Spring wedding - what to wear?

gee

O.G.
Nov 30, 2006
Hello all,

I'm going to a wedding this weekend and am having a difficult time deciding what to wear. The wedding will be at a church at 2p and the reception is at a hotel around 6p. I was planning on wearing a baby pink dress (perfect for spring and a church setting), but now I think it may be too casual.

According to my bf's mother, she was told it was a "formal" affair. I'm not so sure it is. (The wedding invites were playful and untraditional, church ceremony in the afternoon.)

I'm thinking to stay away from dark colors and refrain from wearing an LBD..I mean, it is spring. Any advice on what to wear? Need something appropriate for the church ceremony and the reception! TIA!

Wear something light in either pastel shades or with a floral print.

I'm going to a wedding next week as well. The wedding will also be at a church (morning) and the reception will be at a hotel (6 pm). I'm actually going to wear two dresses: a strapless cotton red & white floral dress from Zara 2006 with my red Simple CLs and at night I will wear a tight black D&G number with either black patent Ernesta or black suede VPs ;)

If you can find something in chiffon or a silk mix it would be perfect and will take you from day to evening. Remember, don't show too much cleavage or leg, don't wear white or black and NO SEQUINS (it'll look fantastic for evening but not in the afternoon).

Just my 2 cents. Whatever you wear, have fun with it and wear some kicka** shoes!

Adding some pics to give you ideas from Shopbop.com

karen2010712172_prod_medium_v1_m56577569831110061.jpg
splen2026312165_prod_medium_v1_m56577569831118466.jpg

mmarc2005413203_prod_medium_v1_m56577569831115472.jpg
alice2024813004_prod_medium_v1_m56577569831114091.jpg

brett2002816805_prod_medium_v1_m56577569831109163.jpg
theor2033122372_prod_medium_v1_m56577569831111703.jpg
thaye2006510917_prod_medium_v1_m56577569831112199.jpg

Last edited:
Personally I'd choose something like this:
image1xl.jpg

Or this:

image1xl.jpg

But it's up to you. If you feel comforable in your pink dress then do so but if you think it's too casual you could always glam it up with accesories. :P

Wear the pink dress to the church and another dress to the reception. Or change up your accessories for the reception. People rarely wear the same dress to the church and reception if the reception doesn't immediately follow.

perhaps something with a jacket for the church ceremony, that can be removed to have a strapless (or similar) dress for the reception. i'd go with a darker pink if it is heading into late afternoon/evening.

it is no fun to feel underdressed in church...or overly conservative for a reception!

thanks for the input ladies! i'm searching for another dress or some cute shoes to glam up the dress i already have. no luck today, but i still have time. :flowers:

paelaf- you answered a question i had in my mind. i wasn't sure if people usually wore different things to the ceremony and reception. all of the weddings i've attended have had receptions that immediately followed the ceremonies.

I'd suggest these dresses. They are all formal without being too dressy and they'll carry you from the afternoon cermony to the reception in the evening. If you'd like to dress more conservatively for the afternoon cermony, you could easily drape each dress with a shawl or a bolero jacket.

32170_in_l.jpg

27564_fr_l.jpg

32264_fr_l.jpg

32320_fr_l.jpg

purpled - thank you..i was looking at some similar strapless dresses yesterday, but they didn't fit right!

snibor - unfortunately, the invitation does not say anything about dress.

btw, this was the dress i was planning to wear. (girl in the pic is not me). :P

11712716333.jpg
11712716334.jpg
11712716336.jpg

i've actually worn this dress to another wedding, but the reception was at a restaurant, not a hotel. i feel that it's appropriate for the church ceremony, but not the reception. thoughts?

^I like that BCBG dress too!! I'd look into some BCBG dresses, they have really cute stuff and most of it is appropriate for attending weddings. I wore a BCBG dress for my cousin's spring wedding as well.
GEE- I think that pink dress is ok. But I'm just wondering whats the age group of the wedding? That dress looks more like something for older age group events, very conservative. I'd go for something more floral and flirty.

^ i think the bcbg dress is cute too. i might have seen it in a different color, but i didn't try it on. azhangie...the bride and groom are in their early 30s. i agree, the dress i have seems pretty conservative, but it looks better IRL. my bf actually loves the dress and is urging me to wear it. :P

i wanted this betsey johnson dress, but they didn't have my size. i've been to nordstrom, bloomies, macy's, a couple of boutiques...and nada!
4581_royal_l.jpg

btw, this was the dress i was planning to wear. (girl in the pic is not me). :P

11712716333.jpg
11712716334.jpg
11712716336.jpg

i've actually worn this dress to another wedding, but the reception was at a restaurant, not a hotel. i feel that it's appropriate for the church ceremony, but not the reception. thoughts?

well since its daytime inchurch you can wear this one.. if not get another one that you can use for both maybe with a different fabric or you can change your accesories .. i know how stressing it is to change clothes like this specially if the reception its far or if theres not alot of time in between.. ive been having these problem I also have awedding for this saturday but this one its formal the church n weddin are in the night so im goin for a dark color... i really like that BCBG they posted around here look for something like that that color its perfect also it can go with the day and night cuz its like a golden beige in a way its perfect color.. you can also get an idea on www.edressme.com this website helped me get the idea of what i was gonna look 2 late 2 buy it from there, but consider that BCBG or get an alike color even that pink rose one its nice but this dress needs a little more for the night time, for the day this dress its ok.:okay: