Starting a new jewelry collection

Jun 28, 2010
I'm kind of over gaudy accessories, etc. I'd rather save up for some truly timeless pieces:
--ring
--bracelet
--charm bracelet
--2 necklaces (one pearl, one not)
--3 pairs of earrings (one must be diamond studs)
--timeless watch

Any good brand recommendations? I don't mind brands more than Tiffanys but not as much as a house downpayment please lol. Pictorial examples are highly welcomed!

It totally depends on actual budget, I tend to stay away from most "branded" pieces unless it's a very particular design. I prefer custom made from select vendors on ETSY and elsewhere, especially if it's precious metal and stones rather than silver and semi-precious.

I was in your boat about two years ago. I hadn't bought any jewelry for myself in many years and needed to build a collection. If I had to do it all over again, I would have been more disciplined/focused in my approach. I bought some pieces because they seemed like a good deal but it's not a good deal if you never end up wearing them.
Here's my advise: Buy what you LOVE and what you feel you absolutely must have. An example of this for me was the Elsa Peretti Bone Cuff. I couldn't really justify the price in the sterling silver or gold so I bought it in the black and I'm just as thrilled.
I would start with a necklace - something "you" - in one of the metals (in gold, or silver, or whatever). Necklaces are something I notice on other people more than any other piece of jewelry so that's why I recommend that first.
As far as brands, I like Pearl Paradise for pearls, Blue Nile, Tiffany and Co., Cartier (if you can afford it, especially their watches), and etsy for handmade, unique items. Pandora is fun too since you mentioned "charm bracelet". James Avery is good as well - I have a set of bangles from them that I just LOVE. Have fun with it and good luck with your collection.

I'm kind of over gaudy accessories, etc. I'd rather save up for some truly timeless pieces:
--ring
--bracelet
--charm bracelet
--3 pairs of earrings (one must be diamond studs)
--timeless watch

Any good brand recommendations? I don't mind brands more than Tiffanys but not as much as a house downpayment please lol. Pictorial examples are highly welcomed!

-Cartier trinity
-Cartier Love or Van Cleef and Arpels Alhambra bracelet
-Preowned Tiffany &Co charm bracelets are usually well priced. Try vendors like 1st dibs
- pearl paradise has great prices and will do custom. For the second piece I'd choose a VCA Alhambra or Tiffany necklace
- white flash, blue Nile, or Brian Gavin sell great diamond studs with upgrade policies. I'd choose pearls from Pearl Paradise and a pair of gold or silver ball studs for my third pair
-Any of the Cartier Tank or Ballon Bleu watches are timeless.

Some of these pieces are a bit expensive but if you want a collection that will stand the test of time, both because of quality and a good design, these items are perfect! I have learned to save up for the truly special instead of settling.

Last edited:
Reactions: claireby
-Cartier trinity
-Cartier Love or Van Cleef and Arpels Alhambra bracelet
-Preowned Tiffany &Co charm bracelets are usually well priced. Try vendors like 1st dibs
- pearl paradise has great prices and will do custom. For the second piece I'd choose a VCA Alhambra or Tiffany necklace
- white flash, blue Nile, or Brian Gavin sell great diamond studs with upgrade policies. I'd choose pearls from Pearl Paradise and a pair of gold or silver ball studs for my third pair
-Any of the Cartier Tank or Ballon Bleu watches are timeless.

Some of these pieces are a bit expensive but if you want a collection that will stand the test of time, both because of quality and a good design, these items are perfect! I have learned to save up for the truly special instead of settling.

I would add gold hoops to this great list if you like hoops.

Here is my suggestions..:smile:
Ring- Tiffany Ring or Levian
Bracelet- solid gold bracelt
Charms- 14kgold Pandora charm
Necklace- 8-10 mm Tahitian or South Sea pearl and Diamond Neckalce
Earrings- depend on your diamond budget
Watch- Rolex in submariner or Daytona

My suggestions:

--ring - Cartier 3 gold Trinity

--bracelet - any decent gold chain at least 5mm wide - Get one that could double as a "charm" bracelet with the addition of a charm.

--charm bracelet -- Get a single gold charm on a link that can easily be switched (Tiffany I know has them) and attach it to above "bracelet' when you want a charm bracelet

--2 necklaces (one pearl, one not) - pearl and simple diamond (small is fine) solitaire

--3 pairs of earrings (one must be diamond studs) - Diamond studs, pearls, small gold hoops

--timeless watch - Cartier Tank or similar, Anything with a classic face/numerals, alligator, croc, lizard strap.

My suggestions:

--ring - Cartier 3 gold Trinity

--bracelet - any decent gold chain at least 5mm wide - Get one that could double as a "charm" bracelet with the addition of a charm.

--charm bracelet -- Get a single gold charm on a link that can easily be switched (Tiffany I know has them) and attach it to above "bracelet' when you want a charm bracelet

--2 necklaces (one pearl, one not) - pearl and simple diamond (small is fine) solitaire

--3 pairs of earrings (one must be diamond studs) - Diamond studs, pearls, small gold hoops

--timeless watch - Cartier Tank or similar, Anything with a classic face/numerals, alligator, croc, lizard strap.
Perfect wisdom / advice!

