SS Alexa.. to keep or not to keep?

Jul 10, 2012
Last week I purchased the SS Alexa in Nightshade via mail order. It arrived on Thursday and I've only just looked at it properly for the first time today.

There are a few imperfections on the bag but not really noticeable- only noticed it when actually staring at my bag inch by inch :P It's mainly on the strap, there a few tiny parts of the strap where it looks like it has been scuffed and so the leather has lifted. There is also some lifting on the smaller snake bits but not enough to see the white underneath.. Also, I think it was a display model as the magnetic locks are quite scuffed.

I don't know whether to return it or not.. hmm :hrmm: I really like it but it's just not in pristine condition, am I asking for too much as it is such a delicate bag?

freckleface45

Oct 15, 2011
Last week I purchased the SS Alexa in Nightshade via mail order. It arrived on Thursday and I've only just looked at it properly for the first time today.

There are a few imperfections on the bag but not really noticeable- only noticed it when actually staring at my bag inch by inch :P It's mainly on the strap, there a few tiny parts of the strap where it looks like it has been scuffed and so the leather has lifted. There is also some lifting on the smaller snake bits but not enough to see the white underneath.. Also, I think it was a display model as the magnetic locks are quite scuffed.

I don't know whether to return it or not.. hmm :hrmm: I really like it but it's just not in pristine condition, am I asking for too much as it is such a delicate bag?

I recently had exactly the same experience with a Large Fox Lily I purchased on line.

Beautiful bag but was badly marked at different parts on the leather.

No matter how many times I looked at it my eye when straight to it. In the end I knew I wouldn't be 100% happy so decided to take it back.

I know I did the right thing - as much as I loved the bag it was too much money not to be perfect. You have to ask yourself can you live with it ? or would it bug you? quite honestly this isn't a river island bag we are talking about - the bags are a lot of money, even a sale bag should be pristene you haven't bought a sub. This is just my opinion!!:smile:

Cupcake2008

Jan 14, 2012
Strawberrylaces - will the place you bought it from have another one to replace it with? Second question, if you returned it and didn't find a replacement, will you regret returning her?

When my SS Alexa arrived, there was a light scratch on the postman's lock and the hardware on the straps was scratched. I sent pictures of the scratches to the online retailer I bought it from and they offered me a 10% discount on the sale price, which helped me make up my mind to keep her!

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you do! x

Roxaholic

May 9, 2012
I recently had exactly the same experience with a Large Fox Lily I purchased on line.

No matter how many times I looked at it my eye when straight to it. In the end I knew I wouldn't be 100% happy so decided to take it back.

I know I did the right thing - as much as I loved the bag it was too much money not to be perfect. You have to ask yourself can you live with it ? or would it bug you? quite honestly this isn't a river island bag we are talking about - the bags are a lot of money, even a sale bag should be pristene you haven't bought a sub. This is just my opinion!!:smile:

Well said freckleface45 - I know complete perfection in something is impossible - but at these prices we expect something pretty close!!!:smile:

Jul 9, 2009
I agree with all the ladies so far- a sale bag should be perfect- and with this leather in particular I would worry than any current defects will only get worse over time- get a refund- there is plenty in the new season to take your fancy?

Roxaholic

May 9, 2012
Strawberrylaces - will the place you bought it from have another one to replace it with? Second question, if you returned it and didn't find a replacement, will you regret returning her?

When my SS Alexa arrived, there was a light scratch on the postman's lock and the hardware on the straps was scratched. I sent pictures of the scratches to the online retailer I bought it from and they offered me a 10% discount on the sale price, which helped me make up my mind to keep her!

.....Lady O came with a scratch on the inner part of her lock plate....but things like that will happen over time anyway....and as it was preowned I wasn't too bothered - but when purchasing brand new - you really want it to be pretty much spot-on - and any scratches/marks thereon are par for the course and part of it's character......(soz - banging on again as usual;)

Jul 10, 2012
Roxaholic said:
Well said freckleface45 - I know complete perfection in something is impossible - but at these prices we expect something pretty close!!!:smile:

I know! I found a few more scuff marks on the bag and just don't know if it's worth it as it was only 20% off and the more I look at it, the more faults I find! :sad:

Cupcake2008 said:

I ordered my bag from one an actual mulberry store so I have just emailed customer services to see if they are able to locate another bag for me to exchange.. I really hope they can find another one as I really love this bag! Plus with the sale over I am not sure if they will be able to..

freckleface45 said:

Yes I agree with you freckle, it's a lot of money for an imperfect bag. It will go back if I can't exchange it for another one! Head is ruling over heart! :P

Roxaholic

May 9, 2012

Hi there! - definitely agree with the general consensus here - you're not happy and I don't blame you - nor would I be - and, as Elvis said, you are paying a lot of money and it doesn't matter if it is sale or not - it should be pristine.....def get refund, and if it can't be replaced, find something which makes your heart sing!!:biggrin::tup::yes:

Jul 10, 2012
Roxaholic said:
.....Lady O came with a scratch on the inner part of her lock plate....but things like that will happen over time anyway....and as it was preowned I wasn't too bothered - but when purchasing brand new - you really want it to be pretty much spot-on - and any scratches/marks thereon are par for the course and part of it's character......(soz - banging on again as usual;)

elvisfan4life said:
I agree with all the ladies so far- a sale bag should be perfect- and with this leather in particular I would worry than any current defects will only get worse over time- get a refund- there is plenty in the new season to take your fancy?

I will see what Mulberry comes back with but if there isn't another one I will refund it and if it was meant to be I will find another! Thanks for helping my make up my mind, I know that I shouldn't settle but I really love it but you ladies have put me back on the right path :P

J.A.N.

Designer Crazy
O.G.
Nov 6, 2010
Oh what a shame its so annoying when that happens i would personally give it back and get a replacement if their is one. If thats what you would like. I was tempted to get this ss myself but what put me off was the delicate nature of the leather and it may slouch as some have said.
How much did u pay for it if you dont mind me asking?
The printed range is much more hard wearing and robust but i would say that as i am bias and mines coming tomorrow. :woot::woot::woot:

Jul 10, 2012
J.A.N. said:
Oh what a shame its so annoying when that happens i would personally give it back and get a replacement if their is one. If thats what you would like. I was tempted to get this ss myself but what put me off was the delicate nature of the leather and it may slouch as some have said.
How much did u pay for it if you dont mind me asking?
The printed range is much more hard wearing and robust but i would say that as i am bias and mines coming tomorrow. :woot::woot::woot:

When I bought the bag I was prepared to having to baby it because of the delicate leather as it was so special- maybe one of the first Alexa's I really wanted but I wasn't prepared for the bag that came. I am making it sound like it looks a mess but it doesn't, only up close but like everyone has said its a lot of money for an imperfect bag. It was £760 + £7.50 postage. I do like the printed range though and the many of the Alexa's are growing on me. The other is the Oak Cookie Bays or The heritage Bay in Nightshade :P

J.A.N.

Designer Crazy
O.G.
Nov 6, 2010
When I bought the bag I was prepared to having to baby it because of the delicate leather as it was so special- maybe one of the first Alexa's I really wanted but I wasn't prepared for the bag that came. I am making it sound like it looks a mess but it doesn't, only up close but like everyone has said its a lot of money for an imperfect bag. It was £760 + £7.50 postage. I do like the printed range though and the many of the Alexa's are growing on me. The other is the Oak Cookie Bays or The heritage Bay in Nightshade :P

Yes i agree it is a lot of money.
Out of the three you have chosen heres my pref's
If i had to choose.
1.alexa ss
2.heritage bays
3.oak cookie bays
All fab choices.

I would go for the ss then 1st.
Do they have a replacement?
I saw one one ebay that was just sold for 800.00.
If so go for it as i think this is the best one out of your 3 as long as you like thats what matters.
If not then you have two other choices as well. Cant wait for your reveal.
An alexa is an iconic bag and a must.;)
By the way you have insipred me to wear a dress for my reveal for the 1st time in years.!!!!

I had the same thing with a Bella hobo that I got in the sale via mail order. It just wasn't pristine and I knew it would annoy me and that I could see the imperfections every time I looked at it. Had to send it back. I agree with the consensus it has to be perfect even if it is a sale bag. Hope they can find you another one. Fingers crossed.

Jul 10, 2012
Are scratches normal for Mulberry bags? I has still yet to hear from Mulberry for the SS Alexa but in the meantime have purchased a Heritage Bay from a department store over the phone. I found a scratch and contacted the store and they said that Mulberry does not count that as a fault but it's character?

I feel disheartened after these two incidences and after other threads I have recently read..

Attachments

• image-380925048.jpg
    image-380925048.jpg
    561.5 KB · Views: 313

sacdujour

Feb 1, 2012
Are scratches normal for Mulberry bags? I has still yet to hear from Mulberry for the SS Alexa but in the meantime have purchased a Heritage Bay from a department store over the phone. I found a scratch and contacted the store and they said that Mulberry does not count that as a fault but it's character?

I feel disheartened after these two incidences and after other threads I have recently read..

WHAAATTT!!!? That's complete rubbish. A scratch is a fault. Character is what YOU give the bag through YOUR wear and tear. Unless you are completely in love with this bag, you should return it. I bought a Heritage Bay before Christmas from the display and apart from the plastic coverings not being present on the postman's lock, it was absolutely immaculate. Let us know what you decide ...