Stacking Love rings with eternity bands - scratches?

Onebagtoomany

O.G.
Apr 16, 2011
I am soooo excited! :woot: After debating whether to go for the standard size Love ring (5mm) or the wedding band version, I have finally ordered the rose gold Love ring in the wedding band size from the Cartier at T3, Heathrow and will pick it up when I go through there in mid Jan. I am buying it as a right hand ring and went for the slimmer size in the end as I think it will look better (and be more comfortable) stacked with other rings.

I'm planning to mainly stack it with my platinum diamond full eternity band which is in a shared prong setting, but am now a bit scared that it may scratch the Love ring because of shared prong setting :sad: How do those of you who have Love rings (wide or slim versions) stack yours? Do you find that the Love ring scratches easily when stacked with eternity bands? I am planning on getting a couple of very slim stacking rings which are channel set at some point but would be gutted not to be able to wear my existing band with my Love as it comes from my grandmother and means a lot to me, plus I love the look of platinum with rose gold.

Your thoughts would be appreciated, TIA! :smile:

They're going to scratch each other, the only way to prevent it is not wear them together at all. I would be more worried about the shared prong than the love, to be totally honest though. Can you post side views of both? Where they "hit" on each other will matter.

only the side of it would get scratched though right? with the love bangles, for example, wearing them together the sides to scratch eachother but you don't really see it as it is on the side. plus, cartier can always send them out to be polished if it really upsets you after some time. i agree though, i'd be more worried about the eternity band's prongs getting moved/stones loosening. is it very low profile? or sit up higher? will they be flush?

They're going to scratch each other, the only way to prevent it is not wear them together at all. I would be more worried about the shared prong than the love, to be totally honest though. Can you post side views of both? Where they "hit" on each other will matter.

only the side of it would get scratched though right? with the love bangles, for example, wearing them together the sides to scratch eachother but you don't really see it as it is on the side. plus, cartier can always send them out to be polished if it really upsets you after some time. i agree though, i'd be more worried about the eternity band's prongs getting moved/stones loosening. is it very low profile? or sit up higher? will they be flush?

Thanks both, I'll see if I can take a photo of the side view of the eternity. I don't have the Love ring in my possession yet as I'm collecting it from Heathrow when I go to visit my parents in mid-Jan - 20% off the price duty-free was too tempting :graucho:

I'm not so worried about damaging the eternity band as it seems to be very sturdy (is also over 20 years old, perhaps older) but I won't be happy if the Love ring is scratched too heavily which it sounds like it will be if stacked with the eternity. Is there any way round this - if I bought a channel set band would it avoid scratches or at least minimise them? Part of the reason I went for the slimmer size of the Love ring was to be able to stack, although I will wear it on its own sometimes.

I stack my Love wedding ring with two eternities but they are pretty small so the girdle of the diamonds are below the edge of the Love. The sides are duller than the front of the ring I suppose that's from stacking. I never would have noticed it if I hadn't looked for it, the sides are duller overall, I can't see individual scratches. I have a larger shared prong band but I haven't stacked it with the Love. It doesn't seem like it would damage it beyond the sides of the ring. I'm sure it will depend on how your eternity ring is specifically made. I think you'll have to wait and see where/if the diamonds actually touch the Love ring. Can't wait to see your pics!

Well it's going to scratch the side its up against, there is no way to prevent that other than not wearing it with another ring. That's gonna happen with any ring, period. Metal on metal is just going to do that. My main concern is what is going to actually rub on the Love, and what spot the Love will hit on that eternity band.

You can always buy a slim donut ring, or another type of spacer/buffer ring, to put between the two to keep the sentimental/designer/expensive pieces from getting damaged. It will get pretty scratched up, but who cares!

Well it's going to scratch the side its up against, there is no way to prevent that other than not wearing it with another ring. That's gonna happen with any ring, period. Metal on metal is just going to do that. My main concern is what is going to actually rub on the Love, and what spot the Love will hit on that eternity band.

I never thought about stacking causing damage...it seems as though the diamond band would be more vulnerable since the prongs and diamond girdles could be getting rubbed. The Love is probably only going to get rubbed on the sides. I don't like to wear my ering with my Love, the bottom prong of my ering really looks like it's going to gouge off the edge of Love ring. I don't want to risk damaging either.

etk123 said:
I never thought about stacking causing damage...it seems as though the diamond band would be more vulnerable since the prongs and diamond girdles could be getting rubbed. The Love is probably only going to get rubbed on the sides. I don't like to wear my ering with my Love, the bottom prong of my ering really looks like it's going to gouge off the edge of Love ring. I don't want to risk damaging either.

The Ering in that case would be my concern. The love would eventually dig into that prong and you could be dealing with integrity of the prong later on. Stacking will cause damage if exposed edges rub and bang, but stacking anything will have two rings rubbing even if they're plain. So scratching and depending on whether they're the same metal or not, there will eventually be wearing down "eating away" in some cases. Eternity bands are the worst in stacks if they're open settings, ESP two open settings on top of one another without a plain spacer to prevent diamonds from eating away at each other.

Wear what you love and pay attention to the pieces, keep them clean and get them checked out regularly.

I wear my shared prong eternity with a silver band, both from Tiffany's. There are some light scratches on the silver band, but nothing that noticeable. They just like the kind of shallow scratches you will get from daily wear even when you wear the ring alone.

Here we go - shots of the ring as it looks from above, behind and the best photo I could manage of the setting. Sorry for the poor quality of the photos and my dry, scaly hands - I need a manicure!

Attachments

• IMG_0537.JPG
    IMG_0537.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,684
  • IMG_0533.JPG
    IMG_0533.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,774
  • IMG_0542.JPG
    IMG_0542.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,383
I know you're worried about the Love being damaged, I stand by my concern about the eternity band. I don't THINK the diamonds should get ruined but depending how thick the Love band is it could hit right above the top of the basket and cause a little rubbing on those prongs. Wait and see when you get it. It might be that you need a spacer between them or you just don't wear them side by side.

I know you're worried about the Love being damaged, I stand by my concern about the eternity band. I don't THINK the diamonds should get ruined but depending how thick the Love band is it could hit right above the top of the basket and cause a little rubbing on those prongs. Wait and see when you get it. It might be that you need a spacer between them or you just don't wear them side by side.

Thanks for the advice Ame, I have been planning to get a couple more stacking rings at some point anyway so I guess if I choose the setting carefully I could wear one of those as a spacer and then only wear my existing eternity band on top. The Love ring will be the slim one - 3 mm - but I get what you are saying about it hitting above the top of the basket.

The width isn't the issue, it's the thickness and the edge. And if the metals are different, ie one is plat and the other is gold, the gold is going to get eaten away by the platinum faster, not like immediately, but over time the gold will go faster.