STAM STARDUST dilemma PYTHON vs. REG!

Minamiz

O.G.
Jan 25, 2010
SO I did it finally and felt up those gorgeous stams at Nordies yesterday to see what the fuss is all about and now I'm screwed! Anyway, which is more iconic?

I fell hard for the python embossed calfskin w/ studs :drool::love:

It's also physically lighter (calfskin) than the smooth leather stam and, well, just had the right attitude! Is it too dressy for everyday?

I think I saw the python with studs on one side and not the other and another model with studs all around or was I just dazed? If so which python would u choose?

2nd pic regular stam w/ studs (not python).

Last edited:
I think that the python embossed stams are actually made from lamb's leather - I know the "Lux" bags (which are also python embossed with studs) are lamb (Thrash, Misfit, St Marks). I'm pretty sure the Stardust Stam is made from goat leather - both are lighter weight than the older calf leather, but if the Python Embossed Stam is lamb, that would explain why it's lighter weight (probably softer too!).

The Stardust Stam should have studs on both sides of the bag - altho one side has 2 diff size studs while they're all the same size on the backside. I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure only the front of the python embossed bags are studded (the backside is plain).

I think you could carry either (both) bag day or night - dressy or casual - and look great. I have a Stardust Cecelia bag as well as a Misfit (python embossed w/studs) and I don't go anywhere fancy or anything. I've carried them both to work and shopping & used them as every day bags. But they will also transition nicely from day to night.

I'm assuming this is your first stam? I'd say between the two, I'd go with the Stardust just because it's a little "simpler" and timeless. I mean, don't get me wrong - the python embossed is timeless as well, but in a bag like the stam, I think "simpler" is a little bit better - you could always get one of the python embossed Eugenie clutches or even the Beat Bag if you really like the style (or better yet, the Thrash clutch or even a Misfit!! :graucho:)

My vote goes to the python. I am tad biased coz I have a thing for exotics and even though this isn't the real deal the emboss on it is pretty dang good. :tup:

i like the texture and studs of the python embossed. the texture just adds something special to it without going overboard. i like the smooth stam too, but without the studs. ;)

i like the python-printed sd better. it's more interesting, more visually impacting. simply put, it's just sexier.
I know, right!

Honestly I'm at a pt. in life where I don't really give a flying F@!K about bag wearing ettiquite (sp) and like what I like. However, saying that I have never plunked down this kind of dough for a bag before (such a newbie) and would hate to regret getting one over the other and u knowledgeable girlies r oh so helpful :flowers:

iluvmybags u r so right about the composition of the python.....I couldn't remember what the SA said and had a hard time finding a pic of the black at 3 am when both my beasties (3yrs & 11month olds) had me up for the 3rd time :Push: The python was a lot lighter IMO. This is a consideration, slight, especially when hauling around the kiddos.

So, the python is only studded on one side whereas the reg. has studs on both sides (diff. sizes though)?

When do u guys think that python might go on sale somewhere anywhere????

Anybody have one they care to post pics of????

^ haha no stoning allowed at least in this thread but curious as to why? I know I started asking b/c I'm torn too................

Maybe we're all a little "wowed" by the python's newness :shrugs: and it will lose something as the years go by???

I do hope it's iconic. When did it come out?

I vote python embossed. Tad said it perfectly - it's sexy! I think the stam is an iconic bag no matter what Marc does to it - embossing, color, studs, doesn't matter - you can't go wrong!

^ haha no stoning allowed at least in this thread but curious as to why? I know I started asking b/c I'm torn too................

Maybe we're all a little "wowed" by the python's newness :shrugs: and it will lose something as the years go by???

I do hope it's iconic. When did it come out?

He's done embossed python before, but this version - one that really looks a lot like actual python - was first done for F/W09. That would be the "Lux" line (Thrash clutch, Misfit and St Marks). He repeated it for Resort 09 with a larger selection of bags and smaller studs (there were Singles, Lg Singles, the Beat Bag, Rio, Stam, Cecelia, Eugenie Clutch, Large Zip Wallet and Key Pouches).

The "Desir" line (w/o studs) is new for S/S10