Stam gold chain strap has gone silver !!??

Jul 30, 2012
Has anyone ever had a problem with the chain on their Stam going a different colour.

The bag is about 3 years old and some of the links, only about 3 appear to have gone more of a dark silvery colour.

Any advice appreciated :help::help:

On mine, the gold has rubbed off of some of the links and turned a dark silver color. It's on the links that face inward, touching my clothes as I carry it. Also rubbed of on the kisslock whee where my thumbs touch it. This began to happen about 6 months into carrying it regularly. I've carried it an uncountable number of times over the past three years and the color-fade has maxed out.

On mine, the gold has rubbed off of some of the links and turned a dark silver color. It's on the links that face inward, touching my clothes as I carry it. Also rubbed of on the kisslock whee where my thumbs touch it. This began to happen about 6 months into carrying it regularly. I've carried it an uncountable number of times over the past three years and the color-fade has maxed out.

Many thanks, its really good to get a reply and interesting to know that it's happened to others.

I've hardly used the bag and was gutted when I saw mine. I contacted Marc Jacobs to see if I could get a replacement strap and was absolutely horrified when they told me they don't repair bags over 2 years old. I know it is out if warranty but I assumed I could pay for a repair.

What appalling customer service, especially for a bag that originally cost over £1000........... unbelievable. NO more MJ bags for me, I definitely won't be buying this brand again. I am used to Mulberry being so helpful and repairing everything from locks to piping year as later.

I'd be interested to know how others get on without a repair service :graucho:

This has happened to several bags I've owned that have gold hardware... which is why I try to avoid gold hardware on bags now. The outer plating tends to be very thin, even on very expensive bags, & if the hardware comes in contact with skin oils on a regular basis, it will start to wear away & reveal the grey-toned metal underneath. I'm not sure if there's any type of coating that can prevent this type of wear. Perhaps lacquer? I'm not sure. Sorry to hear that's happening, though :/ I'm sure your bag is still beautiful :smile:

This has happened to several bags I've owned that have gold hardware... which is why I try to avoid gold hardware on bags now. The outer plating tends to be very thin, even on very expensive bags, & if the hardware comes in contact with skin oils on a regular basis, it will start to wear away & reveal the grey-toned metal underneath. I'm not sure if there's any type of coating that can prevent this type of wear. Perhaps lacquer? I'm not sure. Sorry to hear that's happening, though :/ I'm sure your bag is still beautiful :smile:

Thanks for the advise, I am being a lot more careful now. I hate the feel of my hands being dry so do tend to use hand cream many times during a day. I've always been very careful of touching the leather afterwards but I guess not so much with the hardware. Lesson learned the hard way :graucho:

I love hardware on bags, the more the better so it hasn't put me off. I definitely won't be buying anymore MJ bags though, their after sales service has really out me off. I've never come across this attitude with any other brands. I still have two Stams but won't be buying anymore. Incredulous that such expensive bags offer no repair service after this time, much safer sticking to premier brands that offer great aftercare. ;)

I just had to drop by and tell you that you sound like a really nice person (:

Many thanks, its really good to get a reply and interesting to know that it's happened to others.

I've hardly used the bag and was gutted when I saw mine. I contacted Marc Jacobs to see if I could get a replacement strap and was absolutely horrified when they told me they don't repair bags over 2 years old. I know it is out if warranty but I assumed I could pay for a repair.

What appalling customer service, especially for a bag that originally cost over £1000........... unbelievable. NO more MJ bags for me, I definitely won't be buying this brand again. I am used to Mulberry being so helpful and repairing everything from locks to piping year as later.

I'd be interested to know how others get on without a repair service :graucho:

I took my old school Stella (purchased 2004) to a MJ boutique a year or so ago bc I needed to repair one of the zippers (pull tab fell off & had to be reattached) & heard the same. I was also disappointed to hear about the lack of after care options from the brand itself but one of the SA's referred me to a leather repair shop a few blocks from the boutique that not only made the repair but also cleaned up my purse so it came back to me looking like new. Amazing! I've taken several other purses in for a tune up as well

Most leather shops handle hardware issues so maybe you could ask there about replating or even replacing the chain?

I've had mine for about 4 years now and this is the only issue I've had with it but it does bother me a lot too. The gold has rubbed off a little on the chain, the kisslock, the zipper pull on the front pocket (MJ sent me a replacement one but I still have to find where I can get it done) and the gold writing on the inside of the bag has pretty much completely disappeared. Apart from that the bag is in amazing condition considering it's 4 years old so I wouldn't say the overall quality is bad at all but this type of things shouldn't be happening...

I took my old school Stella (purchased 2004) to a MJ boutique a year or so ago bc I needed to repair one of the zippers (pull tab fell off & had to be reattached) & heard the same. I was also disappointed to hear about the lack of after care options from the brand itself but one of the SA's referred me to a leather repair shop a few blocks from the boutique that not only made the repair but also cleaned up my purse so it came back to me looking like new. Amazing! I've taken several other purses in for a tune up as well

Most leather shops handle hardware issues so maybe you could ask there about replating or even replacing the chain?

Sadly I haven't been that lucky. I think it can be quite easy to get some leather repairs made, you can even get a bag re-coloured or corners touched up. When it comes to hardware it seems a different issue. I tried to get it re-coated but didn't get anywhere and definitely couldn't find a chain anything like it.

I was absolutely gutted MJ don't do repairs and really gob smacked . I have quite a few bags and this one had only been used a few times. :graucho: it totally spoiled it for me and I've sold it now, no more MJ for me. I'll stick with trusty favourite brands that I know will give good after sales care. I've just never come across this with any other " premier" designer.

Ok, I have to put in my thoughts here.
The climate/environment/skin acidity has to have something to do with this. I have 17 Stams, several are 5 years old. I have not had one problem with the hardware. Not one.
I have over 10 other MJ bags. Not one single hardware problem.
I live in N TX, so the winters are dry and the summers are a little humid - not like ocean air humid, though.
I'm so curious about this.
I see thread starter lives on the coast, and the other lives in Paris. Is Paris humid? Doesn't it rain there a lot?
Do you think the humidity/sea salty air on the coast is the culprit, plus maybe skin acidity?

Still sorry this is happening to some, but it is not happening to everyone.

I'm honestly surprised at the level of after purchase service expected.

There are many, many factors that go into how fast and why gold plating wears off. The warranty is 18 months, which, personally, I think is a fair amount of time to determine whether or not an item is defective, versus showing normal wear.

I do think that Marc Jacobs needs a more visible repairs department. I personally find the official website a little difficult to navigate, and if I didn't frequent this forum, I wouldn't know the policy.

I will say that my experience with repairs has been wonderful. I would never expect to be able to send in a ten year old bag to be repaired, but they have always tracked down (even if that means having someone at the warehouse in Italy look) what I need, if they have it, so that I can fix something myself.

In fairness to MJ, in 2008 they did look into a lifetime warranty for a fee. Obviously, that was never implemented, for whatever reason. I assume there wasn't a way to make it cost effective.

Being a modestly priced designer (by premiere standards) with a limited warranty apparently hasn't worked out well for the company, though. Maybe it was just previously too "in the middle" - not small enough, like Mulberry, or large enough, like Hermes, to provide a generous repair policy, and not cheap enough for the majority to be comfortable purchasing a bag for that amount without one.

There are many, many factors that go into how fast and why gold plating wears off. The warranty is 18 months, which, personally, I think is a fair amount of time to determine whether or not an item is defective, versus showing normal wear.

I do think that Marc Jacobs needs a more visible repairs department. I personally find the official website a little difficult to navigate, and if I didn't frequent this forum, I wouldn't know the policy.

I will say that my experience with repairs has been wonderful. I would never expect to be able to send in a ten year old bag to be repaired, but they have always tracked down (even if that means having someone at the warehouse in Italy look) what I need, if they have it, so that I can fix something myself.

In fairness to MJ, in 2008 they did look into a lifetime warranty for a fee. Obviously, that was never implemented, for whatever reason. I assume there wasn't a way to make it cost effective.

Being a modestly priced designer (by premiere standards) with a limited warranty apparently hasn't worked out well for the company, though. Maybe it was just previously too "in the middle" - not small enough, like Mulberry, or large enough, like Hermes, to provide a generous repair policy, and not cheap enough for the majority to be comfortable purchasing a bag for that amount without one.
That was exactly what my above deleted post was about.
Well said, Faith, as always.

Ok, I have to put in my thoughts here.
The climate/environment/skin acidity has to have something to do with this. I have 17 Stams, several are 5 years old. I have not had one problem with the hardware. Not one.
I have over 10 other MJ bags. Not one single hardware problem.
I live in N TX, so the winters are dry and the summers are a little humid - not like ocean air humid, though.
I'm so curious about this.
I see thread starter lives on the coast, and the other lives in Paris. Is Paris humid? Doesn't it rain there a lot?
Do you think the humidity/sea salty air on the coast is the culprit, plus maybe skin acidity?

Still sorry this is happening to some, but it is not happening to everyone.

That was exactly what my above deleted post was about.
Well said, Faith, as always.

Surely Stam straps are fairly standard and it's not unreasonable to expect to be able to buy a replacement?

I am not complaining this happened, merely the frustration they would not repair or supply me with a chain strap to do it myself. :graucho: I never expected a free repair either. I stated to them from the beginning I would pay for it. :Pullhair::Pullhair:

I believe the bag cost just over $1200 whilst on a trip to the US, that's counts as expensive to me. I thought the bag was lovely at the time but because I had a large Mulberry Bayswater collection I tended to favour them.

I probably used the bag no more than 10 times, fairly briefly

I do live on the Coast in the UK, which was why I mentioned it because of the sea air. However I do have over 30 bags, I love hardware and this has not happened on any of my other bags. I have a few Chanel bags with chain straps and have had several Mulberry Lily bags but never had a problem.

Mulberry made up most of my collection at one time, They give fantastic after sales care. I have had leather straps, scratched plaques & hardware replaced, piping re-done etc on bags that were many years older than my Stam. Piping was actually replaced on a vintage Bays that was actually about 15 years old. :tup: I know allot of the mulberry girls are unhappy with their aftercare. I can't imagine what they'd make of this :confused1:

Last edited: