Stay at Home Moms- Any advice of how to save up for your own jewelry fund?

May 29, 2010
I am a stay-at-home mother who really wants a Cartier Love Bracelet. My husband, who is not a fan of the design, told me to save my money up for it. Okay, that is great, but how we work is that I take money when I NEED it. Although I NEED a Love Bracelet on my wrist (:graucho:), it is not the same as I need a new pair of sneakers, a black dress for an occasion, a new pair of jeans, makeup, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Maybe you could talk to your DH and agree to a certain amount of money which you can set aside per month. Or maybe wish for money for birthday, christmas, etc. so that you can buy the bangle.

After all, being a mother and doing all the housework is also a job which deserves a "salary" (or at least a love braclet) ;)

Maybe you could talk to your DH and agree to a certain amount of money which you can set aside per month. Or maybe wish for money for birthday, christmas, etc. so that you can buy the bangle.

After all, being a mother and doing all the housework is also a job which deserves a "salary" (or at least a love braclet) ;)

Excellent post!!!! I totally agree.

I was already thinking of doing this. He gave me $1000 start up fund, so he is supportive of this. It was his idea for me to save up for the bracelet.

I plan to buy a used one (so I need about $3000 more).

I am in the same situation as you :smile: I love being a SAHM but I do miss my paycheck!! My DH just takes time to give in to the things I like. He always tell me to save up for things but will almost always end up buying the items on my wish list :smile: hopefully your husband will be the same? I got my Love bracelet in July and love it! I convinced him that it was for our 5 year anniversary and push present. Good luck with DH! Hopefully he gives in soon!!!

AntiqueShopper said:
I am a stay-at-home mother who really wants a Cartier Love Bracelet. My husband, who is not a fan of the design, told me to save my money up for it. Okay, that is great, but how we work is that I take money when I NEED it. Although I NEED a Love Bracelet on my wrist (:graucho:), it is not the same as I need a new pair of sneakers, a black dress for an occasion, a new pair of jeans, makeup, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Wow this is my EXACT situation!!! My DH knows I want one so badly, and I actually think he will eventually buy me one for a special occasion soon but I'm so impatient! :smile: I stay home with my two girls and everyday I try to think of a way to make money. I love being a SAHM so much but miss being able to buy something for myself (luxury item) without having to run it by him. We work very hard too and I love getting paid in hugs and kisses but I wouldn't mind having a shiny new love bracelet on my wrist to look at while Im changing poopy diapers, or scrubbing toilets!

Wow this is my EXACT situation!!! My DH knows I want one so badly, and I actually think he will eventually buy me one for a special occasion soon but I'm so impatient! :smile: I stay home with my two girls and everyday I try to think of a way to make money. I love being a SAHM so much but miss being able to buy something for myself (luxury item) without having to run it by him. We work very hard too and I love getting paid in hugs and kisses but I wouldn't mind having a shiny new love bracelet on my wrist to look at while Im changing poopy diapers, or scrubbing toilets!

In addition, the bracelet seems practical for this lifestyle. I have beautiful gold bracelets, but they are ornate. One day I hope to wear them again, but it does not make sense now.

I am in the same situation as you :smile: I love being a SAHM but I do miss my paycheck!! My DH just takes time to give in to the things I like. He always tell me to save up for things but will almost always end up buying the items on my wish list :smile: hopefully your husband will be the same? I got my Love bracelet in July and love it! I convinced him that it was for our 5 year anniversary and push present. Good luck with DH! Hopefully he gives in soon!!!

I am glad that I am not alone. In all honesty, I did not know the response on TPF to this thread.

When it comes to my hubby buying it for me, he probably would buy it in a few years; however, I am impatient. I would like to have it within a year.

Good luck in your pursuit of your Cartier Love Bracelet OP. Keep us posted on what happens next!

Thank you! I will definately keep everyone posted.

Just keep mentioning it! Ask for money for gifts. Ask if you can have a bonus when you know there's some extra money coming in. Take stuff to a consignment shop. For me, when my dh sees that I'm making an effort to save for something, he usually becomes more generous! The financial imbalance, and the guilt we feel for spending on ourselves, is the unpleasant part of being a sahm.
One more thing...whenever I return a purchase, if I get a cash refund, it goes right into my slush fund. That money was already spent so I don't feel bad!

AntiqueShopper said:
In addition, the bracelet seems practical for this lifestyle. I have beautiful gold bracelets, but they are ornate. One day I hope to wear them again, but it does not make sense now.

ITA, very practical. I did just bring a bunch of stuff to the consignment shop and plan to sell a lot of other things of mine I haven't worn in ages including all my Tiffany silver pieces I maybe wore once and a DY ring. But I always have mom guilt and end up splurging on the kids! Where there is a will there is a way, right!?!!!