How exciting! I can only speak from experience and hope it helps you. I am 21, just this year I realized that I need some quality jewelry in my life; because to be completely honest Louboutin shoes and chanel bags are really not doing anything for me anymore (overindulged) I am a big believer in quality over quantity. With all of this being said my collection thus far includes:

--ring- basically comes down to personal preference I love huge diamond rings. As of now I only have one ring (my engagement ring)

--bracelet- I am not a bracelet kind of girl but I would suggest a Cartier LOVE or a classic diamond tennis bracelet.

--charm bracelet- I would suggest Tiffany and Co they have wonderful charms

1. Chanel pearl necklace (it was a gift)
2. Tiffany and Co diamond cross ( Just bought last week and I love it)

--3 pairs of earrings (one must be diamond studs)-
1. Gold hoops ( gift from my mom they were hers that she received as a push present 20 years ago)
2. Van Cleef and Arpels- onyx motif studs
3. Diamond hoops ( did not buy these yet still looking for the perfect pair)

--timeless watch- Cartier Ballon Bleu 36 Automatic (fantastic, timeless, and highly recommend)

I hope I helped even a little bit! Best wishes as you grow your jewelry collection! :heart:

You need to find out what you love. First start with what metals makes your heart sing.
For me it is 18k Yellow Gold. I do not like white metals at all. Know your golds!

Next what areas do you like to highlight? I love bracelets . I love looking down and seeing them on my wrists. They make me very happy. I love stacking them.
I also like rings. I can see them, they feel good on my hands and I enjoy them.
I also love earrings , large earrings . Hoops and dangles are my favorite. I have some ear clips and enjoy them too.

I need more necklaces, but they are not a fav to me at this time.

Then go to stores and try everything on. Find your personal style. You mentioned Tiffany 's that is a good start. Go to all of the classics. Cartier, VCA.etc. It may not be your style or you may fall in love. Check out small boutiques too. Do you like gemstones? Modern or a vintage vibe?
Think of your daily life and what fits in it. Think of your clothing, hair and makeup. What jewelry would complement you and your style? Don't buy something because it is popular here!
Have fun! :smile:

You have gotten good advice, but I'm going to add something I've not seen on here. I don't know where you live, but you might want to take a look at a few antique shops to see if you like antique jewelry (it's one of my jewelry passions). There are pieces with incredible work that you just don't find anymore.

I agree about finding out what metal you like, but be aware that this may change over time. I bought many things in yellow gold which I cared for at the time, but now I'm a platinum/white gold person all the way (I was only partially that way before). I will still mix in some of my gold pieces, but the rest will be handed down, as I just don't wear them at all.

Buy pieces that fit with your lifestyle and with your clothes. If you have a dress down job and like to wear casual clothes, then you might want to choose more laid back types of jewelry. If you've got a dress up job or just like to dress up, then you will want jewelry to reflect that style. There's more to it when you make out a thought out plan than just abc123. :smile:

I just went through this. I thought I was buying the right items from the silver Tiffany line but I realized that I grew out of those items as well. I'm currently in the same boat and over the past couple of years I've developed a small but loved collection that works for all occasions.
Yes have a pearl set, gold hoops, etc.
I would also recommend a couple of different bangles, one gold, diamond, and an interesting design
A good timeless watch (no Michele's or trendy watches)
A gold or diamond pendant
Diamond studs- I'm waiting until I can buy large ones so that I don't have to upgrade until my 30s.
A statement ring and a plain everyday ring
A long necklace
A signature piece like a ring or a necklace pendant.

I went name brand and I'm very happy I did bc of how nonbranded gold prices fluctuate. It took long saving process but well worth it for me.

I ended up mixing and matching with Tiffany's and Cartier. I have other brands as well as family jeweler pieces. I didn't list them bc I didn't want to bore you but I'm very happy with the way my collection is going.

You have gotten good advice, but I'm going to add something I've not seen on here. I don't know where you live, but you might want to take a look at a few antique shops to see if you like antique jewelry (it's one of my jewelry passions). There are pieces with incredible work that you just don't find anymore.

I agree about finding out what metal you like, but be aware that this may change over time. I bought many things in yellow gold which I cared for at the time, but now I'm a platinum/white gold person all the way (I was only partially that way before). I will still mix in some of my gold pieces, but the rest will be handed down, as I just don't wear them at all.

Buy pieces that fit with your lifestyle and with your clothes. If you have a dress down job and like to wear casual clothes, then you might want to choose more laid back types of jewelry. If you've got a dress up job or just like to dress up, then you will want jewelry to reflect that style. There's more to it when you make out a thought out plan than just abc123. :smile:

Antique pieces are a great idea! Ruby Lane sells a lot of beautiful antique jewelry.