Spotting a fake LV

Fefster

Aug 17, 2015
Do you know if there is anywhere online that you can go and see comprehensive photos of every signature LV bag, right down to the detail for each specific bag?

So for example, the Montaigne MM in Empreinte, a place where I can see very detailed photos of all the detailing, interior etc?

Thanks

Do you know if there is anywhere online that you can go and see comprehensive photos of every signature LV bag, right down to the detail for each specific bag?

So for example, the Montaigne MM in Empreinte, a place where I can see very detailed photos of all the detailing, interior etc?

Thanks

Just post pics on the authentication thread here so someone can authenticate for you. What you're asking for doesn't exists anywhere. If it did, counterfeiters would have a ball!

Actually someone made a great point about counterfeiting. They don't need to study information online, these people buy real bags and take them apart to see the details.

Why would counterfeiters 'have a ball'? There are a couple of reasons that I ask:

First one is - surely counterfeiters are buying a sample bag anyway

Secondly, counterfeiters may be able to do superfakes and copy detail closely, but they will never reach the real level of detail from the manufacturer because it would be too expensive.

Having a resource which shows the very intricate detail of a bag wouldn't make it more likely to be copied, only that the counterfeiters would find it more difficult to get away with producing fakes.

I think it is the secrecy that causes an issue in some ways. If people could properly self-authenticate, the fakes would be less.

Just post pics on the authentication thread here so someone can authenticate for you. What you're asking for doesn't exists anywhere. If it did, counterfeiters would have a ball!

I have to say I don't agree with this argument.. "High end" counterfeiters will actually buy authentic bags and use them as guides. That is how superfakes come to exist.

EDIT: Fefster beat me to it. My thoughts exactly. 😊

The problem with "self-authentication" is that anyone on Teh Evilbay, for instance, can label the stuff they sell as "authenticated"... by themselves. Which opens the can to a whole lot of nasty worms, from sheer ignorance to deliberate negligence, and downright malice.

Given the market value of such items, and no matter how many LVs I´ve had in my hands and studied, I´d still much rather refer to a real expert with a much-merited rep to defend than to self-authentication. YMMV, of course.

I have an idea to do just this as an altruistic project.

To produce an ultimate guide for every single signature LV bag and then some others as things progress, with more information about the detail than can be found anywhere online.

I feel that ignorance about the real product causes a market for fakes.

What do you think? Is that something you would be interested in? Say if you saw something on eBay and then could go and get a proper authentication guide for that specific model? No guarantees of course, but at least you could make a proper, informed decision.

The problem with "self-authentication" is that anyone on Teh Evilbay, for instance, can label the stuff they sell as "authenticated"... by themselves. Which opens the can to a whole lot of nasty worms, from sheer ignorance to deliberate negligence, and downright malice.

Given the market value of such items, and no matter how many LVs I´ve had in my hands and studied, I´d still much rather refer to a real expert with a much-merited rep to defend than to self-authentication. YMMV, of course.

This is true, however, if you were going to buy a bag from somewhere secondhand, it would be useful to have really detailed photos for comparison, would it not?

Regardless, it's always been TPF practice to avoid giving intricate details of bag construction, for the reason stated. Hoping otherwise won't pan out here.

The best way to become expert at self-authentication is by hands-on, longtime involvement with a brand or bag type. Nothing takes the place of that, including staring at photos online. There's a lot of information that pictures alone don't capture. Short of that, authentication by actual experts is the safest route when buying from resellers.

Regardless, it's always been TPF practice to avoid giving intricate details of bag construction, for the reason stated. Hoping otherwise won't pan out here.

Interesting, so there is basically nowhere you can get this info at the moment?

I understand about the authenticators on here not giving intricate details however I did have a situation once where I was told the bag was good and then I spotted a detail which they did not see, which made it likely fake.

Ultimately, I would rather know that I had taken the time to check myself, because I cannot expect an authenticator on here to spend much time looking at my potential purchase and I would feel more comfortable taking it into my own hands.

Besides, the authenticators on here just view from photos - they don't have the real bag in their hands.

Please note, I very much appreciate the work the authenticators do on here.

Besides, the authenticators on here just view from photos - they don't have the real bag in their hands.

Yes, but as experts they have the preparation to make sense of photos only, whereas nonexperts don't. And if you think you haven't found your experts here in TPF's Auth threads, there are of course paid services.