Stand Alone Stores Only?

Jun 28, 2011
Hi Everyone!

I was told last weekend by an SA in Saks that BV is going to pull all of their bags from department stores and have stand alone stores only. Has anyone else heard about this? And what is everyone's opinion if this happens?

I think I heard that before. Not too sure how true it is. I think they don't want to see their bags reduced in stores and want to retain an exclusive consumer which is why they stopped with their in-store sales as well. They limit their boutiques to private sales only and it is on limited merchandise as to not offend their customers who have bought the item prior to there being a sale.

Last year they started to pull BV from Saks
The reason could not be determined
I never thought that a brand like BV that has boutiques of it's own should sell in department stores
it isn't fair to the SA's and if they want to be exclusive..........
I heard they were shutting down BV on Bluefly also that BV doesn't know where Bluefly is getting the bags because it is not from them.

TBH I think all premium brands should do this, if they sell to boutiques or dept stores they lose control overall.

But what happens to on-line stores like NaP, matches and Browns etc? Does that mean BV can only be bought from the official site? If so, I applaud that too, if someone wants a BV bag they can just as easily buy it from BV direct as via a intermediary store, it's not as though someone is limited by geography when on-line.

I have always wondered at the reasoning of these big, established brands wanting to be on sale in so many virtual/real stores (including dept on-line stores) it serves no purpose at all, just makes the brand look less exclusive. Hermes and LV get that right even though in both cases it is also pure illusion.

I don't know if it's the same case. But last year Saks stopped carrying Bal. A member who has some kind of insider info, said Gucci group demands retailers full payment in advance, when they order bags from them. She said it might be one of the reasons they gave up selling Bal. BV is in Gucci group, too. So, might be the same senario?

went to saks in nyc today and monday is the last day they will carry bv in the store. they didn't have very many bags left. i think they will still be available on line but i don't really know if that is correct. maybe someone else knows.

TBH I think all premium brands should do this, if they sell to boutiques or dept stores they lose control overall.

But what happens to on-line stores like NaP, matches and Browns etc? Does that mean BV can only be bought from the official site? If so, I applaud that too, if someone wants a BV bag they can just as easily buy it from BV direct as via a intermediary store, it's not as though someone is limited by geography when on-line.

I have always wondered at the reasoning of these big, established brands wanting to be on sale in so many virtual/real stores (including dept on-line stores) it serves no purpose at all, just makes the brand look less exclusive. Hermes and LV get that right even though in both cases it is also pure illusion.

well personally I'm the type of customer who prefers to purchase BV and any other designer good at a big department store like barneys, saks, etc. for a variety of reasons. I suppose the point of wanting to sell at such outlets included to reach consumers like me.

I spoke to my SA at SAKS around Christmas time, and he too informed that the Saks in SF will no longer going to carry BV - they were just going back to the warehouse. Sure enough, there are no more BV there.

I also prefer to purchase goods such as BV through stores like Saks and NM due to better return policies, sales, etc.

I spoke to my SA at SAKS around Christmas time, and he too informed that the Saks in SF will no longer going to carry BV - they were just going back to the warehouse. Sure enough, there are no more BV there.

I also prefer to purchase goods such as BV through stores like Saks and NM due to better return policies, sales, etc.

Saks SF only had nero and ebano veneta bags last Saturday. No resort at all. NM SF was stocked to the max with resort as well as the classics. I'll be in SF on Sunday and will report back.

I don't know if it's the same case. But last year Saks stopped carrying Bal. A member who has some kind of insider info, said Gucci group demands retailers full payment in advance, when they order bags from them. She said it might be one of the reasons they gave up selling Bal. BV is in Gucci group, too. So, might be the same senario?

Could be, but I thought Gucci Group had always asked for money up front.

There are changes of policy everywhere including at Chanel, as H and LV (not all affiliated LVMH) are increasing their market share in the premium market.

It's sad that we suffer in terms of availability but if people's general habits mean that they only buy at the sales or on special discount days it effects the general reputation of the brand name.

The reason why premium designer has been sold in dept stores traditionally is because the majority of people were thought to be intimidated by the atmosphere of the stand-alones and brand could be introduced to those people with the cash but not so 'self-assured'. Nowadays people are not so intimidated.

Gucci Group did a market research last year to find out why some some former high-spending regular customers of their various brands shopped elsewhere (against current high-spenders) it showed regular high-spenders past and present are actually put-off by 'over-availability' and big discount sales as it effects the perception of the brand when they wear it - just before Gucci started selling on NaP :lol:

My biggest complaint about buying from the stand alone stores (and I buy a lot from them) is their unreasonably short return policies. NM or Saks gives me more flexibility with time to return.

I bought a LV Keepall recently from a NM and the lovely saleswoman told me they are LV employees within the Neiman Marcus store.

My biggest complaint about buying from the stand alone stores (and I buy a lot from them) is their unreasonably short return policies. NM or Saks gives me more flexibility with time to return.

I bought a LV Keepall recently from a NM and the lovely saleswoman told me they are LV employees within the Neiman Marcus store.
You're right, when I bought from the stand alone store the return policy was only 10 days.