stars carrying fakes?

kittykelly

Jan 31, 2008
Washington DC
Dear All, it realy surprised me to learn from other tpf members that caroline besset kennedy, sarah jessica parker and gwenith paltrow carried fake bags at one time or another. i have looked at the blue (brighton) birking sarah jessica parker carried over and over again and i would have never noticed. do you think H rats them out or simply overlooks this, figuring the general public would not notice? curious

LittleH

O.G.
Aug 12, 2008
London
Surely this can't be true? Why would they do it given that they have the means to buy the real thing??? The only people I'd think would buy fake is people who can't afford real H no?

Kelly_Birkin

Bolduc Ribbon Girl
O.G.
Apr 30, 2007
USA
I remember reading years ago that celebs would leave their real jewelry locked in a safe while they wore their fakes instead especially when travelling. Now for those of us who aren't famous, what would be the point of going through the trouble of aquiring a H bag, only to carry purposely carrying a fake, because you don't want your real one stolen?

Ms Birkin

O.G.
Jun 21, 2008
Near an orange box
It seems a bizarre notion to me, If I go to the trouble (and expense) of buying a real birkin, I want to use it and enjoy it, not leave it in its box and carry a fake. Also I would feel very self conscious carrying a fake bag (not that I would ever do this you understand) thinking people know its a fake.

Does that make sense or am I just rambling?

hello2703

Show Me The Orange!
O.G.
Jun 17, 2006
Europe. Central.
CBK and Gwyneth certainly carry/ied no fakes, neither does SJP. What DID happen one time though was that SJP was given a fake H bag for an episode of SATC. I also think Gwyneth was given a fake for The Royal Tennenbaums (but don't know for sure).
AFAIK, CBK once carried an inspired bag before she had the cash to buy the real thing.
There's some celebs carrying fakes (Britney), but those three for sure not.

allanrvj

stan
O.G.
Apr 6, 2007
EU
I read somewhere that Vicky Beckham was given a fake LV bag by a fan (I think it was the graffiti). She didn't know until later when people pointed it out to her.

So maybe that's the reason why she's carrying a lot of Birkins now. To make up for the shame. hee hee

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2006
Dear All, it realy surprised me to learn from other tpf members that caroline besset kennedy, sarah jessica parker and gwenith paltrow carried fake bags at one time or another. i have looked at the blue (brighton) birking sarah jessica parker carried over and over again and i would have never noticed. do you think H rats them out or simply overlooks this, figuring the general public would not notice? curious
The picture of Sarah Jessica Parker was not from her real life. It was from a SATC episode. That picture is all over eBay, etc. to show how cool you can be if you, too, have a Birkin, etc. They all act like this is a candid shot of her when it's just a still shot from the show. The bag is just a prop.

The same goes for Gwyneth... Most of the shots of her with H are from The Royal Tennenbaums.

kittykelly

Jan 31, 2008
Washington DC
here is what i find curious. if paltrow and parker have the real deal (as i was sure they did) why dont they just use those as props in the film? at least then they would not be surrounded by the auspicious gossip of using a fake

Tanuki

Aug 8, 2008
I will confess, my engagement ring has a "stunt double" which I wear when I travel to places where I would need to leave it in a hotel room while I went to the beach. I would just take a less expensive handbag to those same places.

Fishfood

Still Abby Fabby!!
O.G.
Oct 21, 2006
Swimmin in a lil bowl
Movie props are handled by LOTS of people; can be abused, left on the ground, handed to a stand-in to get correct lighting while the potential star that owns it isn't even there yet since lighting and proper star placement can take hours, guarded by continuity managers to make sure a scratch or stain (i.e. coffee or blood!) from earlier shots shows up in later ones... the list goes on and on.

Shoot, they usually even use fake (kit, or made aftermarket) cars in movies, especially to crash or blow them up! Remember Ferris Beuler's friends Ferarri? That was a kit.

Movies are notorious for ruining props, heck, most don't even start until a movie has duplicates of key props in case of destruction, or theft. I don't envy prop managers!

_bella_

wannabe cloggie
O.G.
Nov 11, 2007
Republic of Cocktailand
underwa.ter.net
I don't have a problem with unauthentic props. It's not meant to be reality (not even Heidi montag!!) so I can suspend belief. The stars may not have control or say in the styling of the character, while at the same time the production companies may not be able to afford authentic items, or any other myriad of reasons. I for one, being the hollywood star that I am. ;) wouldn't want anything of my own used as a prop.

What they do in their day to day life, on the street, chased around by the Paparazzi is another story all together. I'd be very disappointed to find an actor I had a lot of respect for turned out to support the fake brand trade.

Nov 23, 2007
Gwyneth's bag in the Royal Tannebaums was fake. Apparently Hermes wouldn't lend her a real one.. Her Kelly in A Perfect Murder looked real though.