the items but keep the one that he is really keen on. You might never know maybe in 10 years time you will be craving for them if you know what i mean. Hope you will get your LOVE bracelet soon. :smile:

Thank you! My hubby already agreed to pay half. I already have the other half. All I need to do is find my LOVE. If you know any location that has an authentic LOVE in size 17 in yellow or rose gold for sale, please let me know. I am on the hunt!

I dont know if it is ok to post it here but if this is not appropriate please delete this post.
I saw last month for the price of £1200 at Bonham's auction house (of course you have to bid) :smile::smile:. Google it, they might still have it.

Last edited:
I'm a stay-at-home Mom, too, and I earn my entire income on eBay. You'd be surprised at how much you can make selling the old junk that is cluttering up your home. Old clothing items, CDs, DVDs, gently used toys, jewelry that you don't wear any longer... it all adds up!

Also, if you live in an area with a lot of outlet malls, you can catch some really cheap items there to re-sell for profit on websites like eBay. And if it doesn't sell within the store's return/exchange time-frame, you can always return it to the store and you don't lose a dime. Many eBay sellers make a business out of this.